Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

I'm reading RIP next as its the easiest one to find. And I plan on eventually reading all of the bigger Batman stories anyways. I just love the characters of Gotham City (especially Nightwing, Joker, Riddler, Red Hood). I might actually enjoy reading them more because of his villains and sidekicks than reading them for Batman himself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading RIP next as its the easiest one to find.

Yeah, don't do that. R.I.P. is NOT a standalone story. You need pretty much all of Grant Morrison's Batman run to understand it, and even then it's still confusing as shit. Stay away from the Final Crisis-era Batman (Anything with Damian, The Black Glove and Dickbats) for now if you've just started reading Graphic Novels.

They should really indicate what you need to understand R.I.P. on the cover.

Just found out today Green Lanterns Gay....Will DC un-gay him like they brought Superman back from the dead if fans don't react well to him now?

First of all, it's not

A. "Green Lantern". There is not one Green Lantern. There are over 3200+.

B. They will not un-gay him. If people don't like it, oh well.

C. The gay Green Lantern is Alan Scott who is not in mainstream DC Comic Earth. He is in Earth-2, separate universe from most of the comic books out by DC (Except World's Finest?)

He proposed to his boyfriend in Issue 2. He didn't turn gay, it's implied he's been gay for as long as he's loved.

D. Superman was never going to stay dead forever. (See: Jean Grey)

Finished reading Hush last night, loved it. Now I'm just scrolling through the other arcs trying to decide which to read next. I'm interested by Dick Grayson, as Robin and Nightwing. Any Batman arcs really good with him playing a big part?

He plays a part in most Batman storyarcs. His most essential stories I'd say are Nighting Year One, Robin Year One, Batman: Prodigal, Nightwing: Leap of Faith, Nightwing: Freefall, and Detective Comics: Black Mirror (Dickbats).

I'm not sure I *censored*ing comprehend AvX5.

It was incredibly stupid.

Finished reading The Black Glove story arc and I'm not sure I completely comprendè. So I think I'll wait to pick the RIP story line back up when I'm more Batman savvy.

Don't worry that's just Grant Morrison's writing. Reading more Batman isn't really going to help you. I thought it was pretty straightforward though. What did you have problems with?

You should have started with Batman and Son first. Morrison's Batman trades in order are Batman and Son, The Black Glove, RIP, Batman Reborn, Batman vs Robin, Batman and Robin Must Die, and Batman Inc. He wrote FInal Crisis and it would be placed after RIP, but I wouldn't bother with it. Battle for the Cowl would be before Reborn. Time and the Batman should be read before Batman and Robin Must Die. Return of Bruce Wayne should be read before Batman and Robin Must Die.

Finished reading Hush last night, loved it. Now I'm just scrolling through the other arcs trying to decide which to read next. I'm interested by Dick Grayson, as Robin and Nightwing. Any Batman arcs really good with him playing a big part?

He plays a part in most Batman storyarcs. His most essential stories I'd say are Nighting Year One, Robin Year One, Batman: Prodigal, Nightwing: Leap of Faith, Nightwing: Freefall, and Detective Comics: Black Mirror (Dickbats).

I'm not sure I *censored*ing comprehend AvX5.

It was incredibly stupid.

Finished reading The Black Glove story arc and I'm not sure I completely comprendè. So I think I'll wait to pick the RIP story line back up when I'm more Batman savvy.

Don't worry that's just Grant Morrison's writing. Reading more Batman isn't really going to help you. I thought it was pretty straightforward though. What did you have problems with?

You should have started with Batman and Son first. Morrison's Batman trades in order are Batman and Son, The Black Glove, RIP, Batman Reborn, Batman vs Robin, Batman and Robin Must Die, and Batman Inc. He wrote FInal Crisis and it would be placed after RIP, but I wouldn't bother with it. Battle for the Cowl would be before Reborn. Time and the Batman should be read before Batman and Robin Must Die. Return of Bruce Wayne should be read before Batman and Robin Must Die.

I just wasn't completely sure what was going on with the flashbacks (if that's even what they were), and those wierd little ghost looking things in batman suits.

You should have probably read Batman and Son first.

