Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

Just read "Astonishing X-Men: Gifted". The first actual X-Men comic for me to read, and I really enjoyed it. I do have a question though. In part 6 page 8, I saw a guy that looked like Rorscharch. Is there a Marvel character that actually does look like him or was this a little cameo/easter egg?

I didn't notice this before but checked and it sure does look like Rorschach, which is funny. Probably just a little nod.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the guy in front of him that looks like he's wearing a race car suit form of Captain America's outfit? And the guy with the red star on his chest? Are they nods to anyone?

Does it really matter or...? You look way too into things.

I've started to read Civil War. Which is already great from what I've read (the prelude).

I've got several New 52 comics pre-ordered.

Justice League #1

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #1

Green Lantern #1

Batman #1

The Flash #1

What else should I get?

Here are some of my favorites.

- The Crow

- The Sandman: The Doll's House

- Batman: The Killing Joke

- Rurouni Kneshin (It's a Manga but Manga is the Japanese form of comics)

- Death: The High Cost of Living

- Sandman Mystery Theater (Has nothing to do with The Sandman)

- Any Deadpool comic is gold

- V for Vendetta

- Watchmen

- Spider - Man

- Beat Pulp

- Wraith

- The Crow

Not in my opinion. Deadpool's solo series has been extremely lacking. He's good in X-Force, though.

My DC Relaunch Pull List:

Action Comics

Batgirl

Batman

Batman and Robin

Batman: The Dark Knight

Catwoman

Deathstroke

Detective Comics

Green Arrow

Green Lantern

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Justice League

Justice League International

Nightwing

Red Hood and The Outlaws

Suicide Squad

Superman

Swamp Thing

Teen Titans

Wonder Woman

Alex, You should add the ones in italics to your list.

- The Crow

Not in my opinion. Deadpool's solo series has been extremely lacking. He's good in X-Force, though.

I have to agree.. The Hulk fight was fun, but Deadpoolmax has been much better as of late.

My DC Relaunch Pull List:

Action Comics

Batgirl

Batman

Batman and Robin

Batman: The Dark Knight

Catwoman

Deathstroke

Detective Comics

Green Arrow

Green Lantern

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Justice League

Justice League International

Nightwing

Red Hood and The Outlaws

Suicide Squad

Superman

Swamp Thing

Teen Titans

Wonder Woman

Alex, You should add the ones in italics to your list.

I'm thinking Wonder Woman or Batgirl. I had Nightwing in mind, but I'm not liking his red.

What do you think of Suicide Squad? I'm liking the concept.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/the-wheelchair-isnt-retconned-batgirl-1-6-page-preview/143522/

Looks like Killing Joke is still canon!

I kind of wanted to get into the New 52 but I don't really know where to start. I was thinking of picking up Action Comics, Justice League, Detective Comics, and then maybe Superman or one of the Batman ones. Not really sure where to go with Batman since they seem to have as many Batman books in circulation as Marvel does X-Men books, which is too many. >_>

Detective Comics and Batman are really all you need.

Batman is being written by Scott Snyder = Epicsauce. Ask anyone who's read the last few Detective Comics. Snyder created one of the best Batman villains in it...ever.

I'm getting my list, but I may add Static Shock and Batgirl to that list.

You really just need one series of each hero.

Now, as I posted the link, Barbara was shot by the Joker but her recovery time is three years. I'm hoping somehow she doubles as Oracle and Batgirl, but doesn't use the Oracle identity, if you know what I mean.

I'm really hoping Grant Morrison can take Superman into new heights (no pun intended) with his run on Action Comics.

I kind of wanted to get into the New 52 but I don't really know where to start. I was thinking of picking up Action Comics, Justice League, Detective Comics, and then maybe Superman or one of the Batman ones. Not really sure where to go with Batman since they seem to have as many Batman books in circulation as Marvel does X-Men books, which is too many. >_>

Why don't you just get them all? The price is nothing special. I'm going to get them all and try to keep up with the issues but now that I have gotten into the 100's of Amazing Spider-Man it will be quite hard.

Why don't you just get them all? The price is nothing special. I'm going to get them all and try to keep up with the issues but now that I have gotten into the 100's of Amazing Spider-Man it will be quite hard.

Let's do the math here. 50x3$=150 adding on Justice League and Action Comics as they are both 4$, that's 158$.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have that much money.

Nonetheless, I won't be getting Justice League til Friday. So I'm reading Heart of Hush (better than original Hush in my opinion) and Civil War until then.

Because I am not made of money, I buy more than just comics, and even if I was the richest man in the world, I don't want to pay for something I might potentially not enjoy.

Did anyone think Justice League #1 was good besides PMB? I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm hearing bad reviews. Also, they're rating it down because the whole team isn't in the first comic. To say that is kind of silly, to be honest. To me, they're practically building up the team (just a guess) by making them join forces to fight a common threat like in most other Justice League origin stories.

