MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think she should retire...just because I don't think she's in the game anymore. But like I said before...I think it makes her a pretty shitty role model to just tuck her tail and run. Took her like an entire year to come back from the first loss...and two losses is all it takes to send her away for good? That's a lame role model..."fail once...take a year off and try again...fail twice...give up forever"...

She really just needs to join a camp where the coach knows what they are doing. Listen to the video last night of her corner, shes getting chipped up and not once does he tell her to back off out of Nunes range. I want to see her hook up with Greg Jackson or maybe even bite the bullet and train with Duke Roufus and Holly Holm.

Former WWE announcer Todd Grisham has been a steady presence in the world of sports broadcasting for years … and now he’s adding UFC to his impressive resume.

Though his new position hasn’t been formerly announced, Grisham recently changed his Twitter profile to include UFC among those he announces for and noted that he’s changed his handle.

He’s also been retweeting people who are congratulating him on the new UFC gig.

This news comes on the heels of long-time UFC announcer Mike Goldberg‘s exit from the company last month, who certainly leaves behind some big shoes to fill, but for now it seems Grisham will only be doing commentary for fights that air on FS1. He debuts January 15th at UFC Fight Night.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/todd-grisham-ufc-announcer/#.WGxdnLEZOAw

Ronda shouldn't have gotten the title fight in the first place but instead should have taken a tune up fight. Maybe a few of them under her belt so that she could mentally be prepared for a title match, but of course Dana wanted the money fight to happen right away.

Whch is smart for the company sure but it really sucks for Ronda. Anyways I liked the Lion mask and would like to see more things like that in MMA. Sick of the media and fans complaining about MMA competitors being unprofessional/unsportsmanlike over every little thing. I mean seriously. These people are FIGHTERS, so let them act like fighters. If a fight breaks out at the press conference so what? As a fighting fan I want to see that. I want to see them hate each other. Not want to pat gloves or any of that until they themselves choose to put their own differences aside when the war is all said and done.

Just another reason why the world is soft these days.

Move over, Conor McGregor. Amanda Nunes is coming for your rarified air.

Nunes, the UFCs womens bantamweight champion, tweeted Saturday that she wants to win the featherweight title, too, tossing out a challenge to either Holly Holm or Germaine de Randamie.

Nunes defended the 135-pound title for the first time last month at UFC 207 when she beat Ronda Rousey by TKO in just 48 seconds. The Brazilian won the belt from Miesha Tate by first-round submission at UFC 200 in July.

Holm and de Randamie will meet for the inaugural UFC womens 145-pound title in the main event of UFC 208 on Feb. 11 in Brooklyn. Megan Anderson, the brand new Invicta interim featherweight champ, also called out the Holm-de Randamie winner on Saturday night.

Nunes (14-4) does have some suitors for her bantamweight title. Julianna Peña and Valentina Shevchenko will meet in the main event of UFC on FOX 23 on Jan. 28 in Denver. The winner of that bout would be a clear-cut top contender for the 135-pound belt.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/14/14276984/amanda-nunes-wants-featherweight-title-challenges-holly-holm-germaine-de-randamie-winner

I hope Chael Sonnen beats the ever loving shit out of Tito Ortiz tonight...

Well...that fight was shit. Legit feel bad for Sonnen having to fight a dude who is so juiced up, that he could just squeeze in a hold that isn't even applied right...and still win. Let's be honest...that's what happened. You can't turn someone purple with a choke that isn't even cinched in, when it's locked on the jaw area...unless you're full of PEDs. Shameful fight...but at least Tito is gone now, and I never have see his giant head ever again.

Marina Shafir of the MMA Four Horsewomen recently spoke with Justin Barrasso for Sports Illustrated Extra Mustards Week In Wrestling. You can read a few excerpts below:

Marina Shafir comments on how the Four Horsewomen of MMA might fare in WWE if they were to ever appear for the company:

Wrestling is a show, and its very much entertainment. Youre playing off of a character youre perceived to be. None of us would have a problem losing a wrestling match, especially Ronda. Its all about how the characters would be built up, so wed have to see how it played out. I dont think we would overshadow the womens division, but I am convinced that we would be a force to be reckoned with. The reality of actually going in the Octagon and fighting is a sense of realism that, no matter how great the promo, no wrestler could ever overshadow. I mean, look at Brock Lesnar.

It would be really fun if we all went to WWE together, and the idea is very exciting to all of us. All of us are at different stages in our lives, but synchronicity eventually happens. There will be a point in all of our lives where were orbiting around the same goals.

