The Official Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Misatouki

Soo I started My Hero Academia anime going in almost completely blind, now all caught up. Just ... *Censored* yes all the way. I barely even found out Season 3 premieres next weekend so that's great timing

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soo I started My Hero Academia anime going in almost completely blind, now all caught up. Just ... *Censored* yes all the way. I barely even found out Season 3 premieres next weekend so that's great timing

Welcome to the club! Season 3 is gonna be amazing. I already know what's gonna happen from reading the manga but I can't wait to see it animated.

Also there's a movie coming out in August!

WEEEEEEDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIING CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ?

Google leads me to... One Piece?

yap.

Evil Queen just ate a cake and it seemingly lead to the end of atleast the ship of the Main Characters

yap.

Evil Queen just ate a cake and it seemingly lead to the end of atleast the ship of the Main Characters

I have no idea what that means lol other than

the cake somehow means she's married to the luffy now?

yap.

I have no idea what that means lol other than

the cake somehow means she's married to the luffy now?

No. It was her daughter who was supposed to be married to one of Luffy's friends. She was just super happy after eating the cake, resulting in her mindlessley starting a murder musical lol

Guest Fight Me.

Just started My Hero Academia...started with the sub but now I have found the dub on VRV. Which version did you guys watch? I've watched a couple episodes dubbed now and wanna continue it like this, but my friend says it's horrible. Idk lol.

Guest Fight Me.

Yeah, I've heard that too how things could get lost in translation/told a bit differently. Guess I will continue it subbed then and rewatch it dubbed if I like it enough. About 8 episodes in and it's been great so far, hope it continues to be in season 2.

Edit: How spoilery is that video? I wanna watch it but idk lol.

Subs vs dubs shouldn't even be a thing now a days, this isn't the 90s. The vast majority of dubs directly translate everything, except stuff that is impossible - usually jokes that make no sense in English. Other than that, unless it's a kiddy show, like Pokemon or Yokai Watch or something, nothing gets changed really.

But people can't see past the 90s and are massive weebs, so it's all LOLDUB

Like, I checked out Dragon Maid in both sub and dub... most of what was said was word for word.

So other guy, I wouldn't stop watching the sub just cuz of something as small as "a small story line tweak" whatever that is, which from a few mins of Googling seems to be "the way Deku talks" as in the dub he's slightly more heroic than in the Japanese version?

I watch it subbed. The dub isn't bad at all, but episodes can be delayed and it changes the story verrrrrrrry slightly.

This guy explains it better than I can. SPOILERS!

I started the series with the dub and that video (plus the second part to it) to me just reinforces that I'd prefer the dub for HeroAca lol. I might switch to sub for season 3 if I get too impatient waiting for the dubs :lol: but I wouldn't mind that too much because best girl is great in both versions

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been watching Durarara for the past week+ and I gotta say it's good stuff. I'm also hooked on the first opening and ending themes. Watched the first season subbed, then rewatched it dubbed when I found out there was one, and I just continued from there. Shizuo's awesome and I love how Walker is crazy pyromaniac and otaku. Only ones I just really don't like are the Yagiri's and Mika.

as for my thoughts on the whole sub vs. dub thing (didn't watch the video), the whole thing is stupid and the people who start dub vs. sub wars are dumb assholes who don't understand the concept of personal preference.

I started Durararara but found it was too over the top and made too little sense for me.

As for dub vs subs, it's no longer relevant. Unless it's a kids show, 99% of dubs are direct translations. ...which sometimes is actually a bad thing as the sentence doesn't make sense in English.

People give the "Japanese people talk Japanese" argument but I bet they didn't watch the German version of Attack on Titan. They would've watched in Japanese, probably.

There's also times they'll visit another country... only for the Americans, Euros etc to be speaking Japanese, which makes no sense either. Heck, in the current series of Pokemon, they should all be speaking English - Alola is Hawaii. Gen 6, they should all speak French, whilst gen 5 they should speak English again.

I bet people didn't see the English or French dubs for those gens!

I started Durararara but found it was too over the top and made too little sense for me.

I like how everyone has their own story and everything and everyone is (at least mostly) connected somehow. Plus I like the music,

As for dub vs subs, it's no longer relevant. Unless it's a kids show, 99% of dubs are direct translations. ...which sometimes is actually a bad thing as the sentence doesn't make sense in English.

Ghost Stories

People give the "Japanese people talk Japanese" argument but I bet they didn't watch the German version of Attack on Titan. They would've watched in Japanese, probably.

It's usually more "TEH OHRIGENUHL VOOYSES!" or "English VA's suck because reasons"

There's also times they'll visit another country... only for the Americans, Euros etc to be speaking Japanese, which makes no sense either. Heck, in the current series of Pokemon, they should all be speaking English - Alola is Hawaii. Gen 6, they should all speak French, whilst gen 5 they should speak English again.

I bet people didn't see the English or French dubs for those gens!

I will say it's pretty cool when anime actually bother to have characters speak their native language, but due to the nature of everything, I get why it's not always possible or convenient.

Ghost Stories was 20 years ago and they were outright told to do what they want, so they did. It was so successful, the Japanese redubbed it themselves using the western script and made it canon.

I merely meant dubs of the last 5 years though. When I saw Dragon Maid, I Saw Japanese clips (Which is what made me watch it) and when said clips showed up in English, they were word for word. Even the Digimon Tri movies are more or less word for word. This isn't the 90s, dubs are more respectful now, outside of kiddie ones that change all the names, music and sometimes storyline but that's shit like Yokai watch so who cares

So I've watched Kakegurui and it was really exciting, but apparently it cut out a major arc at the end, which, after reading about it in the manga, is a huge shame.

But season 2 will be coming, so who knows.

That's that one gambling anime right? Have you watched Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor?

So I've watched Kakegurui and it was really exciting, but apparently it cut out a major arc at the end, which, after reading about it in the manga, is a huge shame.

That's that one gambling anime right? Have you watched Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor?
Yes and no.

Kakegurui was on Netflix, that's how I got into touch with it.

What's the other one all about then?

Yes and no.

Kakegurui was on Netflix, that's how I got into touch with it.

What's the other one all about then?

A guy in major debt gets coaxed on to a boat with the chance to clear it by the mafia (?) and has to play a crazy game of rock paper scissors with about 100 other people. Catch is that the number of times you can play them are limited by the number of cards he has.

If you lose all your cards without getting enough points, you basically become a slave on the boat.

That's pretty much the first 10 episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived