Rugby League / NRL Thread

Fried

Heh...

Headline of the back of the paper today

ARKO: Fans' hate will drive Manly to title

SEA EVILS

"Manly's godfather Ken Arthurson believes an unbreakable bond forged from 40 years of hatred and jealousy against the Sea Eagles can deliver a premiership to Brookvale for the fifth straight decade."

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to the Warriors against Manly. Wouldn't be suprised if there is a big Kiwi contingent there on the day. Even some locals who just can't stomach going for Manly.

And congrats to the NZ Rugby League teams who I think will have a couple of teams playing the lower divisions on GF day.

Seems NZ League is doing alright.

Today in the local newspaper Wayne Bennett is quoted as saying "It (NZ) has become the strongest breeding ground in the game." One of the first things he did after signing with Newcastle was to apoint a full-time recruitment officer in NZ.

Even heard a bit more talk about the 2nd NZ team should the NRL expand the competiton.

Did it say where the second team would possibly go? I'd love to see it here in Christchurch. But with AMI Stadium out of commision, and Rugby Park being used for the Canterbury and Crusaders teams, Christchurch is out. So I guess it'd probably go to Wellington if there were to be a second NZ league team.

Apparently the All Blacks cheered the Warriors on their win:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/5682642/All-Blacks-cheer-Warriors-win-from-locker-room

Also, it looks like Sydney fans (and most Aussie fans in general) have adopted the Warriors as favourites:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Aussies-adopt-Warriors-as-sentimental-favourites/tabid/415/articleID/227359/Default.aspx

I even saw a tweet on the Wests Tigers Twitter page, wishing good luck to the Warriors.

I think they were talking about Wellington being the 2nd NZ team. It's a pretty contensious talking point here as there are a few different areas around Australia that are trying to put their case out there.

There was something in the paper yesterday about NZ currently holding the Rugby League World Cup, Tri Nations and now in contention for the Grand Final. They certainly do have depth down there.

Suprised I haven't seen any "support your local team" trying to get people across to Manly for the GF. There was a bit this morning trying to sell it as Australia vs New Zealand. The dislike for Manly runs so deep, it's so deep within a lot of peoples psyche, it's basically impossible for people to go for them.

I like how it's Australian Actor Russel Crowe wins award on one hand then NZ Actor Russel Crowe throws telephone at hotel employee on the other. heh...

Heard this morning that Lockyer will get a lap of honour around the ground before the GF this weekend. Nice touch.

It's pretty much the same with Phar Lap :lol: After all these years, I always thought it was Farlap.

Anyhoo, I found out that all 3 games are gonna be played on TV over here. Junior Warriors game first, then the Warriors/Sea Eagles game, and finally, the Vulcans game. I think the reason Prime has done it that way, is so that people will be able to watch the main game, whether it be live or delayed coverage. I'll definitely be watching all 3, that's for sure.

Bulldogs beat the Vulcans 30-28, Junior Warriors beat the Cowboys 31-30, and the Warriors fall to the Sea Eagles in the Grand Final, 24-10. Considering how well the Sea Eagles played this season, and the fact that from what I know, no team placed 5th or under in the top 8 has won a Premiership. And considering the Warriors were 6th, that was going against them going into the Grand Final.

Congratz to the Sea Eagles on winning their 8th Premiership. They definitely deserve it!!

When you really think about it, Manly was always gonna win. Why? Because since 1998 (when the current NRL started), no team ranked 5th or lower has ever won the Premiership. Manly was 2nd, and the Warriors were 6th. If I were a gambling man, despite all the fan support, I would have still put money down on Manly.

Archived