Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

Batman just doesn't fit with the rest of the DC Universe which is chock-full of ridiculously powered heroes.

How many non powered/street level heroes or anti-heroes does Marvel have?

Daredevil, Shang Chi, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, Nick Fury, Sons of the Tiger, Elektra, Black Widow, Cap, Bucky, White Tiger, Punisher, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Nomad, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Union Jack, Black Knight, and Nightrasher.

For DC, I have Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, Guardian, Robin, Batgirl, Misfit, Lady Blackhawk, Arrowette, Speedy, Arsenal, Katana, Grifter, Wildcat, Gangbuster, The Question, Deadshot, Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger, Magog, Judomaster, Peacemaker, Phantom Lady, Blue Beetle II, Huntress, Mr Terrific, Gangbuster, Lady Blackhawk, and Rick Flagg.

All of those characters are human who use martial arts, devices, or a combination of both to fight crime. I also took out people like Ironman, Steel, War Machine, and Rocket Red who rely on suits for power. I could be missing some names, but at the moment that's all I could think of.

Both companies have a similar amount of street level characters. Sure you could name a bunch of low level Avengers and X-Men, but on the DC side you can also name a lot of low level Outsiders and Titans. The whole comparing and contrasting DC and Marvel is stupid. Both have ridiculously powered superheroes; the only difference is that DC's ridiculously powered superheroes are pushed more (due to Superfriends) while Marvel's aren't. Another difference is that the Justice League is always DC's most powerful team, while the Avengers aren't. The classic Defenders, a few X-Men lineups, a few Alpha Flight lineups, the Infinity Watch, the Annihilators, and the Starmasters were more powerful than most of the Avengers' lineups.

Feeling like reading some Batman. Beside The Killing Joke, what are the best Batman comics?

Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, The Red Hood, A Lonely Place of Dying, Death in the Family, Venom, Year One, Death and the Maidens, and the Man Who Laughs. If you don't mind 70s stuff I'd recommend Tales of the Demon and Strange Apparitions.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tons of people are pissed off that it's not Tim Drake on Tumblr :lol:

So tons of people are also pissed off that Mr. Freeze is slightly different now. For anyone that's read Batman Annual or doesn't want to...

Nora Fries is no longer Mr. Freeze's wife. She is a experiment from the 40s to be the first human preserved in cryogenics. She is actually named Nora Fields and was engaged to someone else. Mr. Freeze has never met her in real life.

Batman just doesn't fit with the rest of the DC Universe which is chock-full of ridiculously powered heroes.

How many non powered/street level heroes or anti-heroes does Marvel have?

Daredevil, Shang Chi, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, Nick Fury, Sons of the Tiger, Elektra, Black Widow, Cap, Bucky, White Tiger, Punisher, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Nomad, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Union Jack, Black Knight, and Nightrasher.

Don't forget Iron Fist

For DC, I have Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, Guardian, Robin, Batgirl, Misfit, Lady Blackhawk, Arrowette, Speedy, Arsenal, Katana, Grifter, Wildcat, Gangbuster, The Question, Deadshot, Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger, Magog, Judomaster, Peacemaker, Phantom Lady, Blue Beetle II, Huntress, Mr Terrific, Gangbuster, Lady Blackhawk, and Rick Flagg.

All of those characters are human who use martial arts, devices, or a combination of both to fight crime. I also took out people like Ironman, Steel, War Machine, and Rocket Red who rely on suits for power. I could be missing some names, but at the moment that's all I could think of.

Both companies have a similar amount of street level characters. Sure you could name a bunch of low level Avengers and X-Men, but on the DC side you can also name a lot of low level Outsiders and Titans. The whole comparing and contrasting DC and Marvel is stupid. Both have ridiculously powered superheroes; the only difference is that DC's ridiculously powered superheroes are pushed more (due to Superfriends) while Marvel's aren't.

Yeah that is the BIG thing, outside of the Batman related characters in that DC list, most of the rest of those characters are not very popular. Maybe some of them are, some of this could be my lack of interest in DC as a whole, but I get the idea that aside from Gotham characters up there, there isn't anyone else on that list that rivals Daredevil and Elektra or Fury and Punisher and some of the other Marvel, street level characters who are quite popular.

So I've just recently started to get into collecting comic's, I've always read some of them but now I'm buying them. The one's I have so far are,

Marvel:

Marvel Zombies, Vol 1(Read)

Marvel Zombies vs. Army Of Darkness(Read)

The List

Spider-Man: With Great Power..(Read).

Ultimate Spider-Man: The Clone Saga

Spider-Man: Reign

Secret Wars(The whole collection in one giant book!)

