The Official Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Misatouki

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G Gundam was like the best thing ever at the time

I've heard that, but I've never actually seen it. I'm going through each series as it was released for now, so next would be... Zeta gundam, I think.

Anyone read/watch Freezing? I dropped it few months ago. How is it now? I know one guy has the main female character as his avatar, but I forgot who.

I read it and like it. Where'd you drop off?

I dunno, few chapters after the female meets her brother (I keep forgetting her name and thinking of Scarlett, but she's from Fairy Tale) and the arc ends. I think she has an American name? She's the blonde one.

Satellizer. If you decide to treat her as the main character instead of the actual main character, it's pretty alright,

Ah, her. She was pretty badass at the start, and I liked the character development that she had. I wanna pick it back up and see whether she ends up with her kouhai.

I hope Digimon Adventure Tri gets a Saban dub, with Joshua Seth and all the rest of the old gang. Maybe the old producers from Saban could work on the script. Maybe Bandai could make sure they don't retcon dub names and things like that (but I doubt it). At the same time though, I can imagine some of those folks being like "I've moved on". I hope the replacements are good, if that's the case. It'd also be neat to get David Axelrod and Steve Blum back in some form.

I hope Digimon Adventure Tri gets a Saban dub, with Joshua Seth and all the rest of the old gang. Maybe the old producers from Saban could work on the script. Maybe Bandai could make sure they don't retcon dub names and things like that (but I doubt it). At the same time though, I can imagine some of those folks being like "I've moved on". I hope the replacements are good, if that's the case. It'd also be neat to get David Axelrod and Steve Blum back in some form.

Seems they already changed some names, as for example in the new game Goburimon is now Goblimon and Pheonixmon is Huouomon

anyway Tai's voice actor retired, they got some other guy to dub him in Revenge of Diaboromon so I imagine they'd use him. He didn't sound that different tbh

I still would've much preferred a new Digimon series. I'm kinda sick of everyone trying((and failing)TMNT was the only one to get it right) to cash in on nostalgia. Speaking of nostalgia, Atem is supposedly going to be in the new Yugioh movie, which, if true, kills pretty much all interest I had in it.

So I watched DBZ Battle of Gods, the TTGL movie, Tales of Vesperia First Strike, and the Diancie movie over the weekend. DBZ was good, though a little too ridiculous. TTGL was awesome even if it was just essentially a remake of the second half of the series. Vesperia movie was pretty good. Diancie movie was alright, but nothing really special. I started watching One Piece Film Z last night and fell asleep half way through. I liked what I watched, though.

What I saw of Digimon Fusion was god awful though. I wasn't even mad when they pushed it from Nickelodeon to Nicktoons. I only saw a little bit and don't remember much, but between the weird Digimon designs, fusion replacing digivolution, Shoutmon's annoying English voice, and some kind of bizarre retcons*, I couldn't watch it. As far as I'm concerned from favorite to least favorite...

1. Season 1

2. Season 2

3. Season 3 ("Tamers")

4. Season 5 Data Squad - loved it, but S3 was more memorable

5. Season 4 ("Frontier") - hated it, but it had some interesting things

6. Season 6 Fusion

I think there are some lessons to be learned here. Maybe Saban isn't the good luck charm after all. Maybe Fox just knew how to promote a TV show better. Or maybe it's got nothing to do with them... Bad things just happen when you take the digivolution formula (the main appeal of the the series) and *Censored* around with it.

* They had this Digimon that looked like a darkness variation of GeoGreymon, where in the past his name would have been BlackGeoGreymon. You know what they called him? Greymon. What The *Censored*.

What I saw of Digimon Fusion was god awful though. I wasn't even mad when they pushed it from Nickelodeon to Nicktoons. I only saw a little bit and don't remember much, but between the weird Digimon designs, fusion replacing digivolution, Shoutmon's annoying English voice, and some kind of bizarre retcons*, I couldn't watch it. As far as I'm concerned from favorite to least favorite...

1. Season 1

2. Season 2

3. Season 3 ("Tamers")

4. Season 5 Data Squad - loved it, but S3 was more memorable

5. Season 4 ("Frontier") - hated it, but it had some interesting things

6. Season 6 Fusion

I think there are some lessons to be learned here. Maybe Saban isn't the good luck charm after all. Maybe Fox just knew how to promote a TV show better. Or maybe it's got nothing to do with them... Bad things just happen when you take the digivolution formula (the main appeal of the the series) and *Censored* around with it.

* They had this Digimon that looked like a darkness variation of GeoGreymon, where in the past his name would have been BlackGeoGreymon. You know what they called him? Greymon. What The *Censored*.

