Cricket discussion thread

fizpop

I'm not 100% sure on how the test rankings work but I think they give points weighted on the ranking of the team you're playing. Australia beating SA in the series would gain more points than if England beat India in their series.

The current standings are

SA 120 points

England 117 points

Australia 116 points

then it's Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, New Zealand and Bangladesh.

I wouldn't mind it if come the Ashes next year it's Australia/England 1 vs 2.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to South Africa for smashing Australia in the Test. Better bowling/better batting. Does it every time.

Some real class shown to Ponting from all the SA players yesterday, forming a guard of honor for Ponting as he made his way out and congratulating him again after he got out.

Agree with that, I don't think we have the bowlers to bowl teams out. I don't think the Test against Sri Lanka starting today is going to give them much preparation for the Ashes.

Saw a bit of Malinga bowling for the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash. Guy ended up with figures of 6/7. Really strange action he's got.

Congrats to the Aussies for finally bowling Sri Lanka out late yesterday on the last day.

Congrats too to Sri Lanka for holding on for that long. I still think Australia struggles to bowl teams out. Take Siddle out of the attack and I don't think they've got much attack. Stark reminds me of Shaun Tait, sure he can bowl them fast but sometimes I think he really struggles with accuracy.

Sri Lanka claim Australia was ball tampering during the test. ICC threw it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems the First Test Australia vs India over in India is in doubt after 20 were killed in bomb blasts in Hyderabad over there.

Australia picked one spinner, I think they're gonna struggle if play starts on schedule.

I think this is the last series before the two Ashes series start.

Saw a bit of the Australia vs India Test over the weekend.

It's been a while since I last saw an Indian pitch. The thing was *censored*ing sand on the first day.

India 500 or something to Australia 350 odd. Lyon the spinner struggles.

• 2 weeks later...

Shane Watson, James Paterson, Usman Khawaja and Mitchell Johnson have been ruled out of selection for the third Test against India for, wait for it, not doing their homework.

After the humiliating defeat to India in the second Test the Australian coach gave every player homework to write a review of their performance. Four names above didn't do it before the deadline so have now been ruled out for team selection.

Shane Watson in particular wasn't too happy and has now left India and considering qutting Test cricket.

I think the former England captain who recently joked "what do you call a great Australian Test cricketer?" was right when he concluded "retired".

• 2 weeks later...

Been really crap by England this entire tour really. Unable to get McCullum out on countless occasions and have allowed him to do much damage. The pitches have all been awful and flat, offering nothing for the bowlers, but England as per usual capitulated on their first innings on an away tour and have batted poorly all the way through. Still question marks over Compton opening. Bell has been crap for a while and only gets scores when England already have 300 runs, lacks bottle or the temperament to dig in. Root hasn't had a great time but is worthy of more time. Broad despite having the most wickets hasn't been great and is so poor with the bat these days. Anderson hasn't been able to swing it and Finn hasn't really done much either.

If all players were fit and able to perform to a high level, then my ashes team would be: Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Morgan, Root, Prior, Swann, Finn, Anderson, Tremlett.

These 3 test matches really have been poor viewing. A lot of dull, flat pitches around in world cricket these days which are known to be so yet teams still pick them as test venues and don't attempt to make ground staff provide an interesting pitch.

Wow Prior got lucky then. Weird bouncer hit him in the neck, bounced down, hit the stumps pretty hard but somehow didn't knock the bails off. Quite rare that you see that especially when the ball hit the stumps so hard. England still in with a chance providing Bell and Prior stay in but Prior has looked like he could give it away and Bell still gives you that reason to doubt that he can do it.

Been following it on and off on text updates. How much longer do they have to play?

Really agree with what you said about the recent pitches, too much bias towards batting teams I think. Maybe that's partly why Australia got their pants pulled down in India.

Bell gives it away on the stroke of tea, no chance of Broad, Anderson and Panesar holding out now. There's 2 hours left, around 30 overs or so I think. Best hope is that Prior can be positive and get the field spread a bit more and get singles with a ball or so to spare. I suppose the one positive is that there isn't a better batsman in the world at batting with a tail. Or for some rain.

On the pitches thing, a team like NZ cannot really stand up to a team like England on anything other than a flat pitch which is probably wht it always happens there. In England I expect them to get blown away tbh.

Broad sounds like he's holding on alright.

Of course just I as I write that

"118.6 Boult to Broad, no run, APPEAL, swung back in sharply, hits on the toe of boot, loud appeal for LBW, upheld, review taken by Broad, not out is the decision of 3rd umpire. ENG 7/259 (Prior 67, Broad 0)"

I agree again about the pitches, I think local curators will always make the pitches to suit their home team and not for what makes entertaining or interesting test cricket.

Series saving 100 by Prior.

Archived