The Official Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Misatouki

Jiggy:

Is everything you said about Killua in the 2nd-half of your comment (which is an absolutely brilliant post, by the way, will respond to it all soon enough) a back-up to your explanation that Gon is internally a selfish person?

Because now I can kind of see where you're coming from, even though I would say calling out Gon and saying he has some "very negative traits" and an "extremely selfish personality" may be a bit of a stretch. A lot of his actions were driven by what he thought of as betraying his companions, those he began to value as much as he did towards/in the Komugi/King arc.

I don't think any of his emotions or acts were purely driven by some warped form of cynicism, or greed for a specific pursuit.

No, it was meant to show that I had good reason to suspect Killua could possibly snap one day. None of it was meant to help my argument about Gon.

Speaking of Gon, I forgot about his actions during the Yorknew City Arc. (Speaking of that, as a name, Yorknew City, really?) But there is a case to be made that Gon was acting on a sense of self-guilt over the situation Kite was in and therefore felt responsible for the death of his mentor. Killua himself also said that they both were overconfident by tagging along with Kite, expecting they could handle it. And it's not like Gon was the only one who let personal emotions cloud his judgement. Knuckle completely screwed everybody over when he released that Nen-sapping interest-thingy on Youpi. It possibly was the dumbest move of the arc. In fact, the top-3 dumbest moves in that arc probably can all be contributed to Knuckle.

However, I felt that when Gon saw Kite and decided he wanted Pitou 1-on-1, the selfish aspect kicked in. Get Kite back. That was his objective. Not anyone else's. Not even Killua's. Because Gon was never going to accept him helping/interfering in any way as soon as the fight started. Then Pitou couldn't fight because Komugi had to be healed, so Gon prepared to attack the both of them. Then Killua got in his way by telling him to keep his cool and take the time to wait and Gon told him that it was none of his business to get him to stop objecting him. That shows to me he's easily willing to discard someone like Killua as his equal when he's in that state. It's not the first time either, although obviously the first time at that scale. His fight against Genthru the Bomber also was one where he completely disregarded the plans made beforehand, just because he wanted to prove to himself that he could hurt someone like Genthru, when others said he couldn't. He succeeded and then carried out the plan. But at least then he had some internal guilt over it and knew he was wrong. Talking to Killua (and later on Knuckle and the rest outside), it seemed like he felt so obligated to have things go his way, it was like a villian giving orders to his servants.

Gon isn't your typical shounen-hero who is driven by some sense of moral justice. He has his ideals, but a growing trend is that he seems to be driven by his own set of ideals or objectives more and more. It could very well be that his actions at the climax of the Chimera Ant arc can be seen as an isolated incident, in exceptional circumstances and something like that might never happen again. However, I'm one of those guys who believes when someone shows a dark side, it will pop up again eventually. I guess if I was a character from HxH, I would be Welfin. Not trusting anyone until they're dead.

Then again, one could propose that Gon would have never accepted him intervening/helping since the fight started, out of his selflessness. Of course, at first, you would think: "Why is he being like this? It's as if he's completely neglecting Killua in a sense" but linking to your comment on his selfishness: I feel like it's an aspect that consumes him, and he wants to take full responsibility of whatever it drives him into doing.

If he was villainous, he wouldn't have banished Killua from assisting him; I doubt Gon would even care if Killua stepped into the fight and got hurt, if Gon was gaining the upper hand. But this is if we were going by your belief that he has an "extremely selfish personality". Also, yeah, you're right about him potentially discarding of him and not seeing his thoughts on an equal level as his own; but this is also a part of human nature, in a sense.

When you're truly pissed off (like, really pissed off) at somebody and want to beat the living shit out of them -- are you honestly going to respond to your companion trying to calm you down the first chance they get? It will take time, like it did with Gon, but how he reacted is representative of how a lot of us would or do, to be honest.

However, I do agree he's not your typical shounen-hero because in a sense; a ton of the actions he did drive himself to doing was more out of him having to pursue and fulfil these objectives. Like, if Killua ended up being seriously hurt in one of these objectives; he would care and feel an internal sense of guilt towards this, but as soon as Killua fully recovers - Gon would be likely to resume pursuing said objective than contemplating, "If we honestly pursue this again, Killua could die the next time and it would be my fault just like Kite (this is all hypothetical)."

Gon does show hints of selfish traits, but I doubt he's self-conscious of these traits that can bleed through at his most enraged and self-interested moments. And a true villain (like Illumi) would honestly be self-aware of that.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I legit hate Team Rocket's guts now. They're needlessly shoehorned into every episode just for the sake of being there and take away from whatever's actually going on. Granted this has been going on since the beginning and I really got tired of them back in gen 3. It's just after they finally fixed them in gen 5 only to make go back to the crap they used to be. Now I get pissed off every time they show up. They should've either written them off for good or let them at least they competent while only appearing occasionally.

