Comic Discussion

Lunchbox

Ive been trying to get more and more into comics lately, so far the only thing i read was a few volumes of The Walking Dead series(Which are really awesome by the way.)

Today I picked up the Blackest Night graphic novel. I want to know if there is anything I should read before or just to accompany the series?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually thinking about making this topic, and then coincidentally Chips and I think Alex separately asked me if there was one. So this is definitely a great idea.

I'm not too knowledgeable about non-Batman DC comics so I can't help much with anything to read before Blackest Night, unfortunately.

Also just a random recommendation to throw out there, Runaways. I started reading this just a while ago after hearing about it for years and got quite addicted and ran through the first volume pretty quick. I don't want to give too much away but it's a pretty refreshing series. It never gets caught going into a cliche comic route and there probably hasn't been anything in decades (at least by Marvel) so refreshing that isn't a retelling of something already existing in the universe.

I have a few suggestions for some comics you could read;

- Old Man Wolverine, the series overall was quite good and kept me interested throughout the story.

- Deadpool comics, the stuff is amazing and I haven't not laughed at one comic so far.

- Blackest Night, even though your reading it the story arc was brilliant.

I was actually thinking about making this topic, and then coincidentally Chips and I think Alex separately asked me if there was one. So this is definitely a great idea.

I'm not too knowledgeable about non-Batman DC comics so I can't help much with anything to read before Blackest Night, unfortunately.

Also just a random recommendation to throw out there, Runaways. I started reading this just a while ago after hearing about it for years and got quite addicted and ran through the first volume pretty quick. I don't want to give too much away but it's a pretty refreshing series. It never gets caught going into a cliche comic route and there probably hasn't been anything in decades (at least by Marvel) so refreshing that isn't a retelling of something already existing in the universe.

Runaways is a great comic.

For some lesser known comics, The Sandman and The Boys are great comic series. For me though, Ultimate Marvel is great to follow and then I just read famous story arcs from Marvel.

When I was growing up, my stepbrother had a whole box of Ghost Rider comics, which were really interesting. I've also read a few Spider-Man, Spawn, Punisher and League of Extraordinary Gentleman comics. That's it really. I've never read too many different kinds.

Great idea for a thread, by the way. I might get more into comics.

I was going to make this topic yesterday but I thought it wouldn't be popular enough. I think it would be a great idea if we can all discuss whats going on in comics recently such as Detective and Action Comics (amazing storyline going on with Doomsday, Superman's family and Batman.)

I wouldn't mind starting off by sharing a few panels and pages (not the full comic, that's illegal.) from my favorite comic series to start off the discussion, but since I dont have them on the fly, I think I'll just say and my opinions on the DC reboot.

DC Reboot.

Starting Late August, they're cancelling all series and starting with 52 new #1s. I'm only going to talk about the Batman comics because I don't really have much interest in the other ones other than Suicide Squad which stars Harley Quinn, nonetheless, here's my two-cents. Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl, so where does that leave Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown? Out of the picture? They're great Batgirls, but I really think they need to come back somehow. I'm only just starting to get into Stephanie's comics but she seems like a wonderful character in my opinion. I think Damian Wayne (Bruce's son) is back as Robin which is okay with me, but I don't like the art style they're currently using with him, so if that comes back, then I don't think I will read much of it. What the hell were they thinking turning Nightwing red? Seriously? I loved his blue attire and I don't think I'll ever get used to the red they have on him. Red Hood and the Outlaws looks interesting, as well as Catwoman #1. I'm definitely picking up Detective Comics #1 as the cover is very cool. I hope DC knows what they are doing here, because it could mean major disappointment to fans, although it could be smart because their continuity is *censored*ed up as hell even with the Infinite Earths/Final Crisis etc storylines. Also, I'm unsure if DC Universe Online Legends is even getting cancelled or not, but the art in it is one of the most amazing drawn comics I've seen in quite some time.

For anyone wanting some recommendations on Batman stories, check out Batman Incorporated. You'll need to read the graphic novels Batman: RIP and Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne. There was one more before RIP I heard Grant Morrison wrote but the name doesn't come to mind. I'll be reading most of Morrison's Bat-run soon.

As for Marvel comics, I want to read some Spider-Man and Deadpool comics, I've been reading tons of Marvel Zombies lately which is pretty entertaining but I'm sort of burned out of them now. Apparently there's a new Spider-Man coming onto the scene soon so I want to read the issues where Peter dies. Which issues are these?

Also, is it true that Ultimate comics are sucking now? That's pretty much what I'm hearing and most people think Marvel should cancel the Ultimate series, nonetheless I want to get into Marvel more now. I'm thinking about reading X-Men: House of M and others.

Great 24-hour only sale going on at DCComics.com featuring the BEST of the best Superman tales, including Action Comics #1!

yAGQC.jpg

To buy them, goto http://read.dccomics.com !

Hope you guys get something worthwhile!

