MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah UFC has to own up that is the circus that created. They let Conor do what ever he pleases he tried to jump Khabib before his title fight and got rewarded with a title fight.

Big difference is the setting. You can't start a *censored*ing brawl in a stadium after you win. Like...why did he even do that? McGregor smashed a bus window in a lot. Khabib won a fight, then started a *censored*ing brawl. Fans in attendance could have been injured or worse. McGregor got fined for his shit, as was the appropriate response. Khabib did far worse, and the punishment should be far worse.

Conor literally tried to do the same thing to Aldo but security got to him first. He also was the one throwing full unopened cans of Monster and water bottles at a press conference with a ton of fans in attendance. You can't act like Conor is a saint here. Dude talked shit about his family, his religion and everything about him.

The guy who jumped in the ring and blindsided McGregor should totally be banned from the sport, probably arrested but

Not acting like Conor is a saint...but, again...this was POST FIGHT, and Khabib won. And it was the biggest televised fight (possibly in UFC history). None of it makes any sense, and I don't see any excuses that can be made here. I don't control how UFC treats McGregor...so, I don't condone what he did in the past, or how those actions were (or weren't) handled. But, I maintain that this shit is a whole different ballgame.

It might have been post fight but Conor talked shit about his family and religion. That's not fight talk that pure hate talk and Khabib didn't give a *Censored*.

UFC let this get to the point. They let Conor do all the shit talking and it went to far.

UFC set the standard that this is what you can do and not get it trouble. Lets see if they stick to it.

I already said my part...

But, just to reiterate...McGregor threw something at a bus (didn't know that the window would smash out, tbh)...also didn't know who was on that bus, or the extent of their injuries as a result of throwing the thing at the bus. He paid a fine. It was dumb...but it was a poor decision in the spur of the moment, because he was angry about being stripped of the belt. It's the kind of thing where you say "that was *censored*ing stupid...pay the fine and don't do it again". It was triggered by the anger of losing something important.

But, when you have someone winning on the biggest fight of the year, and they jump into the crowd and start a brawl, live on PPV, when there is really no instigation at that point (McGregor was slumped down looking defeated as all *Censored*). I mean...that's the thing. You can say that Conor taunted him leading up to the fight. Of course he did. But he didn't do shit when he lost. He lost with dignity and then he got jumped. And, yeah...that wasn't Khabib...but he started the chain of events that led to it. No Khabib jumping the barricade and starting a brawl, no other guy jumping Conor, no situation at all.

I just don't see how people can blindly say that this is fine since McGregor is a notorious scumbag...you'll get no argument from me that he is. But this is different. It just is. If Khabib started a brawl at a press conference while Conor was actively taunting him, or even if Conor kept talking shit after the loss...then I could get it. But I don't get it. It was crazy. There is no explanation for it. He won. Conor wasn't baiting him. It was an absurd sight to see. Dude is unhinged. He acted in a way that has no logical explanation or warrant.

Anyway, Dash Wilder is picking a strange cross to bear on twitter. Full "attack McGregor" mode. :lol:

Apparently after the fight Conor's corner was talking shit and Khabib told them to shut up and they said make me, so he called their bluff.

Which is dumb as hell after winning the biggest fight of your life. So...

Anyway, apparently Conor is getting his money (as he should). And the way that Dana said as much makes it sound like Khabib's pay is being withheld. I guess that's the best we're getting for today. Conor paid, Khabib not, and three of Khabib's boys in jail...

Tune in next week for WWE Raw.

Conor started this shit, UFC condoned it by promoting it, it kickstarted Khabib's response because it was personal to him now and we all saw that it was and what's happening now, like not paying Khabib but you do pay Conor, is a huge case of double standards at best.

Can't treat your fighters like they don't have consequences for their actions and then suddenly have standards when other fighters act like their actions don't have consequences. McGregor ruined an entire PPV and injured multiple fighters by attacking a bus.

Conor is getting paid because he acted appropriately for someone to act when the fight was over.

