CONFIRMED!?? You CANNOT edit movesets on CAWs

McCHitman

I love the fact that most people have just over looked the fact that now THQ can take your money twice a year for 2 substandard releases :hqhq:

Plus people are all excited about paying for characters via DLC! which if 10yrs ago, would have been included for free and not given such an excuse that "they ran out of time to get everyone in the game"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the fact that most people have just over looked the fact that now THQ can take your money twice a year for 2 substandard releases :hqhq:

Plus people are all excited about paying for characters via DLC! which if 10yrs ago, would have been included for free and not given such an excuse that "they ran out of time to get everyone in the game"

But that's actually the reason

- In this day and age in this industry, you have a certain amount of time to get the game done

- building this game into what it is took a lot of work

- Guys who aren't in the game and being offered for DLC are being worked on as we speak

I get the skepticism and assumptions pre Tank and myself, but we've been here for over a year now and proven time and time again that we're here for you guys and want your feedback so we can improve and make our games better. We've also proven to be 100% honest with you guys, even if that means we can't say anything (that's honesty). We're consistently coming here and other places talking with all of you b/c we respect your opinions. Please respect us enough to know that we are who we say we are. Otherwise, we're going to continue going in circles because some of you just have this filter on that says everything we say is BS. I don't blame you for this thought process, but think about it a bit.

I'm on a CAWs message board talking to an individual about a game that is 9 days away from coming out. If I were a "THQ Stormtrooper," would I use that time to do this? Tank and I value this with you guys, and want to prove it to you. Let us. :)

Everyone that says the DLC should be free because games 10-15 years ago had extra characters for free need to realize that if there was DLC then you would have had to pay. The DLC is optional and no one from THQ is going to your house and putting a gun to your head and saying get it or else. If you want to buy it then buy it, if not then ok. They are a business and this is a business model that has proven to be very profitable for companies after a game launches. At the end of the day it is up to every person individually to make up their minds about buying the game and the DLC or not.

- In this day and age in this industry, you have a certain amount of time to get the game done

- Guys who aren't in the game and being offered for DLC are being worked on as we speak

I get the skepticism and assumptions pre Tank and myself, but we've been here for over a year now and proven time and time again that we're here for you guys and want your feedback so we can improve and make our games better. We've also proven to be 100% honest with you guys, even if that means we can't say anything (that's honesty). We're consistently coming here and other places talking with all of you b/c we respect your opinions. Please respect us enough to know that we are who we say we are. Otherwise, we're going to continue going in circles because some of you just have this filter on that says everything we say is BS. I don't blame you for this thought process, but think about it a bit.

I'm on a CAWs message board talking to an individual about a game that is 9 days away from coming out. If I were a "THQ Stormtrooper," would I use that time to do this? Tank and I value this with you guys, and want to prove it to you. Let us. :)

Okay, regarding All Stars, I'm aware that you personally and many of the SVR THQ team didn't directly work on this project, as you've mentioned elsewhere that research and feedback wasn't involved with All Stars.

So being a new game we can just hope and pray that it plays better than what it currently is being previewed as doing, as well as the fact that THQ have a fairly damaged reputation with the hardcore wrestling game fans in the last year.

Right, Okay... now I will agree that you & Tank have been very involved with people on the many forums, which does indeed look better for the development of next years SVR12. But that's the problem... next years SVR will be the make or break with this type of gaming community as the industry has changed & people aren't willing to spend in mass amounts on new games and especially on DLC.

Not that my advice will change anything for a coming game, but I'd highly suggest that things that were taken out (eg: movesets and CAW features) should be put back in best they can obviously consideration for licensing and such.

And ideas for DLC should be lesser amount of content, but a better quality. I liked the Nitro Arena, but didn't like the fact of paying for a second John Cena when the one in game wasn't half bad. FREE DLC is great... paying for it, well... not so much lol

That was my biggest problem with SVR last year and the same with All Stars this year. If you want a complete game roster, you'll end up having to shell out £15/$20 on DLC content 6 months afterwards regardless if you buy the game full price new... or cheap second hand. Either way, a game will cost more than what the initial price looks like. In a world that's rich with employment and money i'd not worry... but when I have to save to buy a cheeseburger, every penny counts.

YAWN. Funny how games have hardly went up in price at ALL in the past 20 years and yet have more content than ever--yet people still complain and complain. Man you would have hated paying $50 for Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Cant go through the game in a half hour, no multi player, no DLC, only like 10 characters. And don't even get me started on NES Pro Wrestling.

Games are an INCREDIBLE bargain these days given the amount of content you get. Yet some people want more and more. And I am thankful that the developers support the game afterward for those to CHOOSE to pay for additional DLC.

Okay, regarding All Stars, I'm aware that you personally and many of the SVR THQ team didn't directly work on this project, as you've mentioned elsewhere that research and feedback wasn't involved with All Stars.