It's not a Geogreymon. It's just a new Greymon, like when they made a new Agumon in 2006. (eventually they realised people hated the new Agumon and stopped using it, bringing back the original one. Now that Fusion is done and Adventure 3 will be a thing they'll just go back to the original Greymon)

Anyway if you bother to actually watch it digivolution is brought back in I believe episode 30. Digifuse is basically just DNA Digivolution with more guys.

Saban are dubbers. They had nothing to do with the show itself.

So if you hate them not having digivolving for half the season - did you hate season two and four as well? because for half of season two they have armour evolution and for all of season 4 they have spirit evolution. Season two and six (fusion) eventually bring in digivolution but I guess they just want to try new stuff.

In the orignial series there are two versions of Metalgreymon, an orange one and a blue one. Both have the name Metalgreymon. Same thing?

I'll be fair, them completely ignoring the rookie to mega levels in season 4 and 6 (arguably for 4 as their Human forms as seen as Champion, Beast as Ultimate and combined as Mega, at least in the card game) pissed me off too but not enough that I didn't enjoy either season.

I seem to be one of the few people who actually like Frontier. Spirit evolution was a pretty cool replacement, though I did miss traditional digivolution. Only thing I didn't like was how Takuya and Koji(?) got all the powerups while everyone else got nothing and was made to look like a chump.

I seem to be one of the few people who actually like Frontier. Spirit evolution was a pretty cool replacement, though I did miss traditional digivolution. Only thing I didn't like was how Takuya and Koji(?) got all the powerups while everyone else got nothing and was made to look like a chump.

Think I can agree with you there, word for word, and add in that Frontiers theme song rocked.

Would anyone like the idea of a Death Note sequel or spin off? Something to continue expanding the universe of the story and answer questions like what exactly that place L is from and such.

Maybe something like someone L caught in the past got ahold of the book k n prison.

Eh it's not too bad I'd just say it's the one I liked the least. Well that or Fusion.

It never made sense the rest never used their combined forms. I just don't like when they ignore levels. At least if the main guys don't have it, don't just ignore levels completely. You have like champions doing damage to megas and shit when they shouldn't and in Frontier an IceDeimon (champion) and Lucemon (Rookie) were the strongest guys

Think I can agree with you there, word for word, and add in that Frontiers theme song rocked.

Would anyone like the idea of a Death Note sequel or spin off? Something to continue expanding the universe of the story and answer questions like what exactly that place L is from and such.

Maybe something like someone L caught in the past got ahold of the book k n prison.

Aye Fronteir has the best theme

Death Note was already expanded in the Manga, with C-Kira. They could just anime that and the other DN spin offs

• 2 weeks later...

Eh it's not too bad I'd just say it's the one I liked the least. Well that or Fusion.

It never made sense the rest never used their combined forms. I just don't like when they ignore levels. At least if the main guys don't have it, don't just ignore levels completely. You have like champions doing damage to megas and shit when they shouldn't and in Frontier an IceDeimon (champion) and Lucemon (Rookie) were the strongest guys

I'm pretty sure there are a few instances where lower level digimon have beaten higher level ones, though I can't remember any examples outside of Lucemon who's an obvious exception. That's actually one thing I think Pokémon does better than Digimon. Level and type advantage and yada yada are big factors, but they're not the end all be all like in Digimon.

I've seen a lot of people consider Fusion to be pretty decent. Young Hunters on the other hand, is generally considered by far the worst by everyone. Kinda like how Zexal is almost universally hated by everyone who actually keeps up with Yugioh and isn't blinded by nostalgia (they hate it too, but they hate everything that's not the original, so their opinion is irrelevant). I only watched the crossover finale for Hunters and that was just terrible for so many reasons

Yeah champion beating ultimate and etc is fair. I remember once Growlmon (Champion) beat one of the Devas (Ultimate).

I guess the likes of Shoutmon have no official level anyway so it doesn't matter

and yeah Fusion being the worst is probably fair (only seen the first season). I don't think any Digimon series is bad

• 2 weeks later...

After finishing the Chimera Ant-arc, I can say that:

Gon is a dick. For the majority of the series, I thought Killua was going to be the dick and snap and be a threat. Turns out it's the other way around.

And I never liked Kite anyway.

It's not really a "dick move", if you can't emotionally take it and lose it all. Gon was hit hard with reality and for a twelve year old - who just lost his idol - it was just to much.

And Killua was never going "to snap". He's a trained assassin and will hardly ever lose his "coolness".

Gon is a dick. For the majority of the series, I thought Killua was going to be the dick and snap and be a threat. Turns out it's the other way around.

