MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

Mobile bump.

"...I'd like to take this time to apologize...to absolutely fookin' nobody! *Censored* 'EM!"

McGregor's post fight interview was the icing on the cake. That fight wasn't even close; McGregor's reach advantage showed so much.

I love him. I still have a huge grin. :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still dont know why so many people dislike McGregor. He always has amazing fights. He's not one of these guys who tries to smother opponents on the ground, or win on points. He always puts on a hell of a fight. People being unable to appreciate how good McGregor is will always be one of those things that makes me laugh. He is the best in the world. No use in being upset about it.

Conor McGregor is still open to fighting Floyd Mayweather, but he has very specific conditions he wants met for the fight to happen.

"Tell Floyd and Showtime, I'm coming," McGregor said to the crowd while on-stage at a New York City nightclub. "Tell him to go to them Showtime offices. I want $100 million cash to fight you under boxing rules cause he's afraid of a real fight."

Mayweather said earlier this year that he was responsible for starting a rumor that he and the new UFC lightweight champion would fight. McGregor responded to the rumor with willingness to make the match-up happen, despite having no professional boxing experience.

"Floyd's not ready for this," McGregor said. "Much respect to Floyd, he's a solid businessman. What he has been able to do, he's a f------ animal at what he's been able to do but as far as real fighting, as far as true, pure unarmed combat—Floyd don't want none of this."

McGregor most recently defeated Eddie Alvarez on Saturday night to claim the lightweight belt and move his UFC record to 21–3. Mayweather retired with a 49–0 record.

http://www.si.com/mma/2016/11/16/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-fight-conditions?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Yeah, Connor McGregor isn't a scumbag. A lot of the shit McGregor says in interviews is just typical trash talk in order to play mind games, get in his opponent's head and generally have people talking - and the difference between Mac and everyone else, is that no one really does it in the way he does. The guy is probably the most charismatic athlete right now and it's one of the reasons why he's so popular.

And if you notice, McGregor is usually shaking hands and showing sportsmanship after his fights.

More on McGregor:

Conor McGregor is no longer a two-division world champion. At least, according to the UFC.

The Irishman, who also holds the UFC lightweight belt, has relinquished given up his featherweight title, the UFC announced Saturday night during the UFC Fight Night 101 broadcast.

Although the UFC says McGregor has given up the featherweight belt voluntarily, sources told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani that McGregor never agreed to that decision. Regardless, the UFC has the right to strip the belt from McGregor.

Jose Aldo, who won the interim title back at UFC 200 in July, defeating Frankie Edgar, will now take McGregor's belt and become the undisputed 145-pound champion.

Additionally, it was announced that Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway will now serve as the main event of UFC 206, replacing the light heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson. That championship bout was scrapped from the card after Cormier sustained an injury.

Pettis and Holloway will now battle for the interim featherweight title in the main event of UFC 206, which takes place on Dec. 10 in Toronto, Canada.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/26/13755344/conor-mcgregor-relinquishes-ufc-featherweight-title

The UFC announced on Saturday that Conor McGregor has relinquished his featherweight belt, and will only keep the lightweight title, but it seems like the Irishmans team isnt happy with the decision.

McGregor hasnt commented on the UFCs decision yet, but his longtime coach John Kavanagh broke the silence in an interview to Red FM (h/t Severe MMA) on Tuesday morning. According to the SBG coach, the decision to take the 145-pound title away from McGregor came from the UFC, and hes "very disappointed with how they went about doing it."

"It was a very messy set of circumstances which led to doing it," Kavanagh said. "They lost a main event (at UFC 206) and then they haphazardly threw together a new main event."

The UFC decided to strip McGregor of the featherweight belt and give interim champion Jose Aldo the definitive title when UFC 206 lost its main event due to Daniel Cormiers injury. After failing to convince Anthony Johnson to take a fight for an interim belt at 205 pounds, the UFC promoted Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis for an interim featherweight title.

"They felt they had to make this for a title in order for it to sell so they brought in another interim title that Jose Aldo already has and then bumped Jose Aldo up to the current undisputed champion. Which just seems ridiculous to me," Kavanagh said.

"Conor has only been 11 months since he won that title. There have been many, many examples of fighters waiting 15 months, 18 months before defending it. Hes 11 months and they stripped him of it. I thought it was very shortsighted by the UFC how they went about doing it."

UFC 206 takes place on Dec. 10 in Toronto, and the winner of Holloway vs. Pettis will likely face Aldo to unify the belts in 2017. The Brazilian featherweight already stated he will defend his title next, and then go after McGregor in the lightweight division.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/29/13776510/john-kavanagh-very-disappointed-with-how-ufc-stripped-conor-mcgregor

All McGregor does is shit on people. The Rock was quick witted and generally funny. Hell Chael Sonnen was way more quoteable then McGregor.

Well, that's your opinion. But that doesn't make him less charismatic. Charisma is more than wit and quotable lines. The official definition of charisma is "talent or charm" that "inspires devotion in others"...which fits McGregor to a T...and definitely fits McGregor WAY better than Sonnen. I never said that McGregor was as charismatic as the Rock anyway...perhaps it was worded poorly...but, what I was saying, is that McGregor to the UFC = what the Rock is to the WWE. I was not trying to compare Rock and McGregor at all...it was more of a loose statement than that.

Don't understand the McGregor hate at all. He has put a lot more eyes on the sport and made the UFC a lot more valuable. His fights are also very entertaining to watch. Love or hate his trash talk you can't deny he puts on the best show for the fans, with majority knockout finishes.

Archived