Cricket discussion thread

fizpop

Seen a bit of that Caribbean 20/20 too. Some nice lusty hitting there.

Congrats to England for emphatically winning the Ashes and congrats to Watson for finding some form with the bat in the final Test. A little late I guess.

Hoping it's a different series when England come down here.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Clark did alright setting up a finish on the last day. The light looked fine on the telly.

And congrats to England for winning the Ashes, I just feel that this series will be remembered more for some incompetent umpiring than any great feats on the pitch.

I watched the final of the CPL on Sunday - it was between the Jamaica Tallawahs (led by Chris Gayle) vs the Guyana Amazon Warriors. Jamaicha went on to win the inaugural tournament, beating Guyana 129-3 (17.5 overs) to 128-5 (20 overs).

Overall it was a good tournament. Hopefully if they do it again next year, they get Danny Morrison again on commentary, or as a sideline commentator.

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Sachin who announced his retirement overnight.

Great player and a thorn in many a side no doubt. Classy batter.

Read something that hotspot has been canned for the next Ashes series (because the pom's are cheats and use silicone on the side of their bats) :P

Can't be far off now until it starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Possible rain/storms up in Brisbane later today. heh...

But honestly, top line bowling by England and at times inept batting from Australia. Haddin and Johnson made it at least respectable towards the end.

It seemed a few of them couldn't deal too well with persistant high fast ball.

England tried the same to Clark and when it didn't work initially they seemed to give up.

heh...Front page of the local newspaper

2emlqwp.jpg

Not many players in the world can play a ball that high and fast to be honest.

Think the Aussies have made a bit of a mistake with the intensity of the sledging already. Threatening to break somebody's arm (said by the captain strangely) and calling people weak is a bit much after one match. Just hope it doesn't feed an already apparent undertone that overshadows the series in general.

I can sort of see that with the sledging. Generally I've got nothing against sledging if it's kept to a sort of genial level but who knows, maybe there's a lot more said that isn't picked up by the stump microphones. I remember a while ago one West Indian batter telling David Boom something along the lines of "are you going to get out or am I going to have to come around and kill you". I think there's a fine line before it gets out of hand.

Saying that though, there's not much room for amping it up when you've already told someone you're going to break their arm.

I'm sure it'll fire England up for the next Test.

• 2 weeks later...

Stokes get his test debut. I've been calling for this for a while now, so expect him to get a king pair and 0/200 in both innings. Root to 3, Panesar in as well apparently which again I think is a mistake. Obviously Stokes playing allows for the selection of a "pure" bowler, but I had hoped that would be Finn considering the extra pace he has that can be key on dead pitches. Even Bresnan would have been a better selection but I suspect he might not quite be fit enough yet.

Thought it was a pretty even first days play yesterday. England could of been on top if they caught their catches. Two tough chances but one in particular looked like a sitter. Thought Monty's wicket ball was a ripper.

Hoping Australia bat and bat and bat today. Heard their still might be a bit of rain about down there today.

Early rain didn't hang around for long.

Broad out end of first over of play.

Really impressed with Johnsons bowling this test. My complaint about the Australian cricket team was that I thought they didn't have the bowlers to bowl teams out twice. Obviously a bowler taking 8 wickets in a test helps a great deal.

Archived