MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brock Lesnar has been suspended for one year and fined $250,000 for a pair of failed drug tests that were revealed after UFC 200.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto was the first to report the official punishment Thursday.

Lesnar returned to the Octagon for the first time in nearly five years at UFC 200 and scored a unanimous-decision victory over Mark Hunt to boost his career record to 6-3, but the win was changed to a no-contest Thursday, per Okamoto.

According to Shaun Al-Shatti of MMAFighting.com, the 39-year-old tested positive for the banned substance hydroxy-clomiphene, which resulted in a temporary suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Lesnar was still under contract with WWE at the time of the fight, and he has since competed in matches against Randy Orton at SummerSlam and against Bill Goldberg in November at Survivor Series.

The Beast Incarnate is one of two Superstars, along with Goldberg, who have been announced for participation in January's Royal Rumble match.

While Lesnar's UFC future is unclear, he will be eligible to compete in the summer of 2017 should he and the promotion reach an agreement.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2682083-brock-lesnar-suspended-1-year-fined-for-failed-drug-tests-around-ufc-200

- Conor McGregor isn't sure where the UFC got this idea that he is taking an extended break from. The reigning lightweight champion recently told RTE Sport out of Ireland that he still wants to meet with the new owners to discuss his future before anything is decided.

"As far as a break, I don't know. I know Dana's (White) been on record been like 10 months, he's taking 10 months. What do you say 10 months? Originally I thought the baby was being born in March and then it was May and then I was like maybe I could get another one. But I just don't know," McGregor said (thanks to FOXSports.com for the quotes). "I'm weighing up my options. Again, I expect that conversation, I expect them to fly that jet to me. Ari (Emanuel), Patrick (Whitesell), the new owners from WME-IMG, the guys that bought the UFC for $4 billion, I want to speak to them."

McGregor became the first fighter to hold titles in two different weight classes when he finished Eddie Alvarez last month for the lightweight belt. He previously won the featherweight title, though he never defended it and was forced to give it up to Jose Aldo.

"I want to see what their plan is cause right now I don't know what anybody's plan is. All I know is they're trying to type onto a keyboard and say we're taking this belt and we're taking that belt, we're doing this, we're doing that you ain't doing nothing without contacting me first," McGregor said. "I'm ready for anything. I did say I was going to take a break but a Christmas break, the holidays. At least give me the holidays off. We'll see what happens in the future."

- Jose Aldo, who was awarded the featherweight title and expected to unify it with interim champion Max Holloway, played breaking news reporter with MMA Fighting recently. Aldo declared that he is expecting a bout in 2017 for the interim lightweight title, which would put him on a collision course with Conor McGregor.

Aldo lost the featherweight belt last year to McGregor, who never defended it and won the lightweight title in November.

"No, the Brooklyn fight is not happening (with Holloway)," Aldo said. "I now expect and believe I will be fighting in early March. Either March 3 or March 4, I can't remember. I believe they will soon announce an interim lightweight title fight with me. They've been trying to find me an opponent, and - surprise, surprise - at least one has already turned down the fight against me. I'm waiting to see who they will find."

- UFC heavyweight contenders Alistair Overeem and Mark Hunt will square off in a rematch years in the making at UFC 209 in March. The bout is part of the March 4 card from Las Vegas.

Overeem is coming off a knockout loss to Stipe Miocic for the heavyweight title, which snapped his four-fight win streak. Hunt, meanwhile, is 2-0 with a no-contest over his last three. That includes a fight with Brock Lesnar that was switched to a no-contest due to Lesnar failing his drug test.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/1220/620564/conor-mcgregor-delivers-message/

Not sure how to feel about this fight. Rousey looks great...both physically and mentally. She seems calm. Nunes on the other hand, is out there wearing a rubber mask...not even showing her face. Not sure about that strategy. Surely it was meant to be intimidating...but it just came off as juvenile (and like I said...it only served to hide her face)...Think I have Rousey winning based on the current atmosphere. Mental clarity is a big part of fighting.

picks for main card:

Smolka/Borg

Dong Hyung Kim/Tarec Saffiedine

Dillashaw/Lineker

Cruz/Garbrant

Nunes/Rousey

Archived