I legit hate Team Rocket's guts now. They're needlessly shoehorned into every episode just for the sake of being there and take away from whatever's actually going on. Granted this has been going on since the beginning and I really got tired of them back in gen 3. It's just after they finally fixed them in gen 5 only to make go back to the crap they used to be. Now I get pissed off every time they show up. They should've either written them off for good or let them at least they competent while only appearing occasionally.

... you're still watching Pokemon? The last good season was Johto, then it started feeling like they were dumbing the show up so much to appeal to kids that I just quit.

They were good at the beginning of Unova and now they're even worse than they were before, they ruin any episode they're in, which is a shame because outside of TR, XY has been great.

Jiggy:

Is everything you said about Killua in the 2nd-half of your comment (which is an absolutely brilliant post, by the way, will respond to it all soon enough) a back-up to your explanation that Gon is internally a selfish person?

Because now I can kind of see where you're coming from, even though I would say calling out Gon and saying he has some "very negative traits" and an "extremely selfish personality" may be a bit of a stretch. A lot of his actions were driven by what he thought of as betraying his companions, those he began to value as much as he did towards/in the Komugi/King arc.

I don't think any of his emotions or acts were purely driven by some warped form of cynicism, or greed for a specific pursuit.

No, it was meant to show that I had good reason to suspect Killua could possibly snap one day. None of it was meant to help my argument about Gon.

Speaking of Gon, I forgot about his actions during the Yorknew City Arc. (Speaking of that, as a name, Yorknew City, really?) But there is a case to be made that Gon was acting on a sense of self-guilt over the situation Kite was in and therefore felt responsible for the death of his mentor. Killua himself also said that they both were overconfident by tagging along with Kite, expecting they could handle it. And it's not like Gon was the only one who let personal emotions cloud his judgement. Knuckle completely screwed everybody over when he released that Nen-sapping interest-thingy on Youpi. It possibly was the dumbest move of the arc. In fact, the top-3 dumbest moves in that arc probably can all be contributed to Knuckle.

However, I felt that when Gon saw Kite and decided he wanted Pitou 1-on-1, the selfish aspect kicked in. Get Kite back. That was his objective. Not anyone else's. Not even Killua's. Because Gon was never going to accept him helping/interfering in any way as soon as the fight started. Then Pitou couldn't fight because Komugi had to be healed, so Gon prepared to attack the both of them. Then Killua got in his way by telling him to keep his cool and take the time to wait and Gon told him that it was none of his business to get him to stop objecting him. That shows to me he's easily willing to discard someone like Killua as his equal when he's in that state. It's not the first time either, although obviously the first time at that scale. His fight against Genthru the Bomber also was one where he completely disregarded the plans made beforehand, just because he wanted to prove to himself that he could hurt someone like Genthru, when others said he couldn't. He succeeded and then carried out the plan. But at least then he had some internal guilt over it and knew he was wrong. Talking to Killua (and later on Knuckle and the rest outside), it seemed like he felt so obligated to have things go his way, it was like a villian giving orders to his servants.

Gon isn't your typical shounen-hero who is driven by some sense of moral justice. He has his ideals, but a growing trend is that he seems to be driven by his own set of ideals or objectives more and more. It could very well be that his actions at the climax of the Chimera Ant arc can be seen as an isolated incident, in exceptional circumstances and something like that might never happen again. However, I'm one of those guys who believes when someone shows a dark side, it will pop up again eventually. I guess if I was a character from HxH, I would be Welfin. Not trusting anyone until they're dead.

Then again, one could propose that Gon would have never accepted him intervening/helping since the fight started, out of his selflessness. Of course, at first, you would think: "Why is he being like this? It's as if he's completely neglecting Killua in a sense" but linking to your comment on his selfishness: I feel like it's an aspect that consumes him, and he wants to take full responsibility of whatever it drives him into doing.

If he was villainous, he wouldn't have banished Killua from assisting him; I doubt Gon would even care if Killua stepped into the fight and got hurt, if Gon was gaining the upper hand. But this is if we were going by your belief that he has an "extremely selfish personality". Also, yeah, you're right about him potentially discarding of him and not seeing his thoughts on an equal level as his own; but this is also a part of human nature, in a sense.

When you're truly pissed off (like, really pissed off) at somebody and want to beat the living shit out of them -- are you honestly going to respond to your companion trying to calm you down the first chance they get? It will take time, like it did with Gon, but how he reacted is representative of how a lot of us would or do, to be honest.

However, I do agree he's not your typical shounen-hero because in a sense; a ton of the actions he did drive himself to doing was more out of him having to pursue and fulfil these objectives. Like, if Killua ended up being seriously hurt in one of these objectives; he would care and feel an internal sense of guilt towards this, but as soon as Killua fully recovers - Gon would be likely to resume pursuing said objective than contemplating, "If we honestly pursue this again, Killua could die the next time and it would be my fault just like Kite (this is all hypothetical)."