So being a new game we can just hope and pray that it plays better than what it currently is being previewed as doing, as well as the fact that THQ have a fairly damaged reputation with the hardcore wrestling game fans in the last year.

Right, Okay... now I will agree that you & Tank have been very involved with people on the many forums, which does indeed look better for the development of next years SVR12. But that's the problem... next years SVR will be the make or break with this type of gaming community as the industry has changed & people aren't willing to spend in mass amounts on new games and especially on DLC.

Not that my advice will change anything for a coming game, but I'd highly suggest that things that were taken out (eg: movesets and CAW features) should be put back in best they can obviously consideration for licensing and such.

And ideas for DLC should be lesser amount of content, but a better quality. I liked the Nitro Arena, but didn't like the fact of paying for a second John Cena when the one in game wasn't half bad. FREE DLC is great... paying for it, well... not so much lol

That was my biggest problem with SVR last year and the same with All Stars this year. If you want a complete game roster, you'll end up having to shell out £15/$20 on DLC content 6 months afterwards regardless if you buy the game full price new... or cheap second hand. Either way, a game will cost more than what the initial price looks like. In a world that's rich with employment and money i'd not worry... but when I have to save to buy a cheeseburger, every penny counts.

Thanks for this, Petey, it's much appreciated. Totally get what you're saying. Your expectations of what we do are right because they are your opinion, and I do realize I'm talking to an individual. I apologize for looping you into a group and not listening to you personally. I'm not quite sure though about your comment that All Stars playing better than what is being previewed because everyone who has actually played the game is raving about it. You'll find out tomorrow, and when you do, don't hesitate in telling me your thoughts.

YAWN. Funny how games have hardly went up in price at ALL in the past 20 years and yet have more content than ever--yet people still complain and complain. Man you would have hated paying $50 for Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Cant go through the game in a half hour, no multi player, no DLC, only like 10 characters. And don't even get me started on NES Pro Wrestling.

Games are an INCREDIBLE bargain these days given the amount of content you get. Yet some people want more and more. And I am thankful that the developers support the game afterward for those to CHOOSE to pay for additional DLC.

Well, granted I do recall Donkey Kong costing me like £60 or probs about $100 back in the day.

But times have changed... you can't judge a game now to a game back then because everything has moved on from the technology to the production.

It's like saying you get more from a movie today then you would have done back in 1920 with a black and white picture with a piano soundtrack.

Everything is relevant. Even XBLA allows you to create your own games and publish them, and a lot of these indy games are reasonably good considering one or two people designed and made them.

And sure, i'll pay for DLC if one or two wrestlers never made the cut and are offered afterwards sure... But you can't have a game with 30 superstars and then offer 12 as DLC afterwards... before the time of DLC a company would have held off even making a game until it was all finalised.

That's the point i'm trying to make, and it's not just THQ... it seems a lot of companies have caught onto the fact that a game can be released half finished and patched 6 months after, as well as the fact that us Suckers will continue to pay for DLC content throughout the year.

Say 10yrs ago Mario Bro's came out, with only half the levels and no luigi. Then you had to pay again to get the rest of the game. Think about it....

Well, granted I do recall Donkey Kong costing me like £60 or probs about $100 back in the day.

But times have changed... you can't judge a game now to a game back then because everything has moved on from the technology to the production.

It's like saying you get more from a movie today then you would have done back in 1920 with a black and white picture with a piano soundtrack.

Everything is relevant. Even XBLA allows you to create your own games and publish them, and a lot of these indy games are reasonably good considering one or two people designed and made them.

And sure, i'll pay for DLC if one or two wrestlers never made the cut and are offered afterwards sure... But you can't have a game with 30 superstars and then offer 12 as DLC afterwards... before the time of DLC a company would have held off even making a game until it was all finalised.

That's the point i'm trying to make, and it's not just THQ... it seems a lot of companies have caught onto the fact that a game can be released half finished and patched 6 months after, as well as the fact that us Suckers will continue to pay for DLC content throughout the year.

Say 10yrs ago Mario Bro's came out, with only half the levels and no luigi. Then you had to pay again to get the rest of the game. Think about it....

It actually has nothing to do with that, Petey, and everything to do with planned quarterly releases from a corporate level. Every industry plans out what they are doing and puts money towards completion of products on time and on budget. That's the reality of any business that deals with consumer products.

well, from a corporate stand point I know your hands are tide. Afterall, the reality is your a man who likes wrestling who happened to get a job working with THQ who develops the WWE franchise. Which is actually kinda cool! and pays the bills.

I guess in the scheme of things you have about what... 9 months till SVR12? to change the opinions of die hard fans like me. It can be done... :nod:

Who knows, I may actually enjoy All Stars for the gameplay after I play this demo tomorrow.

well, from a corporate stand point I know your hands are tide. Afterall, the reality is your a man who likes wrestling who happened to get a job working with THQ who develops the WWE franchise. Which is actually kinda cool! and pays the bills.

