The Official Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Misatouki

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's watched Charlotte? Currently halfway through, and really enjoying it so far as well as the concept of it.

Charlotte is one I've had my eye on since it was first announced though I haven't got around to watching it. It's one of those 'I'll watch it eventually' ones. What do you like/dislike etc about it?

Sorry for not replying earlier, bro. To be honest, it's rather short, only 13 episodes.

You can legit finish it up within 12 hours, if not less than that.

What I like:

• The concept. It's about a group of kids/youth with imperfect superpowers all getting together, and trying to save each other before their powers run out (which is a first for me, personally, I usually notice characters in anime with superpowers being legit perfect like Saitama, even if he struggled a little in his final boss fight.)
  • The climax. I cannot spoil this, but the episode following this is perhaps my favourite of the entire series so far.
  • The characters. Some characters have intriguing backstories, even if they are also sort of basic and not delved into enough.

What I dislike:

• It is rather short. I don't know if it's me, but I've always been kind of iffy on super-short, 10-14 episode anime to be honest. Like, I think this is just personal preference of style but I've never seen the point in creating a season of such short length, like that.
  • Backstories can be kind of bleh. Like I said, some backstories may seem like, "Oh, I really need to know what happens here, or how this happened" but then they tell you and you're like, "That's what happened...oh, okay." It's a bit run-of-the-mill, but the characters have enough colour and life to them to distract from that.

That's all I can think of thus far, to be fair. I do like it quite a lot, it's fun and all but you asking me for things I also disliked made me realise it's not one I necessarily love. Not that I blame you or anything, haha, it's worth a check for sure :D

Eh 13 is actually 'long' for most anime xD they tend to be 12 ;o.

Charlotte from when it aired, people thought it was amazing at first and then died off. Do you follow that? I suppose I could make Charlotte the next 'watch' to see myself lol.

Any cuties?

Lmao, idk, most of the ones I've watched are double that but you know more than me, I'll take your word for it :lol:

To be honest...I didn't know it because of anyone else. Like, I never saw any talk of it anywhere, I just searched a little around on Gogoanime.io and then stumbled across it. But if you're asking me whether it'll fall completely off my radar after watching it, eh - I can see myself kind of returning to it.

I just don't think it's as amazing as others make it out to be. It's pretty damn good, but like not top-of-the-priority incredible.

OH YEAH, the main girl in it is a total cutie imo. She's got a bit of a mean attitude, which contrasts her innocent look in quite a funny way

Idk why but Charlotte was like, the most hyped going in that season and it got talked about a lot and I just saw loads of enjoyment of it, then suddenly everyone was slagging it off saying it sucked at the end so idk.

I was gonna watch but then like, mainstream is mainstream and I like cute grils doing cute things.

but yeah 12+ova is usually the way series go. Anime seasons are three months, so 12 episodes of 4, 4, 4 each month then usually an OVA like 6 months later is the way companies go.

Some of course go the 26, so span two seasons of 4 each month but those are bigger studios that have the money for it really.

Then you have Pokemon and Naruto at 495845748548545 each.

Sucked at the end? To be fair, I have 1, 2 episodes to go so I can't give judgment off that. So far, though, I'm thoroughly enjoying it...but it's like, that doesn't make sense if the whole season gets slagged off because of an ending. Unless that ending was so horrifically bad, lol.

Yeah, the cute girl in Charlotte doesn't do cute things, she just automatically cute 'cause the art for her is really well done.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense as to why I've heard that the people behind Attack on Titan need quite a lot of funding in order to invest in another season of roughly the same amount of episodes. But yeah, thanks for that, I still have a long ways to go in terms of anime knowledge.

It also makes sense because the anime that go 25+ episodes tend to have much better art direction behind it/more money spent etc.

Bro, I just cannot watch Naruto. I can't lie to you, I haven't watched Naruto but I can't even try to muster up the motivation to. :lol:

Yeah anything that long I just can't be arsed. I only even watch stuff like Pokemon still that have 87r487485745 episodes because I've been watching for like 20 years, if I had to start Pokemon from the beginning... NOPE!

