Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

Under The Red Hood movie is completely different from the comic, and it really starts out with A Death in The Family, when Robin dies. Hush Beyond takes place in the future, and isn't tied/canon to the Under Hood/SrsHouse universes, so you can read them in totally mixed order.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under The Red Hood movie is completely different from the comic

I wouldn't say they're completely different.. They're both written by Judd Winnick and have the same overall story. The main difference is obviously the way Jason is brought back to life, and Ra's and Talia's involvement. Winnick originally wanted Jason to be brought back using the lazarus pit, but DC insisted on tying it into the Superboy Prime retcon punch. I personally prefer the way the story was told in the movie.

Crazy Moon, I'd start with Arkham Asylum. It's more essential than the other two, and is by far the best of the three.

Ok so I just finished Under the Hood, and despite the changed scenes and cameos thrown in, I really enjoyed the movie a lot more. It just made more sense to me. Did the Joker get killed by Jason? What did Mr. Freeze and Black Mask go off to do? Why weren't Nightwing and Onyx present in the last fight? Yes, I know Onyx was in a lot of pain, but she could have been shown to have, at the least followed, the two. Why were the Lazarus pits shown?

All in all, the comic was really good to read, but had I not watched the movie before reading this, it'd been so much better. Is it DC's fault for not letting Judd do exactly what he wanted? I was a bit peeved about Jason saying it doesn't matter how he came back. And one of my friends did complain about how Nightwing was doing a comedic relief role in the movie seeing as it contrasts with his comic self, but he was doing the same in the comic. Speaking of comedy, I did notice an ironic error from something said by Nightwing. When he starts talking about Bruce being a silent fighter, he mentioned that Batman never belittles his opponent, but if you go back a couple of pages to where the gang members are on the dock, Batman does exactly that by saying they were all too loud and stupid. :lol:

Ok so I just finished Under the Hood, and despite the changed scenes and cameos thrown in, I really enjoyed the movie a lot more. It just made more sense to me. Did the Joker get killed by Jason? What did Mr. Freeze and Black Mask go off to do? Why weren't Nightwing and Onyx present in the last fight? Yes, I know Onyx was in a lot of pain, but she could have been shown to have, at the least followed, the two. Why were the Lazarus pits shown?

All in all, the comic was really good to read, but had I not watched the movie before reading this, it'd been so much better. Is it DC's fault for not letting Judd do exactly what he wanted? I was a bit peeved about Jason saying it doesn't matter how he came back. And one of my friends did complain about how Nightwing was doing a comedic relief role in the movie seeing as it contrasts with his comic self, but he was doing the same in the comic. Speaking of comedy, I did notice an ironic error from something said by Nightwing. When he starts talking about Bruce being a silent fighter, he mentioned that Batman never belittles his opponent, but if you go back a couple of pages to where the gang members are on the dock, Batman does exactly that by saying they were all too loud and stupid. :lol:

You'd really need to read A Death In The Family to understand everything.

Hellboy: The Fury is very good. Just wanted to get that out there.

The entire Whedon/Cassady run of Astonishing X-Men made me fangasm in every way possible. I pretty much missed out on any comics in the 2000s so I've been playing catch-up now and I have been hearing of the greatness of Astonishing X-Men for quite some time and couldn't agree more after having read it. I loved every moment of it and it is easily one of, if not the absolute best story arc in the large history of the X-Men.

I thought Astonishing X-Men was one of the best runs in X-Men history, and better than Morrison's New X-Men. As someone who read X-Men comics from the early 90s to the late 90s, I didn't like New X-Men as an X-Men comic. Sure, fundamentally it was a great comic, however it didn't feel like the X-Men. Many of the characterizations were wrong and his stories fit the Doom Patrol more than the X-Men or were bullshit. He also came off as very pretentious in interviews.

While you didn't ask for X-Men suggestions, I'd suggest Mike Carey's X-Men/X-Men Legacy run and PAD's Madrox/X-Factor. Carey's X-Men run is a throwback to the 90s, though with better writing. It's Rogue-centric and at various times has had Magneto, Mystique,Sabretooth, Cannonball, and Cable on the team. He even did his own version of Age of Apocalypse (one of my favorite storylines ever). Madrox/X-Factor is different than most X-Men comics and most comics in general. Technically, I guess it would be considered superhero noir, but it's less noir and more the main character (Madrox) approaching the world as film noir.

You gota give Joss credit, he made Kitty a character you actually care about.

Chris Claremont's UXM? Alan Davis' Excalibur? Warren Ellis' Excalibur? Yeah, Astonishing X-Men was the only time that Kitty was an interesting character.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got pretty much everything people have recommended to me kept in mind and will get around to it all eventually. =P

I'm actually reading through New X-Men on the side of things so it will be interesting to see how it is. I reread lots of Uncanny X-Men recently to kind of stack it up to Astonishing X-Men and I actually think Astonishing X-Men is even better than I originally thought. I still have lots of catching up to do on X-Men comics though.

Grant Morrison is at least cool for this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0bMuvBME

CM Punk has been talking about a comic series called Criminal on twitter...any good?

I've heard it's pretty good but never read it myself.

I know they don't have a great Graphic Novel section but Borders is going out of business, 40% off Graphic Novels. Just picked up Year One for 9$.

Thanks for the heads up about Borders, I just went down there and picked up The Flash: Rebirth, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, New Krypton Vol. 2, and DC vs. Marvel

I recommend the last 10 issues or so (start with Hungry City) of Detective Comics. They're mindblowing and Scott Snyder is now one of my favorite writers. He introduces someone very close to Gordon, that turns out to be one of the best villains of all time.

Has anyone else been reading Mark Waid's Daredevil? It's really something. I haven't enjoyed Daredevil this much since Frank Miller was on it. Waid's story telling is on point as always, and Matt Murdock's POV is drawn beautifully.

Speaking of Mark Waid, I recommend Superman: Birthright. It's the best telling of Superman's origin, in my opinion.

I mostly only read Batman graphic novels but I've decided after watching my 8 disc blu ray collection of superman to start to read work based on superman. Which is the best story arc to go with as a starter?

I know the relaunch is coming around the corner but I'm looking for something with history

Superman: Birthright if you want a proper origin. It's *censored*ing amazing, I've just read it.

If you want an alternate version of an origin, do Speeding Bullets. It's if the Waynes found Kal-El instead of the Kent's, then Clark becomes Batman.

Then, once you're comfortable with Superman and his origins, you need to read The Death and Return of Superman. A timeless classic.

If you're good there, you can tune into the last 5 issues of Action Comics before the relaunch, just to see how powerful Doomsday can really be.

I'd also recommend Emperor Joker. Also Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Superman/Batman: Supergirl From Krypton although you can get the movie versions of those if you can't find them.

Just read "Astonishing X-Men: Gifted". The first actual X-Men comic for me to read, and I really enjoyed it. I do have a question though. In part 6 page 8, I saw a guy that looked like Rorscharch. Is there a Marvel character that actually does look like him or was this a little cameo/easter egg?

Archived