I guess in the scheme of things you have about what... 9 months till SVR12? to change the opinions of die hard fans like me. It can be done... :nod:

Who knows, I may actually enjoy All Stars for the gameplay after I play this demo tomorrow.

That's the goal (w/ SvR) :)

All I have for THQ is...

thqfaith.png

You should too

(notice the armband :hqhq:)

I hate to sound like a huge apologist to the video game industry, but the whole DLC model has come about mostly out of necessity. Games cost way more to produce nowadays than they did 10, 15, or 20 years ago. There's so much more that goes into game production now that wasn't even technically feasible back then--and on top of that, you have the whole used games market. We all want bigger and better games, but companies can't produce them if they're not making a sizable profit. Rather than charging $70-$80 dollars for a game (like they did for many SNES games) the companies are finding ways to make more profit out of their investments.

You complain about the extra DLC characters, but Marcus has outright said that we wouldn't get them at all otherwise. Games from 10+ years ago didn't have 60-70 characters on the regular. Wrestlemania The Arcade Game, which so many people compare All-Stars to, only had 8 characters.

There's pluses and minuses to all this--I think SVR 2011 had a pretty fair deal for DLC, it was about $10 for everything. On the other side of the coin you have games like Fallout New Vegas that ship almost completely broken and unplayable and need to be patched--and then they bring out DLC on top of it.

I can totally understand and can relate to not wanting to part with all your cash, but I don't think this business model is going away anytime soon.

Games are an INCREDIBLE bargain these days given the amount of content you get.

That is an extreme overstatement. In the least.

All I have for THQ is...

thqfaith.png

You should too

(notice the armband :hqhq:)

Man, faith makes people do crazy things. Just look at the crusades.

Just sayin'.

Wow, some of you guys should learn about inflation before saying the prices didn't change.

Paying $70 back in 1993 for a Super NES game is now $107.

If the years are reversed, a $60 game today would've been $45 back in '93.

Source: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ , have fun and plug in some prices from different years.

As for DLC, I only approve of DLC when it ADDS to the game, I don't appreciate the other kinda DLC, being Disc-Locked-Content, which many companies have been doing.

Wow, some of you guys should learn about inflation before saying the prices didn't change.

Paying $70 back in 1993 for a Super NES game is now $107.

If the years are reversed, a $60 game today would've been $45 back in '93.

Source: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ , have fun and plug in some prices from different years.

As for DLC, I only approve of DLC when it ADDS to the game, I don't appreciate the other kinda DLC, being Disc-Locked-Content, which many companies have been doing.

Not to mention that fact that after 2 or 3 months, the price of a new game drops significantly now. I remember SNES games that were years old still being sold at $69.99.

Regarding this whole DLC issue and how companies charge us for stuff that would have been free back in the day, let's see it this way:

- Today's technology allows for companies to add stuff to their already finished and sold games via downloadable content.

- Companies would work on a game and after reaching some point they'd say "the game is done", but later on, opportunities surface for the company in which they can add more to the game and thus gain more profit as they charge for such content but at the same time they please fans who are willing to pay for that.

- Why would they charge us? Cause they are profit organizations which make games to sell them for profit. Also mind that they worked hard to provide such DLC.

Anyway, back OT. I don't see it being a big issue not having the ability to customize movesets. Although, some wrestlers seem to have moves that they never used ( Sheamus for example using an RKO ) but I'm optimistic about wrestlers having accurate movesets and thus eliminating the need of editing them.

This statement is so wrong. In an issue of EGM a few months back they chronicled the inflation of video games and showed just how much you would pay for an Atari 2600 in todays economy and it was sorta insane. I'm at work right now, but I'll find the article when I get home and hopefully get to post those figures.

Nothing wrong with DLC in my eyes as long as it's priced reasonably well. Horse armour and COD map packs for example.

I think the reason why there is a lot of hatred for DLC is the feeling that some companies purposefully pull content from their games to sell as DLC later. We're talking Assassin's Creed and other games like that. Games that tend to have everything planned out already and aren't ever changing things like sports games rosters.

I can imagine a wrestling game works something like this.

They go back and forth with WWE & THQ to negotiate a budget and the licenses for the workers they want which could go on and on and on..

As this can go on and on they will already have started the main game/arenas/menus match types coding etc. Creating the wrestlers as and when they get the thumbs up. So that will be why people can be in the game because they were agreed on early, butthen pulled out later because they're jumping to TNA or they punch Vince backstage and get black listed. And why some fail to make it because they were just never agreed upon in the time frame needed to do everything to get them in and because time was 'wasted' in a way on the pulled people.

At some point though they find they can now also have 'Honky Tonk Man' and a bunch of other people but as it's not part of the original agreed budget (planned so what they pay out covers what they expect to get back), they have to put down extra money to get these.

Even though they're then being developed next to the full game and can be completely playable before the release date ... they can't just be thrown into the mix and included on the disc because they're then down that extra money they paid.

Archived