Shafir reveals who the groups dream team of opponents would be:

We would wrestle Chyna, Lita, Nattie Hart, and Charlotte. The match would end with me and Chyna in a standoff in the middle of the ring. Shes looking down at me, Im staring right back at her, the crowd goes nutsshe walks away slowly, and out of nowhere she power bombs me into smithereens.

Does Shafir think Ronda Rousey will ever fight again in the UFC?

I dont know if shell ever fight again. Before I was pregnant, I was coming off two losses. You just learn. This is a learning process. Ronda is very dedicated and passionate. Her whole life is based on rising, all the time. I dont have any doubt that she wont, its just that everybody thinks that they know who she is. Everybody thinks they know the situation, and everybody thinks they know everythings that is going on in her life. She just needs to be left alone and process this on her own. The loss itself? She just wasnt there that night, and theres nothing wrong with that. The media has come at her mercilessly and fighters that had supported her throughout her career are taking this opportunity to kick her while shes down. Shes already wonshe blazed a fing trail and has a whole road named after her. Shes still impacting women, still impacting the fight industry, and a lot of the reason that there is this new wave of younger up-and-coming female grapplers and fighters is because of her.

Ronda can easily excuse this loss on some of the serious damage she has taken to her body in the last four-five years, but you dont and you wont ever hear about any of itbecause as a champion, she has never made excuses. It is fascinating to me how she was encouraged all along throughout her career to reach these, assumedly, unreachable heights of success, and now that shes made it, everyone who has supported her is trying to shoot her down. No one likes a winner, and shes still won at life, so thats why the hate continues. I understand if she decides to fight again and I also understand if she doesnt.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/798091-marina-shafir-comments-on-how-the-mma-four-horsewomen-would-fare-in-wwe-ideal-opponents-if-ronda-rousey-will-return-to-ufc

Stipe and JDS meeting for the title. Werdum is probably livid.

The first one with Stipe and JDS was insane. One of the best fights going. Also *Censored* Werdum for thinking he should be allowed to wait around and be #1 contender. I know it's worked in the past for people like Woodley but I honestly think if you're staying inactive and not taking reasonable fights you should go down the pecking order. It's not like Werdum is on a crazy run either. His last win was against Travis Browne who's been getting his ass beat.

UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor spoke with FOX Sports and confirmed talks are still going on with WWE about a potential WrestleMania 33 appearance. McGregor had the following to say:

Never say never. I know theres been conversations. I know Triple H was at the show (UFC 205). Id love to go to that WWE and have a real knock. Let one of them have a real knock and see whats what. Well see. Theres conversations ongoing. Ive turned down some things, conversations still ongoing.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/799571-conor-mcgregor-teases-wrestlemania-33-appearance

Count Dana White among those who thinks that Ronda Rousey is done fighting.

During an appearance on UFC Unfiltered the UFC president said he had talked to Rousey very recently, and his gut feeling after the conversation was that the transcendent former champion has fought her last time in the Octagon.

In the conversation I had with her, if I had to say right here right now and again, I dont like saying right here right now because its up to her but I wouldnt say she fights again, he told hosts Jim Norton and Matt Serra. I think shes probably done. Shes going to ride off into the sunset and start living life outside of fighting.

After 13 months away from fighting, the 29-year-old Rousey returned at UFC 207 in late December against Amanda Nunes for the bantamweight title. Nunes made quick work of Rousey, scoring an emphatic TKO finish just 48 seconds into the pay-per-view.

As she did after losing her title to Holly Holm at UFC 193, Rousey stepped out of the spotlight following the loss. She hasnt gone on record indicating one way or another if she intends to return.

White said Rousey was in good spirits when he spoke to her, and that she was in the process of moving on with things. When asked if her recent slide might have been psychological pinned on the fact that so many considered her invincible White thought there were other factors.

Its not even that I think its an invincible thing, its just that shes so competitive that her career and record meant everything to here, he said. And then once she lost, she started to say to herself, what the f*ck am I doing? This is my whole life this is it? I want to experience and start doing other things. And I think thats what she started to do, and shes got a lot of money. Shes never going to need money again.

Because, unless you spend money like Floyd [Mayweather], youre not going to need money again when you have the kind of money Ronda has.

White said that he thought Rousey was planning to move to a more desolate place, out of the spotlight, and get on with her life.

Im happy for her, man, he said. She came in, she changed the world. She put female fighting on the map. Shes been part of the biggest fights in the history of womens fighting, and I hope those records can be broken. I dont know if they can, but I hope they can.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/31/14451930/dana-white-on-prospect-of-ronda-rousey-ever-fighting-again-i-think-shes-probably-done

Archived