Formula 1 Thread

Zander

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vitaly Petrov hits out at Renault, future with team in doubt

Vitaly Petrov's future at Renault has been thrown into doubt after the Russian driver launched an amazing outburst against the team this week, in the first public sign of friction between himself and team management.

On the back of an increasingly frustrating campaign, which has seen Renault score just six points since the German Grand Prix, Petrov has blamed a lack of development and strategy mistakes for its current plight.

In a lengthy interview with the Russia 2 television channel, Petrov said that although his contract prevents him from criticising his team, the current situation means he now has to speak out.

"Unfortunately I cannot say anything bad about the team, it says so in my contract," said Petrov. "But many things have already been written about [it] in the media.

"People say the team criticised the drivers. But excuse me; read my interviews, I haven't criticised the team despite what we have lost so many times. How much have we missed at pitstops? With strategy?

"We have lost positions in about 10 races or even more. Even without a fast car we could have gained good points, we could have finished with points if we had had a good strategy.

"But I couldn't say in interviews that we lost it with the pitstops, and I cannot talk about that now either. But I can't keep silent any more - it is over. I can't keep everything inside any more."

Petrov believes the Renault team started the season in a very good position, but says development was never able to match that of rival teams - which is why the outfit slipped back.

"At the beginning of the year, for the first five or six races, we looked really strong. We could not fight with Ferrari, Red Bull or McLaren, but we were quite close to Ferrari and much faster than Mercedes.

"It was very easy for us to pass from Q2 to Q3 using one set of tyres. We didn't even used all the potential or push 100 per cent to get into Q3 - in the first six races it was rather easy.

"But when the windtunnel developments came, the new parts, because of the front exhausts, they didn't work. We worked on the front wing, the rear wing, the diffusers, the floor - but whatever we changed it was useless.

"For about 10 races we didn't have anything, so in fact we have had the same car with which we started the season."

Petrov's amazing outburst has prompted question marks about his future at the team, as Renault continues to weigh up its driver options for 2012.

And although he has a deal in place for next year, he is aware that if the team does not want him to stay then there is nothing he can do to force them to keep him.

"Everything is clear: I have a contract," he said. "But as I have already said before, even world champion Kimi Raikkonen was asked to leave F1 for a certain sum of money. It's hard to do anything in this world if someone wants you to be removed."

I wonder what this will do with his status in the team. It shows that he cares about the team, but it won't make him popular with the team, because Petrov wasn't faultless himself in the last two seasons, even though he did impress at the start of this one.

With Kubica probably not coming back, it seems like Petrov is trying to become the leading driver of the team, in more ways than one.

Renault say the matter is finished. Rumours has it that Petrov and Grosjean will be starting the season for Renault. Kubica would return at some point in the second half of the season.

Apparently Ferrari are still interested in Kubica for 2013 and will offer him the chance to do a test program. His contract with Renault expires at the end of this season so he's free to talk to them.

Ideally he'd come back to renault next year, prove himself and then move to Ferrari. However Renault are rumoured to be unwilling to bring him back at all unless he commits to 2013.

The longer we wait for confirmation of Raikkonen to Williams the more i think it won't happen and they'll end up either keeping Barrichello or getting Sutil.

I hope if Texas is cancelled they bring back Turkey next year. Bernie says that will not happen but you can't really take his word for much.

I'd like as many races as possible so i hope Texas can get themselves sorted out, but it looks really unlikely.

We're getting into that depressing time of year when all the major motorsports seasons are finishing. Luckily i've found some full races from a few series that i haven't seen from this year on youtube. If i get bored or suffer racing withdrawal symptoms i can turn to that.

hoping DC will go to Sky too, but i don't think that'll happen.

Also Eddie Jordan, Can't leave Eddie Jordan.

hoping DC will go to Sky too, but i don't think that'll happen.

Also Eddie Jordan, Can't leave Eddie Jordan.

Kimi Raikkonen is confirmed to return next year with the Lotus F1 team, who are the current Renault team unless i'm mistaken.

So now they have Senna, Grosjean, Petrov and Kubica(Unlikely) battling over the second seat.

GO KIMI!!!

Just realised that Petrov already has a contract for 2012. As far as i know Kubica and Lotus Renault are finished anyway.

Good to have my 2 favourite drivers on the grid. Schumacher and Raikkonen. All we need is Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes to build race winning cars(i can dream).

The epitome of awesome is back on the grid. However, I expect this move to be made because Renault/Lotus need a lead driver, meaning that Kubica is not coming back. Ever. That is a bit of a downer, Kubica was a world champion in the making.

Dilemma for the 2nd spot though, Petrov showed some promise, but Senna and Grosjean deserve a shot as well. Especially Grosjean. Maybe at Williams (that would be something, Bruno Senna in a Williams-Renault).

I think Kubica will be back, just not with Lotus Renault. Next year as a free agent he'll probably get some tests in an older car with some teams like Ferrari apparently. If he has to sit out another year to fully recover but comes back with Ferrari i'd call that a result for him.

The thing is, the recovery process from a very complex injury can be very stressing. Recent comments from Renault seems to be hinting that Kubica lost motivation to come back. And even if he came back, he was out for 2 years with no training for at least 1 year. Panis broke his legs and never was the same again. Schumacher lost some raw speed after his leg break. It will be nothing less than a miracle if Kubica ever get back on his old level again.

If he comes back, it will probably be at Ferrari. Alonso is one of his best friends and Massa is shit. If it doesn't work, then the seat goes to Bianchi or Perez.

Archived