Bro, I just cannot watch Naruto. I can't lie to you, I haven't watched Naruto but I can't even try to muster up the motivation to. :lol:

You're not missing out on much. The pacing is frustratingly slow, there's a ton of repetitive exposition and unnecessary flashbacks to prior events, and there's an absolutely absurd amount of filler.

It has its moments, but they're not worth sitting through all of the bullshit in between.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Naruto is a disgustingly terrible series and a disgrace to fiction. The author is also equally terrible.

Eh. It only started to become really terrible when the war started. It got worse after Pain's death and then became a disaster. At some point the author dropped the entire character development of several characters and it became a pseudo-symbolic NaruSasu jerk fest.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Naruto is a disgustingly terrible series and a disgrace to fiction. The author is also equally terrible.

Eh. It only started to become really terrible when the war started. It got worse after Pain's death and then became a disaster. At some point the author dropped the entire character development of several characters and it became a pseudo-symbolic NaruSasu jerk fest.

He completely shat on the original theme of his series by making Nardo a reincarnation of god and having his parents be legends. Not to mention when he killed off Neji he basically said "Hey, you can't fight destiny. Just accept your role in life and be happy with it. Now go die for your cousin like the good little slave you are."

Itachi's retcon

Everything relating to Uchihas. Everything.

Sakura's and Hinata's entire characters revolving around childhood crushes with Sakura's just being some immature lusting after the "cool" guy in school. Then the fact that she marries him even after trying to kill her.

Will of Fire is terrible. "Put the village above your friends and family no matter how terrible we all are." Let's not forget the Hyuga's legalized slavery and not a single person giving a rat's ass.

Also Kishimoto thinks he invented the concept of talking down enemies when he really just turned it into a meme and does a terrible job at it.

I'll just stop there for now.

Fair. I guess a lot of it came after pain or at the very least wasn't as bad until then, but it still doesn't change my point.

You might consider this cheating, but this blog thing explains the various problems with Nardo far better than I could hope to.

http://anti-endings.tumblr.com/

I love Naruto but yeah, it has a lot problems within the series. It was great at first but then just got worse and worse as time went on around the Pain Invasion arc, as Mink said. My main issue with the anime though is the pacing. Moves too slow and there's way too many fillers. The manga ended in 2014 and fillers have been going on for months now, it's ridiculous. Just let the series end ffs.

I honestly don't know why I still love Naruto so much. Maybe because it was my first anime?

@God of Lightning: All valid points which I agree with.

True and I agree. I still like Naruto but I can at least acknowledge its problems and not blindly defend it, which is more than I can say about what seems like the majority of the Naruto fanbase (from my experience). I realize it's not that great of an anime but I still somehow find myself enjoying the series. Well when it isn't crappy filler or a dragged out talking scene.

Some people just aren't able to take in that something they like could have flaws and that people pointing them out means they hate it, personal attack on the fan themselves etc

True and I agree. I still like Naruto but I can at least acknowledge its problems and not blindly defend it, which is more than I can say about what seems like the majority of the Naruto fanbase (from my experience). I realize it's not that great of an anime but I still somehow find myself enjoying the series. Well when it isn't crappy filler or a dragged out talking scene.

I actually saw one person say human freedom isn't a right and nobody's owed it and that no one should care about the Hyuga's legalized slavery because "humanity's cruel" or some garbage like that, but then turn around and say people should feel sorry for Nardo because he grew up alone nevermind the fact that it was his own fault for being a brat that no one wanted their kids around.

I mean if you like something, that's fine. I don't really care enough to go out of my way to try and force someone to change their opinion, though I will tell them why I think the thing they like is garbage. That kind of stuff though, is just stupid and there are a lot of people who think like that.

Yeah it's pretty insane the lengths some people will go to just to avoid the fact that something they like has flaws. I seriously don't get why people just can't accept that when it comes to stuff like this, it's all a matter of opinion and yours is the only one that should matter to you.

Naruto turned for the worse, coincidentley :shift:, when Togashi's "back problems" (aka Dragon Quest) started to add up.

Also...

