MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

I guess we need a new topic of discussion..

What do you guys think of Gilbert Melendez? Do you think he should stay in Strikeforce or jump over to the UFC?

I think Zuffa should use SF as a feeder league. Have the gatekeepers from the UFC move over to SF and if the SF champions defend their titles a certain number of times, they can jump over to the UFC. That way, we can have the best Zuffa contracted fighters in one organization rather than having arguments about who's really no.1 in each division.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing he got signed since he won both of his alternate bouts in the SF Heavyweights GP.

You think Lashley would've been signed had he won the fight?

Nah, Dana basically said that he was going to have to win alot of fights and build up some cred before he got a chance to fight in the UFC.

Just rewatching UFC 129, I forgot how great that card was. I haven't gotten to the GSP fight yet but everything else was a lot better than I remember. I kind of want to see an Aldo/Hominick rematch now :P

Ahh, definitely! That fight made me a Hominick fan, I don't care if that makes me a bandwagon jumper, that last round was awesome. I was cheering for Hominick to get the TKO when he was in the mount.

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing he got signed since he won both of his alternate bouts in the SF Heavyweights GP.

Nah, Dana basically said that he was going to have to win alot of fights and build up some cred before he got a chance to fight in the UFC.

Brock Lesnar, didn't have to do that...

Brock Lesnar, didn't have to do that...

Lets be fair though, Lesnar was a megastar in the WWE. He was this rare dude who was the size of a NFL Linebacker with the speed of a NFL Running back and the strength to back it all up. When he was in the WWE he was a top guy right from the start. Lashley was a midcard guy who never got over because he was pretty bland and essentially your typical big man.

Plus there MMA career paths were way different. Lesnar fought one wet noodle than jumped to the UFC and took on world class talent. Lashley fought all side shows and one legit fighter who pretty much dominated him. He has no place in the UFC yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking ahead, UFC 148 is pretty damn stacked.

It's one of those unmissable cards. Hell, Maia vs. Kim, which could easily be a Fuel TV main event or FX co-main event, is the opening bout. Then Ace vs. Lee, Tito vs. Forrest, Faber vs. Barao and Silva vs. Sonnen II should be amazing fights.

Rich Franklin is filling in for Vitor Belfort at UFC 147, Patrick Cote is returning to the UFC to replace Franklin against Cung Le at UFC 148.

I'm pretty happy about this. UFC made the best out of a bad situation. And I'm glad Cote's coming back. I'm a fan of him.

Just made threads for all events up to and including UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.

Thought that one needed to be made fairly early considering how big the main event is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived