Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, I've been wanting to start reading more Batman comics and I read there has recently been a relaunch. I've read some of the graphics novels, but not much else, so it seems like a good time to start reading from a relaunch. What's the series like so far, is it (going to be) a good starting point?

Also, is there a website where I can subscribe to them and have them delivered to my house (UK), or will I just have to find a store that sells them?

Read Detective Comics, and Batman and Robin.

DC's website has a subscription service but I don't know about the UK. You can also buy them online. Both services are available at www.read.dccomics.com.

I've fallen behind on all my monthly issues. I'll get to them again soon.

Thanks guys, I didn't realise 4 different comics had been relaunched, I'm gonna read the first couple of each Batman series I missed somewhere online to decide which I prefer and then look around the shops to buy the actual comics. Who knows, I might end up wanting to start buying all of them :D

Thanks guys, I didn't realise 4 different comics had been relaunched, I'm gonna read the first couple of each Batman series I missed somewhere online to decide which I prefer and then look around the shops to buy the actual comics. Who knows, I might end up wanting to start buying all of them :D

There's way more that have Batman in it by the way, those are just which star Batman.

Has anybody read Lex Luthor: Man of Steel? It's a pretty damn awesome characterization of Luthor and I hope we get a similar Lex in the next Superman flick.

I haven't that, but the same guys also did a great Joker one-shot that's got a Joker in the same vein as The Dark Knight. Azzarello also wrote 100 Bullets and that's supposed to be a very good series.

Ive read just the Batman title so far and im really enjoying it. I have no idea about any of the other new comics other than Nightwing.

Batman is easily the best Bat title. I'd probably put Nightwing next with Batwing following it.

$100 from Midtown Comics. This thing is so big i could use it as a weapon if needed.

I think the 52 Omnibus is one of the biggest ripoffs I've seen.

I need to read more Batman. Any suggestions? So far I've read:

The Dark Knight Returns (liked the first chapter, hated everything up until Batman and Joker's confrontation, that was awesome)

A little bit of Year One (hated it, not reading the rest.)

Hush

The Killing Joke

The Long Halloween

All-Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder, vol. 1 (So bad it's good-tier, artwork is gorgeous though)

A Death in the Family

I'll be picking up Knightfall and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House... in about a week. Please don't suggest Frank Miller, I detest his stuff.

I own the film adaption of Year One and I love it. I've read the graphic novel and the film is much better.

Movie wise, I'd also suggest Under the Red Hood. I like it more than Year One.

Red Hood was better then Year One. And you really think the movie is better then the original comic?

I own the film adaption of Year One and I love it. I've read the graphic novel and the film is much better.

Red Hood was better then Year One. And you really think the movie is better then the original comic?

Yes, that's clearly what I said. It tells the story and being a film makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

Red Hood is amazing. My favourite Batman movie by far.

DC Comics is cancelling these comics after issue #8:

Blackhawks

Hawk and Dove

Men of War

Mister Terrific

OMAC

Static Shock

Six New DC Titles

-Batman Incorporated: Grant Morrison picks up where Batman Inc. left off.

-Earth 2: James Robinson revives The Justice Society

-Dial H for Hero: Writer China Miéville on Dial H, "The whole point of Dial is that the roster of capes is changing every single month, often two or three times. In the original run, he's turning into a giant spring coil to foil bank robbers, and I'm like, OK, what if you are a 25-year-old guy and you turn into a superpowered spring coil? That's going to mess with your head."

-G.I. Combat: Per USA Today, " The new series features the return of elements from the classic 1960s book The War That Time Forgot in a main story by writer J.T. Krul and artist Ariel Olivetti, with rotating backup stories featuring old standbys such as The Unknown Soldier by writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Dan Panosian as well as The Haunted Tank by Hellboy scribe John Arcudi and artist Scott Kolins."

-The Ravagers: Per USA Today, "The Ravagers spins out of the world created by Scott Lobdell in the pages of Teen Titans and Superboy, with a quartet of meta-human teens on the run from the nefarious organization N.O.W.H.E.R.E."

-Worlds' Finest: Writer Paul Levitz and artist George Perez follow Earth-2 Power Girl and Huntress, who are stranded in our world and hope to return to Earth-2.

Why are they cancelling Static Shock? That's odd.

Bexause I thought it was boring and not very good and I for one am thrilled that Batman Inc. is returning and none of it's continuity was erased

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House... is amazing. I love the artwork, especially for The Joker, and the backstory behind Amadeus Arkham.

Arkham Asylum: Madness, on the other hand, is absolutely *censored*ing awful.

Recently rented out Superman/Batman: Supergirl and Batman: Life After Death from the library a few weeks ago. I rather liked the Supergirl title. It was good to see Darkseid appear in it and actually do something.

As for Batman: Life After Death, my favourite character was most definitely the Riddler. I did find it to be a little lackluster in a few sections. But still, I found it to be a good read.

Archived