A Very Serous Topic...

Sam The Dude

My best friend's girlfriend texted me tonight. She told me something she hadn't even told my best friend yet. She has been a good friend of mine for about a year now, and I have always sort of been that shoulder she cries on, so I have heard alot of very sad stories. She suffers from depression. It's something she's struggled with since before we met. She also used to cut before we met, because she felt very lonely. Well, she has liked my best friend for over a year and would always tell me about how sad she wasn't that she wasn't with him, but then all of a sudden they started officially going out and she seemed so happy. We had a small falling out when this all went down, so I didn't know her emotions through this time. But then I get this text tonight talking about how she thinks she going insane. I just assumed it was sadness, but she seems to have lost grasp on what is reality and what is not real. She told me in detail about a hallucination of her seeing a cat, and her hearing noises, and that stuff blending into the real world. She told me she spent a long time on her stairs humming, contemplating insanity. She told me to tell her boyfriend, I did, and me and him have been discussing it. We feel this whole thing is way bigger than us. We've both been convincing her to tell her parents, but she won't budge. Her boyfriend has told me, he is thinking about telling her parents himself. We're both afraid about how she will react to that. She is now telling me how her boyfriend is mad at her about it, and that he thinks she's a psycho path, and that he's probably gonna break up with her. To me it sounds like bi-polar disorder. I just thought I would ask this question to the older members on here, cause this is sort of a problem that a couple of 15 year old kids can't handle.

Now it's possible that she's telling the truth, but I've known A LOT of teenagers (usually girls) to bullshit about things like that for attention. Some even went to the point of actually cutting themselves just so they could show it off and claim that they're so depressed.

I doubt she's asking for attention, seeing as I'm the only one she's told about her cutting and so far only me and her boyfriend know about this current situation. Don't picture some emo girl, she is very popular. She is in basketball and cheerleading, and most guys think she's really hot. I'm really one of the only people who know this side of her.

Sounds like shes high but i'd give it a while longer before doing anything. Since shes telling you she must really trust you, so I would try to be there for her. I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's always the ones who seem the happiest.

Tell her to embrace it in a positive way. If your mind works a certain way, you will only do damage by fighting it. I used to be real depressed all the time. Drank a lot of alcohol as well. Had tons of occasions where I legitimately lost my head...and not because I was drunk. Losing your mind is one of the most important things that any person can do. It allows you to rebuild it exactly how you want. Of course, she's probably too young to know how she wants her mind arranged...which leads to obvious problems. Generally speaking, I don't think a lot of people usually lose their minds until they're 20 or 30. In fact, most people never do. Real shame...

I'm one of the oldest members here. I'll give you my two cents.

We feel this whole thing is way bigger than us. We've both been convincing her to tell her parents, but she won't budge. Her boyfriend has told me, he is thinking about telling her parents himself.

He should. If you have texts from her about it, show them.

If she's faking it, she should catch hell from people about it. This isn't something cool to fake and (hopefully) her parents can curb that behavior. She should see some consequences from that. Not cool at all.

If she's not faking it, she needs professional help. You'd be doing her a huge favor by taking steps in that direction, even though she may not see it that way now. Today is the day you have a chance to save a life. Imagine if she goes off the deep end and kills herself, and ten years from now you're a parent yourself. You're all awash in the glow of being a new parent and how much overwhelming love you feel for your child. And then it hits you - you realize her parents felt the same way about her and they will never get to see her again ever. She's dead. And you could've prevented it. Is that something you want to wake up every day knowing? Is that something you want to be reminded of every time you look into your child's eyes and you're not quite sure what they're thinking?

Tell them.

This is all assuming that her parents are sensible, responsible adults. Not all parents are. If her parents aren't, I'd bring the issue up with a counselor or someone like that at school.

I'd add to what Sac just said, but it's just fine the way he said it.

This is serious enough, that even the "cool" thing to do in this case is to get her some professional help. Sometimes in the case of drug abuse or something, an intervention might be the right thing to do, but maybe not the "cool" thing to do (especially if they really aren't that bad). But with something like this, it's the right thing and the cool thing.

and... No offense to Gen as he's one of the more intelligent posters around CAWs. But don't listen to that abstract BS from him in this post. Get that girl some real help.

Also, I don't usually answer these "real life advice" threads, but much respect to you for asking advice about a real issue that someone you know needs help with. Upon reading the first two sentences of your post, I almost said screw this though, because I figured this would just about a dilemma over whether or not you should "hook up with your buddies' GF who might like you" or some other trivial bullshit that's only going to invite flames on a forum anyway. Fortunately though (unlike most of CAWS) that is not the case and you actually had a real issue to discuss.

Is she on any kind of antidepressants? Some do cause hallucination and contemplating suicide. They're horrible and do more harm then good.

Ain't that the truth. I hate being on them. I'm just as depressed on them, but I also need to take them to prevent my anxiety taking over. My mind is very unstable without the meds, so I guess the positives weigh out the negatives with that.

As for this young lady in the original post, I suggest getting her to speak to a psychologist. It kind of looks like bi-polar schizophrenia. She will be very dangerous to herself and others if she does not get the help she needs. It looks like you have a close bond with her and it seems she is very trusting of you. You should tell her to seek help before something very bad happens. You and her boyfriend need to really support her in these dark times. I know the feelings and emotional roller-coaster she is going through. One of my many mental illnesses is bi-polar. Depression also fits in with all of this. Knowing you have someone who supports you fully will help immensely. Don't give up on her and she won't give up on herself.

Not sure if the situation has been sorted out or not, but like mentioned, I think the only remedy you can find is by telling the girl's parents. If she is bullshitting, she we will look pretty retarded, but that is her own fault. Telling her parents is the best way she can get some real help.

Archived