XD This is a big coincidence (Me and Dan were talking about it yesterday. Any ways I've just started reading comics starting with the Ultimate Spider-Man series. Just read the first 4 issues I think Dan was recommended by iSlash so Dan recommended me to it. My Dad has a ton of Hulk comics I just found out about yesterday as well but they all from the 60's to 80's.

Just updated my post with an epic Digital DC sale. I'm getting some of them comics, so don't waste your time, it only lasts for 24 Hours...

Also, does anyone here read Power Girl? It's amazing (the superheroine in my sig) and the stories are just great. The last one was probably for nerds and weirdos as it had a Power Girl convention with lots of cosplayers. The story was just great though, and the end was laughable. I think the alternate persona of Karen Starr is great for Power Girl but it just seems too much like Bruce Wayne.

One Batman story I liked was Batman: No Man's Land. It's definitely in my top 5. And while people may have said that Final Crisis was confusing, I loved every moment of it. Though you'd also have to read Crisis of Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis (and Countdown to Infinite Crisis), as well as Countdown to Final Crisis. All I know, is that when I read Final Crisis, I couldn't put it down. I had to re-read it. That's how awesome I found it to be.

As for the Power Girl comics, I haven't read them, as Borders hasn't got them in. But I have been reading the latest Spiderman comics. To see classic villains return, is great. You definitely gotta read the "Origin of the Species", "The Gauntlet" and "Grim Hunt". In those storylines, you see the return of Vulture (Vulture IV to be exact), Mysterio, Rhino (who came out of retirement), and a lot of his old enemies. And if you don't want to know what else happens...

Kraven the Hunter comes back from the dead.

Also, Doc Ock is also dead, but he's still living via his mechanical arms. And before he dies (he's still in the comics, don't worry Doc Ock fans), he adds more arms to his body.

Oh, and there's a new Hobgoblin. It's not Roderick Kingsley.

Like I said, I'm loving the current Spiderman storylines. He's also a member of the Fantastic Four (full time).

XD This is a big coincidence (Me and Dan were talking about it yesterday. Any ways I've just started reading comics starting with the Ultimate Spider-Man series. Just read the first 4 issues I think Dan was recommended by iSlash so Dan recommended me to it. My Dad has a ton of Hulk comics I just found out about yesterday as well but they all from the 60's to 80's.

I read an Ultimate Spiderman comic from the library one time. It involved Spidey getting in a relationship with Kitty Pryde, and a hunt from Deadpool and a heap of mutants who became mutants by will. Disappointed that Deadpool wasn't funny in the comic.

- Old Man Wolverine, the series overall was quite good and kept me interested throughout the story.

- Deadpool comics, the stuff is amazing and I haven't not laughed at one comic so far.

My friend actually picked up a Old Man Wolverine comic when we went, ill steal it from him when he is done. I read a few of the Batman graphic novels also, but it was so long ago i can't remember it. I believe it was the Dark Night Returns by Frank Miller. I really want to pick up Batman: Year One too but we don't have a comic shop here so i have to rely on Barnes and Noble until I can find one in my area.

As for Marvel comics, I want to read some Spider-Man and Deadpool comics, I've been reading tons of Marvel Zombies lately which is pretty entertaining but I'm sort of burned out of them now. Apparently there's a new Spider-Man coming onto the scene soon so I want to read the issues where Peter dies. Which issues are these?

Also, is it true that Ultimate comics are sucking now? That's pretty much what I'm hearing and most people think Marvel should cancel the Ultimate series, nonetheless I want to get into Marvel more now. I'm thinking about reading X-Men: House of M and others.

The New Spider-Man is for Ultimate Marvel and not the normal 616-continuity. It'll probably come out as a TPB eventually under 'Death Of Spider-Man' but if you're going to a comic book store, you'll find the issues labeled with it anyway.

And after Ultimatum, the Ultimate series took a big dip in quality in general. Ultimatum was just one big *censored* up. Ultimate Spider-Man is the only series that has stayed consistently good throughout. However, they're rebooting the Ultimate series in a way and the reboot starts next month I believe which will be great.

The Death Of Spider-Man arc goes from Ultimate Comics: Ultimate Spider-man #156-#160 but it goes along side Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates which was a mini-series.

I was really thinking of reading this. After your recommendation and other people talking about it I definitely will now.

I'm thinking about reading X-Men: House of M and others.

House of M is great.

"The Killing Joke" is a great read. Loved it.

Just quoting for truth.

Frank Miller's Daredevil Born Again is great, and I don't think too highly of Daredevil.

I haven't read Born Again yet but I read The Man Without Fear and loved it.

If we're going to post panels which is fine for reasons Alex stated, I'd ask that people put the panel in spoilers and describe the comic it's from out of spoiler.

On that note, from Frank Miller's Wolverine:

7jn1M.png

The one that comes before it I don't feel like posting, but leads into it so well and makes it seem even more badass.

What I love about comics, is that even though the picture is still, it leaves a motioned image in my mind, and the voices are however you want them to be.

Here's some pages from Batgirl I liked...in one way or another.

40849392.jpg

kkfip.jpg

I just think that getting rid of Stephanie in the reboot is a terrible decision.

Archived