Promotion is promotion...that's part of the game. If Khabib is as loose of a canon as he seems to be, then he just *censored*ing got played by the art of promotion. That's how Conor operates. We've seen it before, and I don't even know why guys still let it get to them. Like...when he tormented Aldo...when the fight was over, he had nothing but good things to say, and essentially made it known that he was goofing. That's just promotion. He likes to play these mindgames where he gets people fired up, and puts them off their game. There's nothing wrong with that...(if you move on when the fight is over). Khabib was supposed to take that moment to say "I beat you, you sack of shit...look at me now"...but instead he kept going with the promotional mindgames of a fight that was over. A fight that he won.

How does a professional fighter not see the clear line between those kind of mindgames, and what happens after the fight is over? Said it several times...no excuse for it, despite how many times people will try to justify it based on what Conor has done. Cormier said it best when he said that two wrongs don't make a right. Not only is this two wrongs, it's one gigantic wrong that should have been controlled by a cool head and common sense.

It's like saying that the man who stabs his wife and her lover to death shouldn't go to prison because she did him dirty...life doesn't work that way. You can't just...react to things. If Mcgregor is the dude who *censored*s the wife, then Khabib is the dude who reacts with violence and gets convicted of murder. At the very least, this incident shows that Khabib didn't think about the UFC or the championship when he made the decision to do what he did. If he reacted that quickly with no regard for the very thing he was just fighting for...then what does it really mean to him anyway? Just not a good look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in the vein of McGregor doing what he does for fight promotion and no other reason, he already refused to press charges and had the people who were arrested released from jail. So...there's that. Like I said...Conor is a master of self-promotion and mind games. He isn't the shitbag that people clearly perceive him to be. But Khabib is definitely a hothead who disregarded his entire division, employer, industry (and the championship that he successfully retained) when he threw all that away for a schoolyard brawl.

All I have to say is, I'm happy there is stuff on UFC fight pass that is not UFC...because I know I can still rely on those other promotions for fights the way they should be. I'll keep watching UFC (especially the smaller fight night cards without the shenanigans)...but, stuff like Quintet is my jam these days.

Bump

Khabib is at fault, but this is more complicated than we think

Put yourself in his place. Dude and his family, religion and country was insulted over and over, and he kept calm. He comes from a different background, that shit is very personal to him.

I'm not saying what he did was right at all, but he snapped. Also, Conor hit an illegal knee and one of the commentators called it, Herb Dean let it slide without warning. There was another instance when Khabib was telling Dean something along the lines of "he did it twice and third time and you let him do it" and he was visibly angry.

Dana White was all laughs when Conor was mocking and insulting him during the press conference, so add all that up and Khabib must have fel like the whole promotion was against him.

Also, Joe Rogan has said that Dillon was insulting Khabib loudly throughout the whole fight, which triggered him as well

Still, it was the wrong thing to do, and he took away from his victory

Edit: from Joe Rogan

"Khabib was angry because Conor was grabbing Khabib's gloves. He was hooking against his gloves and he was doing it illegally.

"Khabib said it to Herb Dean, he said that Conor did it three times. That's what it was all about. That's why he was fired up."

Nobody is saying what Khabib did is okay in itself, the point is that Khabib doesn't deserve to get more shit than McGregor.

I find it awfully naive tbh to brand insulting a man's father, religion, country and honor as "just mind games bro". That's beyond mind games and promoting a fight. At that point, Khabib is not going to forget about it when the fight is over, because McGregor was the one who went way too far in the first place and made it extremely personal. You reap what you sow.

It's underestimating the cultural differences between western civilization and where Khabib is coming from and they take that shit to heart. His father got called a rat and a pussy, his religion got mocked for not drinking alcohol. If you're the UFC and you enable someone to do that, you don't get to condemn Khabib's actions like you couldn't do anything to nip that into the bud.

