Rugby League / NRL Thread

Fried

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Warriors lost, they did score more than when they were in the GF in 2002. Though it would have been higher had Maloney converted those tries. Not to mention the Sea Eagles scored less than the Roosters did in 2002.

I reckon Sam Rapira will probably be named for the Kiwis team.

New Zealand named their squad which includes six debutants.

Gerard Beale, Adam Blair, Lewis Brown, Nathan Fien, Kieran Foran, Alex Glenn, Tomas Leuluai, Kevin Locke, Shaun Johnson, Issac Luke, Sam McKendry, Simon Mannering, Sika Manu, Benji Marshall ©, Steve Matai, Ben Matulino, Fuifui Moimoi, Jason Nightingale, Russell Packer, Kevin Proctor, Jeremy Smith, Manu Vatuvei, Jared Warea-Heargreaves.

Manly's lost Will Hopoate (and Jamil Hopoate) to Parramatta after his mission.

Parra seems to have a bit of money to throw around. I remember before the RWC there was big talk about Quade Cooper jumping over. I still think we might see that after the WC.

I hope Moimoi and Vatuvei can stay healthy. They tend to get injured at around this time. And Lewis Brown made the cut? Awesome. He went to the High School I went to (Papanui High School). So it's good to see that he's getting better with each season.

Gonna be interesting for Manly. I know at least one Stewart has a get out clause in their contract should the coach leave.

Still Des will be Manly next year and Bulldogs starting 2013 for three years.

Any early picks for next year? Teams that maybe under performed this year that will come out strong next year.

Parramatta, Gold Coast and Bulldogs. Gonna be tough for my Dragons.

Still talk about Hasler going to the Bulldogs 2013.

I think the way it's moving Hasler might be dropped from Manly next year. They're saying that maybe his full focus wouldn't be on Manly. Haslers come out and said that part of the reason he's leaving is because he can't see eye-to-eye with some members of the board. I'd guess it's those same members who don't want to see him there for 2012. Papers reporting that Geoff Toovey is being considered as Manly coach for next year if they can't resolve the Hasler thing.

In other news Gold Coast have put a 3 year offer on the table for Todd Carney.

Big games across both codes for Australia and New Zealand this weekend.

Australian coach Tim Sheens has said that they should expect a State Of Origin style of game as it's played more under international rules as opposed to NRL rules.

Also Lockyer's last game on Australian soil.

Thought the ref had left his whistle at home early on yesterday. Some pretty blatant head work from both sides during the game. Still, I enjoyed it.

Pretty sure Lockyer's going over to England/Wales for the Four Nations.

Thought the ref had left his whistle at home early on yesterday. Some pretty blatant head work from both sides during the game. Still, I enjoyed it.

Pretty sure Lockyer's going over to England/Wales for the Four Nations.

Ah ok. I thought last year's Four Nations was his last. As for Wales being added in, I like that idea. The 2 best teams from the Northern Hemisphere vs the 2 best teams from the Southern Hemisphere.

It should be a good Four Nations.

France vs England & Wales vs Ireland are playing this weekend for a warmup before it starts.

New Zealand always seem to lift for these type of competitions.

Papers reporting Todd Carney almost ready to sign with Cronulla.

Yeah New Zealand does well in these tournaments. Though they also did lose to England in 2009 as well. I'd like to see New Zealand have a repeat of last year's success. But I think after the thumping the Kiwis received at the hands of the Kangaroos, I think it'll be Australia's year.

As for Carney, he could definitely help the Sharks. I'm actually surprised the Sharks are one of 4 teams to not have won a Premiership, considering how long they've been in the NRL.

Poor Sharkies. It seems whenever the topic of club relocation comes around they are always mentioned as being one of the clubs that should move.

They seem to have some financial problems & holding onto quality players. You go through their list of coaches over the years and it's so strange they haven't won one. I know they've come close a few times.

If Carney does sign and stays away from the drink, I've been to Cronulla a few times and there's heaps of places to drink at down there, he should be a great asset to the club. I heard that Gallens going to be looking after him down there.

Rumour going around that $BW's off to the Roosters.

$BW's tight with Mundine and I think Mundines promoter is now looking after $BW and Quade Cooper who are tight themself.

Thinking about it though if the NRL's serious about expansion, maybe for a 2nd team in NZ, $BW and Cooper could be some good marquee players for a new club.

That's if NZ forgives Quade. :lol:

My parents really don't like SBW. There was a rumour he was gonna sign with the Blues of the Super 15. Though if he were to go back to League, it'd be a bit of a slap in the face. I mean, they hype him up, and he plays rugby for 2 years and finally wins a World Cup, only to go back and play League.

NZ has forgiven Quade. They were cheering for him when he left the field injured.

heh...or do you think they were cheering Quade because he got injured? I still can't really understand why the crowds did that though. I know towards the end of the WC the commentators on Fox Sports here were mentioning that it was getting a little too much. I know he went after McCaw a few times but yeah, on one side I understand it because if the WC was here and there was a AB's game at Belmore where the Bulldogs play SBW wouldn't of got a warm welcome.

Other NRL news

Parramatta have let Mortimer go from his contract that I believe had 2 years to go. He's off to the Roosters.

Gallop has said that Carneys on his last chance. This time (maybe) he's serious. Carney's signed to the Sharks for 2 years.

Archived