It's not really a "dick move", if you can't emotionally take it and lose it all. Gon was hit hard with reality and for a twelve year old - who just lost his idol - it was just to much.

And Killua was never going "to snap". He's a trained assassin and will hardly ever lose his "coolness".

He held an innocent blind girl hostage and was legit going to kill her because she got help from Pitou, while Kite got killed by Pitou. I know he suffered a tragic loss, but that's straight up villain. He also accused Killua of not giving a shit, even though the latter already sacrificed a lot just to get to that point. And being a kid in a manga hardly is an issue, I mean look at Killua, who usually is one of the most, if not the most intelligent, mature member of whatever party he's in.

It can be explained as justifiable, understandable, also maybe just him being a human torn by loss, but it's still a dick move by someone who has an extremely selfish personality to the point you'd think he could put just about anyone into jeopardy if he's pissed off enough and if it means he could play out his ideal situation. That's usually reserved for villians, so I was very surprised to see how unstable the happy-go-lucky Gon turned out to be. I like it though. It's very refreshing. But to be honest, his dad always came across as a selfish prick to me too. And Gon definitely has some very negative traits to his personality that I can be becoming an even bigger problem to his allies in the future. Not the near future though, because there is no near future for HxH.....

About Killua, Illumi made the prediction that Killua would at the very least attempt to take Gon's life, just to see he could, especially with the underlying assassin mentality they were trying to beat into him. And we all know how every manga has got at least some foreshadowing. Silva was confident Killua would come back to him out of his own free will to take over the family business. During the Heavens Arena arc, Killua had a small superiority complex and seemed annoyed whenever someone who he sees himself as superior to, started to reach him. This happened a couple of times with Gon. Not to mention he lashed out against Zushi, just because he wouldn't go down.

So at the very least, there was a theme of Killua's internal struggle between fighting his "destiny" and assassin instincts to become the lynchpin of the Zoldyck Family and abandoning all that for the sake of his friendship with Gon. About keeping his cool, his family basically unanimously agrees that Killua is mentally weak and even though he always has been level-headed, he also had problems with dealing with frustration, not to mention the odd switch in his entire demeanor and personality when he went into "Assassin Mode".

Later on, it did seemed less and less likely for it to lash out against Gon, as his assassin mode also popped up as a reaction to anyone who threatened Gon. Instead, Bisky then showed how Killua's assassin mentality could be a threat to Gon in a completely different way, by predicting that his defeatist attitude would cause him to ditch Gon if it ever was the safe option to do so. It wasn't until he removed Illumi's mind controlling needle that the issue was truly resolved. Before that, I personally thought his Asssassin Mode hinted at a demonic side and that the full potential of it was why Illumi predicted Killua to go after Gon eventually and why Silva was so confident Killua would come back eventually. Now I know he has full control over it and that it's not even an "it" to begin with.

Anyway, that's basically my explanation.

Jiggy:

Is everything you said about Killua in the 2nd-half of your comment (which is an absolutely brilliant post, by the way, will respond to it all soon enough) a back-up to your explanation that Gon is internally a selfish person?

Because now I can kind of see where you're coming from, even though I would say calling out Gon and saying he has some "very negative traits" and an "extremely selfish personality" may be a bit of a stretch. A lot of his actions were driven by what he thought of as betraying his companions, those he began to value as much as he did towards/in the Komugi/King arc.

I don't think any of his emotions or acts were purely driven by some warped form of cynicism, or greed for a specific pursuit.

Jiggy:

Is everything you said about Killua in the 2nd-half of your comment (which is an absolutely brilliant post, by the way, will respond to it all soon enough) a back-up to your explanation that Gon is internally a selfish person?

Because now I can kind of see where you're coming from, even though I would say calling out Gon and saying he has some "very negative traits" and an "extremely selfish personality" may be a bit of a stretch. A lot of his actions were driven by what he thought of as betraying his companions, those he began to value as much as he did towards/in the Komugi/King arc.

I don't think any of his emotions or acts were purely driven by some warped form of cynicism, or greed for a specific pursuit.

No, it was meant to show that I had good reason to suspect Killua could possibly snap one day. None of it was meant to help my argument about Gon.

Speaking of Gon, I forgot about his actions during the Yorknew City Arc. (Speaking of that, as a name, Yorknew City, really?) But there is a case to be made that Gon was acting on a sense of self-guilt over the situation Kite was in and therefore felt responsible for the death of his mentor. Killua himself also said that they both were overconfident by tagging along with Kite, expecting they could handle it. And it's not like Gon was the only one who let personal emotions cloud his judgement. Knuckle completely screwed everybody over when he released that Nen-sapping interest-thingy on Youpi. It possibly was the dumbest move of the arc. In fact, the top-3 dumbest moves in that arc probably can all be contributed to Knuckle.

