Cricket discussion thread

fizpop

Thought that Australia was going to win when they got a sniff in the early afternoon. De Villiers and Kallis played a strong defensive innings though and the match rightfully finished as a draw.

Michael Clarke got his 3rd 200 in 2012 as well, which is unreal. I think they said he's averaging over 115 this year which is crazy.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I was following it yesterday at work and as each wicket fell I thought they were going to do it. Got home and turned on the tv and even as it was becoming less and less likely, literally impossible, I still thought they could do it.

I thought the pitch for a day 5 wicket didn't give much to the bowlers.

If that 2nd day wasn't a wash out Australia would of got much closer but I think the draw, the way they had South Africa on the back foot for most of 2 days, puts them in good shape for the next test down in Adelaide I believe.

England's age old of policy of refusing to play two front line spinners comes back to bite them on the ass again...I see no reason as to why Bresnan needed to play this game. A nothing bowler who is the poorest seamer in the current squad that made the trip, who's batting is vastly overrated and near useless on tracks like these. Had Panesar of played then I'm sure India would have been 6/7 down with maybe 60-80 runs less. England pretty much playing for the draw already.

Highlights of the commentary I'm following on WWOS

"Imran Tahir to Warner, FOUR, full, drives it away wide of cover - that's the HUNDRED!! Just 93 balls in 144 mins, 4x6 13x4, 100 partnership as well"

"17 off the over, 63 runs in 6 overs since Lunch!! What is going on!!"

"du Plessis to Warner, SIX, full toss to start and Warner hammers it over square leg and he has hit a 3rd six!! That will take some finding! If it were a snooker game, we'd be on the second red as that ball is gone."

Warner and Clarke are going mental out there. Hit about 90 runs in the 40 minutes since the lunch break. Both look in really good knick and the South Africans don't look like they really know what to do anymore.

It's 93 runs from 9 overs since lunch. Warner especially was hammering the spinners. Tahir went for 17 from one over and Du Plessis wasn't much better in the one over he bowled.

Man, Warner might not always get it right, I think they might even pick him knowing that he might not always get it right, but when he does, faced with that situation where the top 3 were gone early, when he steps up he's really quite a great batsman.

Great batting but really mediocre bowling yesterday from South Africa.

I know Callis was off early and the other quick was off the field for a bit but this was supposed to be the attack that South Africa were saying was one of the best of all time.

I half agree and disagree with that statement about South Africa's bowling. The only bowling that I would have called mediocre was that of the spinners Tahir and Du Plessis. They were shocking to put it bluntly. However I thought the seamers (when they were actually bowling), and in particular Morkel, actually bowled well, just Clarke, Warner and Hussey were batting too good. South Africa has just had a torrid time with injuries, in that Philander isn't even playing and Kallis and Steyn were both off injured for lengthy spells.

It was fantastic batting, not taking anything away from that, I thought the quick that was still bowling had some good periods where they at least slowed down the runs but I thought there were still long periods of yesterday where it seemed the bowling plans and the fielding plans were not on the same page. Plus I don't think any national team should be able to score high 400, 480/490 whatever it was, runs in a day of cricket.

Australia just hit the 500, Clarks gone for 230, Australia now down to 7/501 early on the second day.

He's been below par for a few years now. One of the greatest sportsman that being English you love to hate. His antics in places have been very questionable, but you cannot question the talent and passion to succeed. A fine player and on his day one of the most destructive ever.

Would be ridiculous if Australia got back to being number 1 what with the quality of the current SA and England sides.

Archived