What Was Your Introduction to You Favorite Band?

Sam The Dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kmLkfFrtU

First saw this band live at Sonisphere 2010. Fell in love with their unique style of 'Reggae Metal' & then recently found out that the lead singer is from the same town as me (In Wales).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zCN0YhW1s&ob=av3e

My ALL-TIME favourite song. Call me a 'stereotypical' Metal fan, but SlipKnot are definatley my favourite band. Seen them live & they were amazing beyond all belief!

I first heard this song about 5 years ago (When i was 13) instantly loved it and not stopped since!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My introduction to Current 93 came through, I think, the recordings of Boyd Rice & NON. It might of been through Death In June. DI6 and C93 can be loosely lumped together as what has been described as Apocalyptic Folk or Neofolk.

I can't remember what song exactly got me into C93 but it might of been this song that I vividly remember listening to after a friend had died.

After that I started hearing more of them I became intrigued that they could do these (topic) heavy songs about Death, a song called Hitler As Kalki which is about how Hitler was Kalki, the tenth and final incarnation of Vishnu with songs about cats & Noddy.

I later went to Hong Kong and managed to pick up a load of C93 cd's which I still pull out to this day.

Another great song by C93

My introduction to my favorite band was really odd. The first song I heard by them was the only song to this day that I still don't like. I heard "Fly" by Blind Guardian on satellite radio with a friend of mine, and we both wrote it off as being something we just weren't in to. Later on I looked up some of their other music and I was hooked instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBx9h-6vV4o

This was my first Blind Guardian song. hqhq.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Ilx_QRXdY&feature=player_embedded

I could definitely see that as a weird introduction to them. I still see Follow the Blind as their weakest album to this day, probably being followed by A Twist in the Myth. Tales From the Twilight World is amazing, and I'm quite fond of At the Edge of Time as well.

At least Mr. Sandman wasn't your first exp with them. :D

I'm glad it wasn't mine... clowns scare the shit out of me. Plus, some of their comedy covers are pretty bizarre. Barbara Ann is catchy though. Hopefully someone played Valhalla right after that for ya Radom!

If not, I will

^^ I always thought of this song as their anthem. Still easily one of my favorites by BG. Which is why I can't call Follow the Blind their worst album.

A Twist in the Myth is something of a departure for the band. Skalds and Shadows is a good tune though but the rest of the album sounds more like a side project than a real Guardian album. Somewhere Far Beyond is the album that really got me into them though.

I don't remember specifically what songs got me into many old school bands. Peace Sells and Run to the Hills were probably the first Megadeth and Maiden videos I saw waay back in the day. War Pigs was the song that really got me into Sabbath. I had heard Paranoid, Crazy Train and even Iron Man and other songs plenty, but it wasn't until I heard War Pigs that I really became a huge fan and got into them beyond just the giving them the nod as the leading progenitors of metal.

These days, I like a lot of Melodeath and the thing is, the band that is responsible for introducing me to many awesome bands that I love like Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Carcass, Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium and a bunch of other bands is... ... In Flames. :mellow: I can't express my disappointment in words over what In Flames has become. Not saying that because it's the trend either, its how I would feel if everyone loved their newer stuff. Anyways, I can't recall which individual songs got me into many of those other groups. But I discovered that genre through In Flames and this was the song: December Flower off of the Jester Race which was IMO their best album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo

I think I did hear Valhalla after that song.

Follow the Blind was far from their worst album. A Twist in the Myth, and At the Edge of Time are. After I heard a couple of Blind Guardian songs, I went and listened to Battalions of Fear, which is pretty good. Majesty, Guardian of the Blind, Wizard's Crown, and the title track were all fantastic pieces of work. There's a huge amount of great Blind Guardian albums, Battalions of Fear, Follow the Blind, Somewhere Far Beyond, Tales from the Twlight World, Imaginations From the Other Side, A Night at the Opera, and even Nightfall in Middle-Earth are all great to listen to.

I think I did hear Valhalla after that song.

Follow the Blind was far from their worst album. A Twist in the Myth, and At the Edge of Time are. After I heard a couple of Blind Guardian songs, I went and listened to Battalions of Fear, which is pretty good. Majesty, Guardian of the Blind, Wizard's Crown, and the title track were all fantastic pieces of work. There's a huge amount of great Blind Guardian albums, Battalions of Fear, Follow the Blind, Somewhere Far Beyond, Tales from the Twlight World, Imaginations From the Other Side, A Night at the Opera, and even Nightfall in Middle-Earth are all great to listen to.

Yeah it's hard to rank them.

I can only imagine having been at a record store in the late 80's and picking up Battalions on a whim and being blown away by Majesty as the first track. You figure, that was a number of people's first experience with them and that's really cool.

As far as ranking those albums, here goes. Keep in mind this is highly subjective. After first 4, it's hard!

Album / reason

Somewhere Far Beyond - biased because this album got me into them. Plus Bard's Song!

Tales... - so many literary references which became the band's most identifiable theme.

Battalions of Fear - one hell of a debut, had that pure 80's speed metal sound

Imaginations... - this album modernized power metal. You can hear what I mean on Mordred's Song & Title track

Follow the Blind - it's sort of repetitive & has the joke track, but most of it's raw,in a really F'N good way

Nightfall - it has like 10 million songs on it. Been a long while since I listened to it, but I recall the concept of this concept album flowing well from start to finish and for a concept album at least it uses good source material

At the Edge of Time - a really strong return to form IMO

Night at the Opera - great, but not enough stand out songs for me to rank higher.

Twist in the Myth - I don't mind Fly... but this album is still their weakest effort.

I would guess that if you polled fans, the first 3 albums (that they released) would get the most votes. I think Imaginations is the best bet for introducing them to an audience that isn't as familiar with power metal in general though and from there, the Demons & Wizards supergroup that Hansi fronted would be the next step. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4lS9Q2lrbU&feature=related

Wrestling was pretty big in my school around 2000/2001 and when Undertaker used Rollin' people were buying LB's album and some of my friends had the album and let me listen to it and I got hooked on it, bought it myself and then started to get Limp Bizkit's other albums.

I got into Linkin Park when I first saw Papercut on Kerrang, I pretty much have all their albums too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jE4eUKfYU

I love how on the Hybird Theory album Papercut plays straight into One Step Closer, that's awesome.

Archived