Official Destination X PPV Discussion

Misatouki

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I like about the four way match is the unpredictability of who'll win. Even so, it still sucks no matter the outcome: if TNA stay true to the stipulation, they miss a chance of having any combination of three (of the four) awesome wrestlers on their roster. I'm pulling for Austin Aries to win, but I also want to see Low Ki back, and more of Shiima Xion on TV.

I think compared Low Ki, Austin Aries has a lot more to do in TNA. All he really did was that short stint in 2005 and the Austin Starr run as X Champ in 2007, but I can see Aries as a legitimate World Title contender. I'm not saying Low Ki isn't, but TNA has shown in the past that they're only interested in using him as a X Division/Tag Team level performer and Aries is a more complete package in my eyes.

With seven matches announced for the card and GenMe not in any of them, I assume they'll either face off against each other or in a tag team match against two mystery opponents. If not, it's still a very awesome looking card without them.

It'd be awesome to see Williams' mystery opponent be former one time X-Division Champion, Kurt Angle. :D

With seven matches announced for the card and GenMe not in any of them, I assume they'll either face off against each other or in a tag team match against two mystery opponents. If not, it's still a very awesome looking card without them.

It'd be awesome to see Williams' mystery opponent be former one time X-Division Champion, Kurt Angle. :D

I would almost be willing to bet money that the mystery opponent is Petey Williams. Ive watched his fb and hes said he wants to appear and has teased appearing and being such a huge part of the division,Cant see them not bringing him in. Im like 90% sure it will be petey.

As for Gen Me...they are great and they could put on a great show,but if they are not on it,with the card we already have,i wont complain. Maybe they will come out and complain they are not on the show and then two random old school x-division guys will come out to set up a match

If I could I would order this PPV in a heartbeat. It's nice to see TNA, well, not sucking. The only matches I see not living up to expectations are Kendrick vs. Abyss and Douglas William's open challenge.

Just by looking at the card, I think I'm going to love this PPV. Normally, TNA have 9 matches but only 7 for this one. This can mean one of a few things:

a) The matches will be longer than normal

b) Hogan and Bischoff will come out with Immortal and destroy everyone at the end which results in a huge brawl with the faces going over

c) There will be a promo at the end of the PPV thanking everybody and saying the X Division built the company.

Hopefully it's option a but you never know.

Thinking about it, some of the unused talent might come out and complain. Gen Me, Suicide, and the people who didn't get the chance to win contracts could come out then there's a gauntley/battle royal match.

Thats what ive been saying probably will happen with Gen me. They will complain about not being on the card(since their characters are heel and all about them) and two former x division guys(like sonjay dutt and someone else) will come out and it will be a tag match

GenMe are getting a match and they of course will also have mystery opponents.

Jeremy Buck posted the following on his Twitter:

“Generation me will still be wrestling at Destination X. We just have no clue who we’re wrestling. #Surprisesâ€

GenMe are getting a match and they of course will also have mystery opponents.

Jeremy Buck posted the following on his Twitter:

“Generation me will still be wrestling at Destination X. We just have no clue who we’re wrestling. #Surprisesâ€

Lol was just about to post this. Maybe Sonjay and Lethal? I really wanna see Sonjay come back for a apperance at least

While it'd be sweet to see Petey return, it'd be awesome if TJP debuted (not as Puma) against Douglas Williams at the PPV.

Id love that to,i just dont see it happening. Sad because TJP is one of the most underated talents on the indys today.

Something of importance here:

Brian Kendrick is among those hoping that the "X" in Impact Wrestling's X division won't soon stand for extinct.

Kendrick is well aware that the financial performance of Sunday's Destination X pay-per-view show will help determine whether the X division survives. Impact management is strongly considering eliminating the X division -- which was introduced to showcase high-flying cruiserweights -- and further increasing the focus upon its roster of heavyweights.

The final blow would likely come should Destination X attract a small pay-per-view audience.

"If this show draws noticeably better than other pay-per-views, it will be hard to dismiss those numbers," Kendrick said in a recent telephone interview. "Not to say they won't be dismissed, but it will be nice, solid evidence that people do care about the X division. They want exciting wrestling and fresh faces."

Kendrick, though, knows that the cards are stacked against the X division. First, all Impact pay-per-views have already proven a tough sell. Besides the lofty $34.99 price tag and Vince Russo's ill-conceived storylines, Impact struggles to entice buys because of the heavy emphasis placed on its weekly cable television show (9 p.m. Eastern, Thursdays, Spike TV).

Further damning Destination X: recent telecasts have placed greater weight on plots building to future pay-per-view shows. That's because some Impact officials believe the X Division is already hopeless. Destination X doesn't feature big-name Impact talent like Steve "Sting" Borden, Kurt Angle, Ric Flair or Jeff Jarrett to help attract orders.