Gon does show hints of selfish traits, but I doubt he's self-conscious of these traits that can bleed through at his most enraged and self-interested moments. And a true villain (like Illumi) would honestly be self-aware of that.

I understand your view, but I'm guessing this is going to be one of those agree to disagree-sort of thing. You make good points of course, pointing out that Gon acted like how he did consumed by rage and it wasn't self-conscious in the sense that it's his personality 24/7. A true villain would of course commit way beyond it, what Gon did can be seen as a hint/a start at best.

I do believe that he has a dangerous potential to be that guy if it develops and grows. It's mostly based on his reaction towards Killua, that is based on his extreme sense of trying to take responsibility on his own, but also makes him come across as a bit ungrateful towards Killua. It depends on what happens in the future of HxH I guess, although I don't think they'll go that direction. And I guess my wording was a bit extreme. So I guess it's a personality flaw that makes Gon actually a bit fresher than your average hero, but at the same time, it could be a real problem in the future.

... you're still watching Pokemon? The last good season was Johto, then it started feeling like they were dumbing the show up so much to appeal to kids that I just quit.

1. Yes I still watch Pokémon. For what it is, it's still entertaining.

2. It's been like that since day 1 and Johto is generally considered to be one of the weaker seasons. Granted I think that has more to do with filler than anything.

Been watching Miyazaki movies and other stuff the last few weeks and all I have to say is that Kishimoto's comments about Naruto's TNJ(where he starts running his mouth at enemies) being some groundbreaking concept that had never been done before and was originally considered taboo in shonen is one of the biggest load of bull*censored* I've ever read. Hell, freaking Pokémon of all things was doing it and doing it better in the first movie before Nardo even existed. There is literally nothing even remotely close to groundbreaking about TNJ or anything in Nardo. At all. It's been done before. All Kishimoto did was turn it into a meme.

The league was terrible, never mind 'post league stuff'. worst league they've had. They had a filer episode about Axew getting lost in the middle of it so the league was three episodes + a random pointless filler

I finished watching Another last wednesday (I started on tuesday). That being said, it's the first anime I watched due to my girlfriend constantly asking me to watch it. I have no regret and I thank her every damn second.

But now I feel an empty feeling inside of me...

An empty feeling which I think I'll fill with more anime...

It begins.

I also hated it when Izumi died, she should've remained alive like Misaki, Kouichi and Naoya, they were supposed to be the main gang. :(

I finished watching Another last wednesday (I started on tuesday). That being said, it's the first anime I watched due to my girlfriend constantly asking me to watch it. I have no regret and I thank her every damn second.

But now I feel an empty feeling inside of me...

An empty feeling which I think I'll fill with more anime...

It begins.

I also hated it when Izumi died, she should've remained alive like Misaki, Kouichi and Naoya, they were supposed to be the main gang. :(

I watched a vid of all the deaths so I don't actually need to watch Another. Crazy shit though

Yeah I researched after all the deaths to see what the *Censored* was going on :P

the dead guy causing a curse where someone in the class/related to someone in the class dies every month and it can only be stopped by ignoring someone like they don't exist (before the year starts) or by killing the person who doesn't exist in the class room

then some dude just starts killing everyone hoping he finds the one

Wahey Zexal ended, I now look forward to Arc V. (dub obvs, *censored*s are a year behind)

Good ending tbf though they ended on a cliff hanger that will never ever be resolved. Shame, saving Astral World with everyone friends seems more interesting than the entire second half of Zexal.

"Yuma I'm gagaga over you" was hilarious tbh

I'm loving Arc-V right now. It craps all over Zexal. Not that that's hard to do. the duels are good, and, save for the three brats, the characters are nice and actually have a reason to be there(die tori), and I'm liking the whole multiversal war thing.

I've also been watching Tenchi Muyo.

• 2 weeks later...

Wahey they started airing Digimon Fusion again

Only took a year of waiting after episode 30

I hope they don't take like 5 years to air Adventure three

Yeah, I hope the Japanese version comes out soon. That way, Saban can get to dubbing, but also, I might take a quick peek at the first episode, because all I've seen so far is that promotional picture with all the Digi-destined. It's not that I want spoilers, but I need something.

And I hope they bring all of that 15th anniversary merch over here, but knowing Bandai...

Yeah, I hope the Japanese version comes out soon. That way, Saban can get to dubbing, but also, I might take a quick peek at the first episode, because all I've seen so far is that promotional picture with all the Digi-destined. It's not that I want spoilers, but I need something.

And I hope they bring all of that 15th anniversary merch over here, but knowing Bandai...

They released another picture of them with their Digimon the other day tbf

ikLBeKY.jpg

Archived