I feel Naruto could have been saved by making other characters the Main characters - not with god-like powers - after the time-skip.

Rock Lee, for example.

Yeah, ignoring many characters really hurt the series. Would've been nice if instead of always focusing on team 7 they could have mixed things up and focus on the other teams from time to time. Also bugs me that in a full out war we only lost 1 character that was relevant.

Yeah, ignoring many characters really hurt the series. Would've been nice if instead of always focusing on team 7 they could have mixed things up and focus on the other teams from time to time. Also bugs me that in a full out war we only lost 1 character that was relevant.

that pissed me off massively.

Guy, Kakashi, one of the Ino-Shika-Cho, Naruto or Sasuke, the 5 Kage and alot others should've died.

It's a freaking war and these people were all on the front lines

Naruto turned for the worse, coincidentley :shift:, when Togashi's "back problems" (aka Dragon Quest) started to add up.

Also...

I feel Naruto could have been saved by making other characters the Main characters - not with god-like powers - after the time-skip.

Rock Lee, for example.

Isn't Togashi the YYH and HxH guy? I've seen people say Kishi copied a lot from him, specifically HxH.

Rock Lee would've been great as the main character. He represents the original theme of Nardo so much better than Nardo. But of course, he was made comic relief because Kishi doesn't actually care about any of that stuff; it just keeps the demographic hooked. And even if Lee was the main character, Kishimoto's still the author, so Lee would just end up ruined too.

Ironically, I think Kishimoto's best characters are the ones he didn't touch that much. They're not exactly all that great or anything, but because he didn't bother with them, they were spared from his BS. Well his male characters anyway. The females are pretty bad with the exception of Temari, Shizune, and Konan.

So many characters had the potential of great development in the beginning. Even - or even especially - characters such as Hinata and Sakura. It's a shame.

Isn't Togashi the YYH and HxH guy? I've seen people say Kishi copied a lot from him, specifically HxH.

Aye.

When I started watching HxH I couldn't believe how many things were identical in Naruto's product.

Kurapika + Killua = Sasuke

Phantom Troupe = Akatsuki

Hisoka = Orochimaru

Illumi = Itachi

etc.

And not even just in the basic premise of the characters. The backgrounds and story arcs are also nearly identical until Togashi went on his Dragon Quest break.

---------

Anyway...a new topic....

Does anyone else read the MMA manga "Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru"?

I've been pretty invested in it, since I discovered it. Although there is some questionable content at some point early in the story, it's quite good imho.

Main character isn't anything too special or super-human or something and it's quite realistic, I would say. It also has a lot characters that have personality and unique backstories. The amount of new chapters each week is incredible, since it only needs translation right now (there once were 6 chapters in a week, I believe) and the fights, despise sometimes feeling like a drag, are all well drawn.

And it plays in the "real world", with references to actually existing things. (Pro Wrestling Noah, for example. Or NJPW.)

The only thing I've been reading lately is UQ Holder. I also read Pokemon Special and Battle Angel Alita off and on and enjoy both of them a lot, though I still think Special is painfully overrated. Freezing's releases are all over the place at least with translations anyway. The last chapter to come out was back in October.

And what do you mean Dragon Quest Break? He works on Dragon Quest?

I'm currently watching the Xenosaga anime because I needed something to watch and I was interested in playing the series at some point. I played a little bit of 2 lat year, but I didn't keep it long enough to get an opinion.

And while not anime, I just want to say that I love the 03 TMNT. The show can get pretty dark at times which is kind of ironic considering it's from the same network that was responsible for ruining One Piece in the West and invisible guns.

^ TMNT 2003 is cool af. It's my favourite TMNT series for sure.

------------------

Togashi claims to need constant surgery because of his damaged back.

However that issue - when he originally had it - got fixed a long time ago and since then his "injury" convenietly always came back when his favourite game series - Dragon Quest - got a new game in Japan.

Hence Dragon Quest back problems are a thing with him :P

It's also why HxH is also known as Hiatus x Hiatus.

The last time a chapter was released was June 2014.

There haven't even been 10 chapters of the manga in the past 4 years.

Archived