Also, you're trivializing what McGregor did. I find it hypocritical to have a go at Khabib for not showing respect to the UFC and all that and claim Conor is not that big of a shitbag, when McGregor literally jumped on a plane to attack a bus full of UFC-fighters and he injured a couple of them, therefore directly impacting a UFC-card in a negative way. That's a huge act of violence and in terms of how unacceptable it is, on the same level as what Khabib did. In this entire feud, they've both now had severe acts of off-octagon violence. Nothing should happen to Khabib that didn't happen to McGregor in terms of punishment or the implications that will come from that will be very ugly. Not pressing charges doesn't make him the good guy, no, he would've been even bigger of a *Censored* if he did. Khabib easily could've done the same, Chiesa has done exactly that over it.

Conor McGregor has been the biggest example of classless savagery the UFC has seen and we accept it because he's charismatic and a huge draw. It's not just mind games. He's a disrespectful spoiled brat, enabled by the UFC to do whatever the *Censored* he wants. He has disregarded people's safety plenty of times in the past. Jumping the fence to confront Aldo, with chaos not ensuing only because of how good Aldo is at keeping his cool. Throwing full unopened cans at people. Nearly blinding innocent people because you threw a bin through a window. That's not justifiable anymore by saying he shows respect after the fight. But fine. That's okay. But fact of the matter is that in this particular feud, McGregor has crossed the line verbally and physically and brushing it off as "he's just really good at self-promoting" whilst digging out/punishing Khabib at the same time for how he crossed the line and how he is a hothead is hypocritical and if you're the UFC, despicable and bad business really. And I'm not surprised that McGregor went on to do and say increasingly outlandish things until he went too far and reached someone's breaking point. If we're pointing fingers at who to blame and who should take responsibility, it's not just going to be Khabib.

Nobody is saying what Khabib did is okay in itself, the point is that Khabib doesn't deserve to get more shit than McGregor.

I find it awfully naive tbh to brand insulting a man's father, religion, country and honor as "just mind games bro". That's beyond mind games and promoting a fight. At that point, Khabib is not going to forget about it when the fight is over, because McGregor was the one who went way too far in the first place and made it extremely personal. You reap what you sow.

It's underestimating the cultural differences between western civilization and where Khabib is coming from and they take that shit to heart. His father got called a rat and a pussy, his religion got mocked for not drinking alcohol. If you're the UFC and you enable someone to do that, you don't get to condemn Khabib's actions like you couldn't do anything to nip that into the bud.

Also, you're trivializing what McGregor did. I find it hypocritical to have a go at Khabib for not showing respect to the UFC and all that and claim Conor is not that big of a shitbag, when McGregor literally jumped on a plane to attack a bus full of UFC-fighters and he injured a couple of them, therefore directly impacting a UFC-card in a negative way. That's a huge act of violence and in terms of how unacceptable it is, on the same level as what Khabib did. In this entire feud, they've both now had severe acts of off-octagon violence. Nothing should happen to Khabib that didn't happen to McGregor in terms of punishment or the implications that will come from that will be very ugly. Not pressing charges doesn't make him the good guy, no, he would've been even bigger of a *censored* if he did. Khabib easily could've done the same, Chiesa has done exactly that over it.

Conor McGregor has been the biggest example of classless savagery the UFC has seen and we accept it because he's charismatic and a huge draw. It's not just mind games. He's a disrespectful spoiled brat, enabled by the UFC to do whatever the *Censored* he wants. He has disregarded people's safety plenty of times in the past. Jumping the fence to confront Aldo, with chaos not ensuing only because of how good Aldo is at keeping his cool. Throwing full unopened cans at people. Nearly blinding innocent people because you threw a bin through a window. That's not justifiable anymore by saying he shows respect after the fight. But fine. That's okay. But fact of the matter is that in this particular feud, McGregor has crossed the line verbally and physically and brushing it off as "he's just really good at self-promoting" whilst digging out/punishing Khabib at the same time for how he crossed the line and how he is a hothead is hypocritical and if you're the UFC, despicable and bad business really. And I'm not surprised that McGregor went on to do and say increasingly outlandish things until he went too far and reached someone's breaking point. If we're pointing fingers at who to blame and who should take responsibility, it's not just going to be Khabib.

Agree with all that. The UFC and Dana White should be blamed fot allowing McGregor to go this far and allow him to do what he pleases and get away with it, but then they get mad at Khabib cause dude was driven to his breaking point. Double standards.