However, I felt that when Gon saw Kite and decided he wanted Pitou 1-on-1, the selfish aspect kicked in. Get Kite back. That was his objective. Not anyone else's. Not even Killua's. Because Gon was never going to accept him helping/interfering in any way as soon as the fight started. Then Pitou couldn't fight because Komugi had to be healed, so Gon prepared to attack the both of them. Then Killua got in his way by telling him to keep his cool and take the time to wait and Gon told him that it was none of his business to get him to stop objecting him. That shows to me he's easily willing to discard someone like Killua as his equal when he's in that state. It's not the first time either, although obviously the first time at that scale. His fight against Genthru the Bomber also was one where he completely disregarded the plans made beforehand, just because he wanted to prove to himself that he could hurt someone like Genthru, when others said he couldn't. He succeeded and then carried out the plan. But at least then he had some internal guilt over it and knew he was wrong. Talking to Killua (and later on Knuckle and the rest outside), it seemed like he felt so obligated to have things go his way, it was like a villian giving orders to his servants.

Gon isn't your typical shounen-hero who is driven by some sense of moral justice. He has his ideals, but a growing trend is that he seems to be driven by his own set of ideals or objectives more and more. It could very well be that his actions at the climax of the Chimera Ant arc can be seen as an isolated incident, in exceptional circumstances and something like that might never happen again. However, I'm one of those guys who believes when someone shows a dark side, it will pop up again eventually. I guess if I was a character from HxH, I would be Welfin. Not trusting anyone until they're dead.

He held an innocent blind girl hostage and was legit going to kill her because she got help from Pitou, while Kite got killed by Pitou. I know he suffered a tragic loss, but that's straight up villain. He also accused Killua of not giving a shit, even though the latter already sacrificed a lot just to get to that point. And being a kid in a manga hardly is an issue, I mean look at Killua, who usually is one of the most, if not the most intelligent, mature member of whatever party he's in.

It can be explained as justifiable, understandable, also maybe just him being a human torn by loss, but it's still a dick move by someone who has an extremely selfish personality to the point you'd think he could put just about anyone into jeopardy if he's pissed off enough and if it means he could play out his ideal situation. That's usually reserved for villians, so I was very surprised to see how unstable the happy-go-lucky Gon turned out to be. I like it though. It's very refreshing. But to be honest, his dad always came across as a selfish prick to me too. And Gon definitely has some very negative traits to his personality that I can be becoming an even bigger problem to his allies in the future. Not the near future though, because there is no near future for HxH.....

About Killua, Illumi made the prediction that Killua would at the very least attempt to take Gon's life, just to see he could, especially with the underlying assassin mentality they were trying to beat into him. And we all know how every manga has got at least some foreshadowing. Silva was confident Killua would come back to him out of his own free will to take over the family business. During the Heavens Arena arc, Killua had a small superiority complex and seemed annoyed whenever someone who he sees himself as superior to, started to reach him. This happened a couple of times with Gon. Not to mention he lashed out against Zushi, just because he wouldn't go down.

So at the very least, there was a theme of Killua's internal struggle between fighting his "destiny" and assassin instincts to become the lynchpin of the Zoldyck Family and abandoning all that for the sake of his friendship with Gon. About keeping his cool, his family basically unanimously agrees that Killua is mentally weak and even though he always has been level-headed, he also had problems with dealing with frustration, not to mention the odd switch in his entire demeanor and personality when he went into "Assassin Mode".

Later on, it did seemed less and less likely for it to lash out against Gon, as his assassin mode also popped up as a reaction to anyone who threatened Gon. Instead, Bisky then showed how Killua's assassin mentality could be a threat to Gon in a completely different way, by predicting that his defeatist attitude would cause him to ditch Gon if it ever was the safe option to do so. It wasn't until he removed Illumi's mind controlling needle that the issue was truly resolved. Before that, I personally thought his Asssassin Mode hinted at a demonic side and that the full potential of it was why Illumi predicted Killua to go after Gon eventually and why Silva was so confident Killua would come back eventually. Now I know he has full control over it and that it's not even an "it" to begin with.

Anyway, that's basically my explanation.

It's not that I disagree with you :lol:

I think it's just the wording of it.

Killua wouldn't snap, because that's how he has always been and Gon wasn't a 'dick', his actions have simply been pretty hypocritical at the end.

If I were a HxH character I would probably be...well...the guy in my avy

(*censored* this world, everything is *censored* up, I will drink myself out of this world.)

or Manga Leorio

(You depend on me, I will do some pretty cool stuff, but if there's a strong enemy I will not fight)

Archived