"The downside is I'm in an X division title match on an X division pay-per-view but the focus the last few weeks is still on the heavyweight division," Kendrick said.

The fact that Kendrick will be challenging the 6-6, 350-pound Chris "Abyss" Parks reflects how much the X Division has lost its way.

The concept was introduced when Impact first debuted as TNA Wrestling in 2002. Named after the X Games, the X division was intended to become Impact's version of extreme sports. The bouts featured fast-paced, high-risk maneuvers that larger wrestlers can't execute.

The X division, though, was gradually downplayed. It failed to draw the younger audiences who fancied ESPN's X Games or garner enough support from the small niche of hardcore fans who had supported that style in other companies like Extreme Championship Wrestling or Ring of Honor.

Critics point to a lack of charisma and showmanship among many X division performers, especially in a wrestling culture programmed to believe that "bigger is better." But some of the problems also stemmed from Impact management failing to generate enticing storylines for cruiserweights who weren't already household names among grappling fans. Placing heavyweights in the mix whose style doesn't mesh has further diluted the X division.

WWE has long abandoned its attempts at running a lightweight division, instead folding smaller talent like Evan Bourne, Rey Mysterio Jr., Daniel Brian and Sin Cara into its main roster of heavyweights. The same happened to Kendrick during his four years (2005 to 2009) with that company.

"I think ultimately where the problem lies is that Vince (McMahon) wants to be a bodybuilder," said Kendrick, referring to WWE's chief executive officer. "Everybody in that company works under him. Many of the people from (Impact management) used to work for Vince or are in the same mold from being in (World Championship Wrestling). There are no (cruiserweights) like Rey Mysterio working in the front office. The same people remain in power and, unfortunately, things stay the same."

Kendrick, who made his Impact debut in January 2010, also admits he hasn't done enough on his end to help lift the X division from its doldrums. Kendrick hopes to prove his worth against Abyss while trying to save the X division from being exterminated.

"We've got a shot at the X Division breaking through," he said. "To be honest, it's not a full-fledged shot. But it is a shot."

Whether this be true or not (coming from Kendrick, it possibly could be), the fact is the X-Division segments on the show have not drawn. I hate to do this, but when looking at the quarter hour ratings from last week, the X-Division match of Low-Ki/Bentley/Yang (with the X-Division segments afterward) drew the lowest point of the whole show. Meaning while "everybody" says they're tuning in to watch "what got me into TNA in the first place", the highest segment was Sting vs. Steiner (what everybody loves to badmouth). In fact, all the X-Division matches have been the second-to or lowest quarters of the show. Not any of the matches for these few past weeks have drawn "high" numbers in terms of the other segments including "those old washed up guys that nobody likes anymore".

No, I haven't suddenly become a hater (I hate that word :shift: ) of the X-Division just because they don't draw well in comparison to others on the show (I unfortunately have encountered such idiots)... but the truth is, how can TNA take the fans seriously when they say "this is what TNA should have more often", when that doesn't show at all in the numbers. If the PPV numbers do draw way less than usual, I think we'll all be saying "Hello Xtreme Championship, goodbye X-Division".

Edit: You could blame management for "terrible decisions of how the X-Division has been run", but the numbers for that match are still there.

Guess the rumors were true to an extent about the X-Division being knocked off so to speak. I don't even think a spike in numbers at one ppv will help thou as it will not hold up every week on Impact afterwards... I am pretty sure this is the last hurrah for all these guys and the division in a whole

Whether this be true or not (coming from Kendrick, it possibly could be), the fact is the X-Division segments on the show have not drawn. I hate to do this, but when looking at the quarter hour ratings from last week, the X-Division match of Low-Ki/Bentley/Yang (with the X-Division segments afterward) drew the lowest point of the whole show. Meaning while "everybody" says they're tuning in to watch "what got me into TNA in the first place", the highest segment was Sting vs. Steiner (what everybody loves to badmouth). In fact, all the X-Division matches have been the second-to or lowest quarters of the show.

Which is a shame and I think actually proves the Bischoff point of the "10%ers". People come on here talking about wanting more wrestling, more focus on the X-Division. If TNA did this or did that maybe I'd watch again. Yet when TNA puts on great TV, puts a focus on the X-Divison. All those critics are nowhere's to be found. I talk about WWE and if you don't like the product they are putting on, don't watch and most of the time I don't. But same should be said about when a company does something right. If you want to support the X-Division here is your chance, if this PPV does horrible then its hard to blame TNA because they have given us an amazing lineup, possibly could be best PPV of the year and no one wants to put their money where they're mouth is.

TNA should have offered this PPV online in addition to PPV (if that's possible), mainly because i don't have cable (by choice, i watch all my TV online), so i couldn't support the show if i wanted to. I would probably order most of the PPVs if they were offered online.

Edit: Actually you can watch it online, guess i will buy it.

Archived