Here's a reading order (by tpb) I stole off another site:

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

Batman Rip

Final Crisis

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? (Not Morrison, and not essential, but good nonetheless)

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn

Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin (Chapters 1-3)

Batman: Time and the Batman (Chaper 1)

Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin (Chapters 4-6)

The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin: Batman Must Die (Chapters 1-3)

Batman:Time and the Batman (Chapters 2-3)

Batman and Robin: Batman Must Die (Chapter 4)

Too messy? Too bad, that's how comics are.

Just read AvX5. What a load of balls. Also, Scott's costume totally looked like Nightwing's after what happened.

Also finished Ultimate Spider-Man #11 which was great. Seems like we're going to see some of the Peter Parker stuff finally mix with Miles Morales. That's the thing that I miss about Peter Parker dying, you don't get to see Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, MJ or anyone like that anymore and that was part of what made the book great so I'm glad they're seemingly going to interact soon, it was going to happen eventually. Apart from that, interesting dynamic between Miles and his uncle.

Just found out today Green Lanterns Gay....Will DC un-gay him like they brought Superman back from the dead if fans don't react well to him now?

First of all, it's not

A. "Green Lantern". There is not one Green Lantern. There are over 3200+.

B. They will not un-gay him. If people don't like it, oh well.

C. The gay Green Lantern is Alan Scott who is not in mainstream DC Comic Earth. He is in Earth-2, separate universe from most of the comic books out by DC (Except World's Finest?)

He proposed to his boyfriend in Issue 2. He didn't turn gay, it's implied he's been gay for as long as he's loved.

D. Superman was never going to stay dead forever. (See: Jean Grey)

The media is treating it like it's THEE Green lantern, be it Kyle Rayner or Hal Jordan I really though it was one of them...

The media is treating it like it's THEE Green lantern, be it Kyle Rayner or Hal Jordan I really though it was one of them...

While he's not the most known, Gay Lantern is the first Green Lantern.

Alan Scott was a bad choice to be the homosexual character. For anyone that doesn't know, Alan Scott was the Golden Age Green Lantern and his backstory and powers are a little different. Scott found a flaming, magic lantern. This flaming lantern told him to make a ring. The ring allows him to create objects like the later Green lanterns, but its weakness is wood (unlike the other GLs' weakness to the color yellow). In other words, their gay character has a flaming lantern and a weakness to wood.

Black Panther

Hope Summers

Tim Drake

Iron Fist

Black Panther - The Client, Enemy of the State, Who Is Black Panther, Bad Mutha, The New Fantastic Four (Fantastic Four)

Hope Summers - Second Coming (note that Second Coming was the second part of a broad storyline, you may wish to read Messiah Complex before reading Second Coming)

Tim Drake - Red Robin: The Grail, Red Robin: The Collission, any trade from Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run

Iron Fist - Franction/Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist run (the first three trades), Iron Man 2.0: Palmer Addley is Dead (a couple issues deal with Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons)

Alan Scott was a bad choice to be the homosexual character. For anyone that doesn't know, Alan Scott was the Golden Age Green Lantern and his backstory and powers are a little different. Scott found a flaming, magic lantern. This flaming lantern told him to make a ring. The ring allows him to create objects like the later Green lanterns, but its weakness is wood (unlike the other GLs' weakness to the color yellow). In other words, their gay character has a flaming lantern and a weakness to wood.

Black Panther

Hope Summers

Tim Drake

Iron Fist

Black Panther - The Client, Enemy of the State, Who Is Black Panther, Bad Mutha, The New Fantastic Four (Fantastic Four)

Hope Summers - Second Coming (note that Second Coming was the second part of a broad storyline, you may wish to read Messiah Complex before reading Second Coming)

Tim Drake - Red Robin: The Grail, Red Robin: The Collission, any trade from Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run

Iron Fist - Franction/Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist run (the first three trades), Iron Man 2.0: Palmer Addley is Dead (a couple issues deal with Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons)

LOL, thanks for the recommendations. The ComicBookMovie headline says "Alan Scott's weakness for wood becomes his lifestyle choice. Let the green flame and wood jokes begin".

Well that's just funny...

Yeah i don't get that ending of AvX. If it wasn't a 12 issue series i would have given up on it after this issue. Earth 2 wasn't anything special this week, just more orgin stories (Though i did LOL at them trying to plug Mister Terrific.). I just picked up most of Brubakers run of Captain America and will probably be getting into it this week. Probably going to look at Daredevil next. Maybe the Punisher.

Archived