I thought it was good. It's really not bad but it's not overly impressive either. I haven't read much DC stuff that isn't Batman so I didn't really know what to expect nor did I have anything to complain about. It seemed like a solid first issue that could be really good when things pick up. I like the premise of superheroes not really being highly known to the public yet and how it looks like the heroes will have trouble getting along and learning to trust and depend on each other early on.

Justice League Dark should be a good series. Peter Milligan has been hit and miss with some titles, but he's always been a hit with characters from the Vertigo universe.

Scott Snyder's Detective Comics run was a highlight of the past year. There's no reason to think it won't continue with him taking over Batman.

The original Justice League International with Giffen/DeMatteis was classic. The only problem was at times there wasn't enough action. I believe Dan Jurgens will find a proper median between both humor and action.

Paul Cornell is a great writer. A covert team with Martian Manhunter and a violent, homosexual couple who are pastiches of Superman and Batman sounds interesting. Stormwatch could be the best title from the new 52.

If you like Spider-Man you should like Static Shock. A young wise-cracking superhero must juggle his personal life with his superhero life.

Those are titles you could possibly like. As for my opinions on others:

Action Comics: I'm not sure about the "working class hero" angle Morrison is working. I guess they'll also finally make him a vegan. I don't like some of the concepts, but it seems like Morrison can do no wrong.

Red Hood/Superboy/Teen Titans: It's been since '96ish since Scott Lobdell wrote anything that was good. While he's proven than he can write teens well with Generation X, that was from around '95ish to '97ish.

Frankenstein: As I've said before, Paul Cornell is a fantastic writer. It really depends on if you want to read a title about a black ops team with monsters.

Swamp Thing/Animal Man: Jeff Lemire is a good writer. By all accounts both titles should be good, it depends on if you want to read the series.

Superman: I liked George Perez' late 80s-early 90s run on Wonder Woman. The problem with Perez is that he's never written anything else.

Catwoman/Black Bat: Some people like Judd Winnick, some people don't. Winnick wrote the best "bad" Jason Todd, so it's a shame he's not writing Red Hood and the Outsiders. Black Bat as Africa's Batman doesn't sound interesting to me. Catwoman could be intriguing.

Legion of Super-Heroes/Legion Lost: LoSH is a lot like the X-Men. It's a series with decades of continuity. The current writer of LoSH is Paul Levitz; the same guy who was the Claremont of the LoSH from the mid to late 70s to the late 80s. I don't expect this title to be reader friendly. Legion Lost is questionable.

Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps/New Guardians/Red Lantern Corps: GL, GLC, and New Guardians have writers who wrote the previous ongoings, there's little reason to believe the quality will change. RLC is a question mark. Milligan as I've said previously is hot and cold.

Hawkman/Detective Comics/Dark Knight/Nightwing/Deathstroke/Batgirl/Batwoman: Tony Daniel was average on Batman; I imagine the same from his stints on Hawkman and DC. The previous Dark Knight was unspectacular. Higgins co-wrote Gates of Gotham with Snyder. It's a great mini-series. The problem is that he co-wrote the series, so I'm not sure how to gauge how good a writer he actually is to decide whether Nightwing and Deathstroke should be must-buys. Batgirl could be a must read depending on your views of Barbara Gordon becoming Batgirl again. Batwoman is an interesting character who I thought had a great run in Detective Comics. The problem is that the writer is gone. The title should still have the best art of all the 52 titles.

Aquaman: It's Aquaman, so there's always going to be detractors. Can Johns pull a rabbit out of his ass? The biggest problem I see is Johns trying to make him out to be such a badass that it feels very forced.

Wonder Woman: Azarello hates superheros and can't write them. This won't be a traditional superhero comics, but still the writer can't write superheroes. This could be great or fail miserably.

Birds of Prey/Suicide Squad: Birds of Prey has been an interesting title though it's history. Not completely sold on the writer or the team. Suicide Squad is the spiritual successor to both the original Suicide Squad and Secret Six. Both titles were very good. Everything I've heard and seen about this current Suicide Squad makes it sound awful.

Flash/Firestorm/: Both have artists turned writers (though I think Simone is scripting one of them). I don't have a lot of hopes for either.

Mr Terrific/OMAC: Both should suck.

Whatever I've left out I'll blame on not knowing enough about the writers involved or the characters.

Did anyone think Justice League #1 was good besides PMB?

I thought it was average at best. I get that it was clearly a setup issue, so I won't judge the series on the first issue. I do, however, do not like Darkseid as the first villain.

I liked Justice League. But it's obvious what's going on in the next issue.

I'm reading Civil War right now and it's pretty epic in my opinion. I'm only probably going to read like 60 out of the 100 issues but it's pretty amazing.

Archived