DC:

Batman: What Ever Happened To The Caped Crusader

Batman: Knightfall Parts 1,2, and 3

So what do you guys think about my collection so far? All of the comic's I listed are the collection's of that series. I don't really bother just getting a single comic I prefer to get the colletions so I can read the whole thing with no interuptions!

Also recommendations are welcome. I prefer Marvel comic's over DC unless it's Batman!

So I've just recently started to get into collecting comic's, I've always read some of them but now I'm buying them. The one's I have so far are,

Marvel:

The List

DC:

So what do you guys think about my collection so far? All of the comic's I listed are the collection's of that series. I don't really bother just getting a single comic I prefer to get the colletions so I can read the whole thing with no interuptions!

Also recommendations are welcome. I prefer Marvel comic's over DC unless it's Batman!

Shame. Because there are tons of stories that are better than some of Batmans/Don't have too much Batman. There are tons of recommendations in the past 2 pages because everyone has kept randomly asking but I'll add some new and recent things to the table:

Justice League: Rise of Arsenal

JLA: Tower of Babel (It's Batman's plans to take down the Justice League in action)

Batman Vol 1: Court of Owls

Batman and Robin Vol 1: Batman Reborn

All-Star Superman

Superman: Birthright [still the best Superman origin story to me.]

The Dark Knight Returns

The Death of Captain America

Captain America Reborn

Astonishing X-Men: Gifted

Astonished X-Men: Dangerous

Marvel:

The List

DC:

Well for Spider-Man, I'd start with the beginning from the Ultimate line because Bendis' writing is just great and for Amazing Spider-Man, if you want to read as little as possible then 'Big Time' and the start of Dan Slott's run. Earlier jumping points would be Brand New Day or even just reading Civil War.

While we're on the topic of Bendis/Spider-Man, are you reading Miles Morales' run? I've started the first 5 or so issues and I'm liking it. Is the rest important? Does he start fighting villains? I need to catch up so I can maximize my knowledge for Spider-Men.

Honestly, not too much has happened yet, really makes me wish Ultimate comics were bi-weekly instead of monthly. He's fought Electro once and beat a few punks but Ultimate Scorpion has been introduced. Not very scorpion like, he's kinda just like, a latin mobster... Still, it's interesting because of Miles' uncle. It's worth a read still.

Has there ever been any kind of Joker origin story told? Or is he just the completely nameless villain with an unknown past?

The Killing Joke is the definitive one, and then there's The Man Who Laughs.

Finished reading Hush last night, loved it. Now I'm just scrolling through the other arcs trying to decide which to read next. I'm interested by Dick Grayson, as Robin and Nightwing. Any Batman arcs really good with him playing a big part?

I haven't really read anything with him prominent that's not Teen Titans stuff. There was a new Teen Titans book from last summer called "The New Teen Titans: Games" or something like that. You can try that if you want.

That was my question pretty much. Is everything that's happens the last few decades out the window and were supposed to pretend it never happened? And if so, does that mean all the villains will be new too? I hope not, I can't see Batman without the Joker.

That was my question pretty much. Is everything that's happens the last few decades out the window and were supposed to pretend it never happened? And if so, does that mean all the villains will be new too? I hope not, I can't see Batman without the Joker.

The New 52 was a re-launch of 52 titles last summer retelling or changing history. The most used Fan Name of the Universe is DCnU (DC New Universe). Most stories are intact however, tons of shit was retconned. There are no villains that are gone or anything, it's just all the stories have been changed. Joker has been prominent in Detective Comics while Batman has battled a new organization of crime in the Batman book called The Court of Owls. Mr. Freeze was just introduced in Batman Annual #1 with a new story. Here are some examples of retcons or changes.

~ Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown were never Batgirls or Robins in this Universe. Instead, Barbara Gordon healed from getting shot by The Joker and once again became Batgirl--however she could get injured again at anytime as revealed in one of the issues.

~ Nightwing no longer has a blue logo. It is now red.

~ Harley Quin has left the Joker and has joined The Suicide Squad.

~ Superman has forever ditched the red underwear. His suit is more armorish and in Action Comics he wears jeans and a T-Shirt.

~ The whole history of the Amazons are different, and Wonder Woman now has a father.

Alex, you haven't read Battle for the Cowl? O.o You should look for that, Grenade. Dick does play a big part in it.

Yes, but that would be very confusing for him without reading Black Glove or RIP. I'm assuming he wants standalone books for now. Dick also plays a big part for almost a year as Batman but he said Nightwing so...

Archived