I dont blame Khabib. Conor gets too many damn passes. He trashed the man's family, religion and more. Dude is a human. Biggest fight or not, he did what he had to do. What happened to Conor calling everybody pussies and starting shit with innocent people? He got his ass humbled. Period. They'll fine him I'm sure but Khabib did what the hell he had to do.

Also remember that Conor jumped in the cage at Bellator and started a fight with the referee then slapped the commissioner last year and again got away it 100%. Take Khabib's pay but don't strip him of the the belt and suspend him. If you decide to strip him of the belt and fine him then you never use that footage to build up a rematch between the two.

Fine him give him a 6 month suspension and get over this whole situation. Do Ferguson/Khabib for the belt next with the the winner getting Diaz if he wins at 230. For Conor i would give him Al Iaquinta next.

New footage came out showing Conor jumping on the cage throwing punches at Khabib's coaches.

There's no way Conor's fighting Al Iaquinta lol.

Think Conor actually looked great while defending wrestling but his stand up definetely wasn't as good as it use to look. Which was a massive suprise.

Bet the UFC are pretty gutted Khabib won, especially since watching him GnP guys isn't exactly the most pretty sights,

Also remember that Conor jumped in the cage at Bellator and started a fight with the referee then slapped the commissioner last year and again got away it 100%.

I hate this argument, simply because it's Bellator, not UFC.

UFC is supposed to be top level shit. Bellator has always been some bottom shelf shit...but, I'm starting to think they're catching up...for the exact reason that UFC is allowing things like this.

Back to the actual fighting side of things. The best fight to book Conor with other than Nate who he's already fought is probaby Kevin Lee imo. Another hard match up for him but Conor hasn't become famous by taking easy match ups his career. I expect the Nate trilogy to come before he fights for the belt again though.

Don't wanna comment on Khabib v Tony because the chances of that fight never happening is still pretty likely imo.

Also can we comment on how *censored*ing stupid the rule is for not being able to knee downed opponents.

Like sure maybe it's fair enough for when you're opponent is on the floor and you are on top position or on your feet but if you're in full defence mode after a fighter is constantly trying to get you to the mat it's pretty dumb it's not allowed.

https://twitter.com/robwhittakermma/status/1049177093802680320?s=19 UFC's best champions reaction.

People say that Conor started all of this personal shit between himself and Khabib, but wasn't it Khabib who technically started it? Supposedly Khabib slapped one of Conor's teammates or something, and Conor took that personal in of itself in addition to the fact that he got stripped of the title.

Regardless, the post-fight brawl wasn't warranted no matter what was said before, during or after the fight.

And the fact that people don't like Conor because of him generally talking shit to his opponents is dumb as *Censored*. Combat sports is a game of mental warfare just as much as it is physical. Yes, maybe McGregor is a bit too vulgar and obnoxious in his approach, but he's done good by hyping up his fights and drawing in views and more dough that way - and no one else in the fight game does it better than he does.

"Yes, maybe McGregor is a bit too vulgar and obnoxious in his approach"

How is it you can acknowledge that and you think it's dumb as *Censored* to dislike him based on that at the same time? That one line is infuriating tbh.

This isn't pro-wrestling and not every action he does can be justified through "oh, he's selling a fight", like people aren't aware of that, like they're getting worked into a shoot. People are and still can draw a line where they say "okay, this is going overboard". Repeating myself here, but big whoop that he draws in money and people by acting like a complete prick and does the faux respect-act after a fight, there are enough people who do the mental warfare bit while still sounding authentic. Or at least not borderline racist. Cool that it attracts people, that it fits its purpose, which is irrelevant to people who find what he said off-putting at best and unacceptable at worst. Those who were on the fence about him definitely were lost with how he crossed the line in the build-up to this fight.

And about Khabib slapping Artem, that confrontation happened because Artem personally addressed and disrespected Khabib in an interview. Calling him

a pussy. That's a personal issue between them and Conor then interjected himself into it. Probably not even because he was actually pissed or loyal to a friend, but more so to sell a fight, only he went too far, broke a window and is now getting sued over it.

Archived