MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

Did anyone catch the Vinny Mac walk he did before the fight? He's working so *censored*ing hard. :lol:

He was loosening up. Walking like that helps your arms and shoulders stay loose.

Had nothing to do with Vince McMahon.

Monday on RAW: Did you know, before his fight at UFC 202 Conor McGregor imitated the chairman of the board himself and did the Vince McMahon walk.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Diaz didn't get KO'd in the second like Conor said was going to happen.

I honestly don't know why he didn't get KO'd in the first or second...because McGregor dropped him like 4 times at least, and then just didn't follow up. I think Conor could have honestly kept that promise. The opportunities presented themselves.

But they weren't really knockdowns that stunned, when Diaz fell to the floor, he went on his back and invited McGregor to come down. McGregor played it smart and told him to stand up. McGregor was getting gassed and Diaz was trying to take advantage of it, which he did. It would've been over for McGregor if that final round didn't end right after the takedown.

To the contrary, I think Diaz only got that takedown at the end because he knew he was going to lose otherwise. It was a last-ditch attempt at scoring points...which it did. But he only got it because McGregor was counting the end of the fight before it happened. If Nate was more sure of his ability to win without that takedown, he wouldn't have even gone for it. And if McGregor wasn't taking his decision before he earned it, then he probably would have stuffed the attempt anyway...like he did every single other time that Diaz went for a takedown.

And, yeah...I know it would have been a risk following up on the early shots to Diaz, but calculated risks are necessary in fighting. I'm just saying that he COULD have finished Diaz in the early rounds...if he had successfully chose to follow up. The opportunities were there.

If McGregor had of went to the ground and pound after those first couple of knockdowns, Diaz would have tried and probably would have succeeded in tapping him out again. Smart move of Conor's part, tbh. Dude's takedown defense helped a lot, too.

Maybe...maybe not.

And, those knockdowns aside, McGregor definitely had a huge opportunity in the round where Diaz was completely bloodied and kept wiping his face. There was one specific angle where Diaz never saw him coming from. You could tell that Conor could have landed shot after shot to that same spot (and he was)...but he could have delivered something more substantial and won it right there. I kept waiting for a huge headkick when Diaz was distracted, but it never came.

Of course, I'm not talking down McGregor's strategy. I know his strategy was perfect against Diaz. I just think there were a handful of opportunities where he could have finished without it going to decision. Conversely, I never really saw any moments like that for Diaz against McGregor (accept for the takedown at the end, which I already shared my opinion on). I think that was the big difference in this fight. McGregor had moment after moment that he didn't go for because he was playing it safe...and Diaz really never had any moments at all, with the exception of his last ditch effort towards the end.

Draw would have pissed people off in a huge way...and rightfully so (because it wasn't one).

Aside from McGregor being gassed and being on the run, I would love to know what exactly people are giving Diaz in this fight. Mcgregor was running to get better angles, to keep striking. He was merely trying to hustle out of Diaz's reach. Takedowns? McGregor stuffed all of those except the very last one. Strikes? McGregor beat Diaz in strikes in a huge way. Hell...McGregor was even beating Diaz in the clinch most of the time. McGregor was a technician, Diaz was a caveman. I give huge amounts of respect to Diaz for being a walking punching bag...but that's what he was. He's a tough son of a bitch. But he definitely lost that fight.

Draw would have pissed people off in a huge way...and rightfully so (because it wasn't one).

Aside from McGregor being gassed and being on the run, I would love to know what exactly people are giving Diaz in this fight. Mcgregor was running to get better angles, to keep striking. He was merely trying to hustle out of Diaz's reach. Takedowns? McGregor stuffed all of those except the very last one. Strikes? McGregor beat Diaz in strikes in a huge way. Hell...McGregor was even beating Diaz in the clinch most of the time. McGregor was a technician, Diaz was a caveman. I give huge amounts of respect to Diaz for being a walking punching bag...but that's what he was. He's a tough son of a bitch. But he definitely lost that fight.

You do realize Diaz out struck McGregor 252 to 197 and that blocked take downs are judged the way regular take downs are.According to the status Diaz also controlled a majority of the fight. Actually looking at the stats Diaz should have won. Outstruck and out controlled McGregor for the final three rounds.

If McGregor had of went to the ground and pound after those first couple of knockdowns, Diaz would have tried and probably would have succeeded in tapping him out again. Smart move of Conor's part, tbh. Dude's takedown defense helped a lot, too.

Exactly what I was thinking.

You do realize Diaz out struck McGregor 252 to 197

I don't agree with those numbers.

If they want to count Diaz's little slaps as significant strikes, that's their prerogative...but I don't agree with it.

And you say "final three rounds"...but he definitely didn't take the fourth round. I would have to watch the fight again to be sure, but I think that was the round where the bleeding got so bad that he couldn't even see. He lost that round pretty definitively.

I mean you can not agree with the numbers all you want but they are official...

Oh...wouldn't want to have an opinion that goes against the "official" one then, now would we...?

I mean...you realize "official" is just based off three judges with a wide margin of human error, right?

I mean you can not agree with the numbers all you want but they are official...

Oh...wouldn't want to have an opinion that goes against the "official" one then, now would we...?

I mean...you realize "official" is just based off three judges with a wide margin of human error, right?

Which in turn could mean they saw the fight wrong and wrongly judged in favor of McGregor no?

Diaz had more strikes in 2 of the rounds. In one of the rounds it was by such a large margin. However in one of the rounds Diaz had more strikes McGregor knocked him down twice. Not to mention McGregor's striking was very effective. All in all, the decision really could have gone either way but imho, McGregor edged it. Fans should be happy, sets up the trilogy for another amazing fight. What a card that was.

Don't think the third fight would happen since he wants Diaz to drop to his weight class which is 145. He already cuts alot of weight to get down to 155, 145 could seriously damage his health. Good tacit from a guy who lost the first fight and couldn't finish him in the second.

No, he said in the intereview for Diaz to drop to 155... He didn't even mention for Diaz to drop to featherweight. That would be absurd.

Thought I'd post this because the bias towards Diaz is getting annoyed and this ain't Pride rules.

JnhgdBC.png

Did anyone catch the Vinny Mac walk he did before the fight? He's working so *censored*ing hard. :lol:

He was loosening up. Walking like that helps your arms and shoulders stay loose.

Had nothing to do with Vince McMahon.

Lol I knew I'm a few days late but I don't go on the MMA thread.

http://youtu.be/APJARYTAsOg

I guess he was trying to loosen his arms and shoulders up while casually strolling down a hotel hallway while saying "No Chance" too.

McGregor is a fan of Vince. He's called him a legend and acknowledged the older generation of WWE stars. Stone Cold, Triple H and The Rock ect.

Well in the real world fights are won by kicking ass, but technically since this is UFC then yeah I guess they are won by rounds.

You do realise Conor was *censored*ing Nate up too. Conor was probably the more tired fighter but he still knocked him down 3x. Nate Diaz has great stamina though and was able to keep up the pace unlike McGregor.

Archived