Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking for some Flash stories, some Wonder Woman stories and Spider-Man stories but I honestly have no idea where the hell to start.

For Wonder Woman, I'd suggest Greg Rucka's run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman#Collected_editions

Rucka's run is Down to Earth to Mission's End and Hiketeia, which isn't listed there. As a Batfan you could also try Paradise Lost by Phil Jimenez. It features a Wonder Woman and allies (Artemis, Donna Troy, Wonder Girl) team up with Batman and allies (Nightwing, Robin, Huntress) against Scarecrow, Joker, and Poison Ivy possessed by Greek gods.

As for Batman RIP, it's confusing the *censored* out of me. I'm the issue after the one where he becomes the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.

Did you read RIP before reading The Black Glove?

Oracle:The Cure is great.

I thought it was boring. I've never cared for the Calculator.

Oracle: The Cure's the special that was featured during Batman RIP, right? If so, it didn't really interest me either...

Meh, each to it's own. I like Babs alot, and no, it's featured in Battle for The Cowl.

I think for Marvel comics, I'm gonna read some Captain America.

Winter Soldier and Death of Captain America look great.

The new Ultimate Spider-Man is half black and half mexican, definitely groundbreaking there with a superhero that's been white for the last 50 years. Donald Glover's campaign to become the next Spider-Man inspired it too :lol:

spidey-blog480.jpg

In addition to possessing the proportionate strength, speed and self-doubt of a spider, the newest incarnation of Spider-Man has the uncommon power to bring some diversity to the superhero pantheon of Marvel Comics.

On Tuesday Marvel announced that issue No. 4 of its Ultimate Comics Fallout series, to be released on Wednesday, would establish a new alter ego for Spider-Man: Miles Morales, a teenager who is of black and Hispanic descent, and a rare person of color playing a major role in a mainstream publisher’s comics.

“There’s a lot going on in the world that just isn’t touched upon in mainstream superhero fiction,†Brian Michael Bendis, the author of Ultimate Comics Fallout, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “I thought this was a grand opportunity for us to open the doors a little bit.â€

Mr. Bendis, whose writing portfolio at Marvel also includes Daredevil, The Avengers and Ultimate Spider-Man, got to fulfill the desires of many a costumed villain when he killed off Peter Parker, Spidey’s previous secret identity, in the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man No. 160. (This isn’t the original, angst-ridden incarnation of Spider-Man that made his debut in 1962, but a version who lives in the Ultimate universe, a publishing line that Marvel created in 2000 for readers who had not kept up with its 50-plus years of superhero continuity.)

Mr. Bendis said he and his colleagues had discussed killing off Peter Parker for many months before doing the deed. “All we talked about was, if there’s someone else playing Spider-Man that isn’t Peter Parker, what do they bring to the table?†Mr. Bendis said. “What’s new that we’re going to learn, what’s that we’re going to see?â€

Then, as Mr. Bendis became more intrigued with the idea of creating a new identity for the character who would be from a minority background, he noticed an Internet campaign that was being waged by Donald Glover, the comedian and co-star of the NBC series “Community,†who was semi-seriously hoping to be considered for the lead role in the new “Spider-Man†movie.

“I’m a huge ‘Community’ fan,†Mr. Bendis said, “and I went: ‘Why couldn’t he be Peter Parker? He’d be a great Peter Parker.’ Then I realized I was working on that project already. And I realized we were doing the right thing.â€

Mr. Bendis said he had also taken a lesson from a black friend who told him that Spider-Man was the only superhero that other children would let him play when he was growing up. “You couldn’t see his skin color,†Mr. Bendis said the friend told him. “He was any of us, when he was in costume.â€

Though both Marvel and DC Comics, its chief rival, have featured black and minority superheroes over the years, Mr. Bendis said that changing the identity of Spider-Man, a central character in the Marvel mythology if not its single most recognizable property, was a watershed moment.

“Spider-Man is a jewel in the Marvel crown,†he said. “It’s just a different story.â€

Marvel said that the chronicles of Miles Morales and his new life as Spider-Man would continue in a new series, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, to be written by Mr. Bendis and released in September.

And while there is no such thing as permanent in comic books, Mr. Bendis said: “This is for the long term. My track record says that once I put my mind to it, I’ll hang in there.â€

However, I know that as soon as things get stale, they'll just revive Peter Parker again.

Looks like I'm not reading Ultimates. I can't stand anyone who's not Peter.

Then just read up to Death Of Spider-Man xD

Yeah, I meant after that, I read the first two issues of his death, the plot is okay, but I dislike the art style, seems to "animated" to me, if you know what I mean. I'm a more detailed kinda guy.

My buddy John Barker just got back from the San Diego comic con and he was on the panel for Arcana comics. His first graphic novel "The Dead Cell" was released last month, and I have to say it's very good. It's quite different from the norm, and you should check it out.

And since this is a wrestling site, he was Death Match wrestler, "Brandon Prophet", if you wanna see some of his matches.

I am personally a pretty big comic fan, I recommend reading the Flashpoint event going on right now for DC comics. Issue 4 of 5 came out a few days ago, Daredevil Vol. 3 issue 1 also was released last week.

Graphic novels is an easier way to start getting into comics though.

-Batman:The Long Halloween is one I highly recommend, along with the sequel Dark Victory.

-Daredevil:Born Again is a classic.

-Spider-Man:Kraven's Last Hunt is pretty good along with Death of the Stacys.

-The Preacher series by DC Vertigo is one of my favorites but, I must warn you it is pretty graphic.

-The Punisher is also starting a new volume soon with issue 1 coming out today. it's written by Greg Rucka who wrote Gotham central.

That's all I can think of for now.

I own it and it's amazing, if you're going to go for those alternate Superman stories, read "Speeding Bullet." It's about if Superman was Batman and Bruce was never born. It's pretty epic.

Cover:

9ZlsJ.jpg

Looks to me like a couple of those are incomplete story arcs.

A lot of them are. I have a lot of other ones and these complete those. It's also good if I ever want to finish these series, I'll have a head start. If I can buy a part of a series for this cheap, it makes it easier in the end when I need to pick up certain issues.

I spot what I think is a late volume 2 issue of Runaways.

Runaways is awesome. You should get into it from the beginning if possible.

You are correct.

I pick up comics at garage sales whenever I can, but they're generally more expensive than this, so I decided to not hold back. I pretty much picked it clean. I left behind a ton of generic comics that I had no interest in.

I have about 250 more comics somewhere in my room.

A lot of them are. I have a lot of other ones and these complete those. It's also good if I ever want to finish these series, I'll have a head start. If I can buy a part of a series for this cheap, it makes it easier in the end when I need to pick up certain issues.

You are correct.

I pick up comics at garage sales whenever I can, but they're generally more expensive than this, so I decided to not hold back. I pretty much picked it clean. I left behind a ton of generic comics that I had no interest in.

Garage Sales here *censored*ing sell antiques and wine glasses or kids toys and video games. NEVER (well, rarely) do I ever see comics... lucky you.

You are correct.

Garage Sales here *censored*ing sell antiques and wine glasses or kids toys and video games. NEVER (well, rarely) do I ever see comics... lucky bastard.

I went to a sale a couple of months ago where this guy had at least 500 comics ranging from Captain America to Silver Surfer to Green Arrow to X-Men. They were all in plastic sleeves and were a 50 cents each. I picked up a ton there. He even had the very first issue of Captain America. I was wearing my Captain America hat and the guy saw me browsing and said, "Did you find the Captain America?" That was the very next issue I saw and I immediately grabbed it.

I've been having good luck at sales recently.

Archived