A call back to No Mercy

KaiporaGaibora

Some are saying that All-Stars is a call back to the days (more specifically the gameplay) of No Mercy. I haven't played it yet so I can't comment on that, but it does bring to mind something I've said for a long time: I would trade all the highly detailed graphics of SVR for full customization. I wouldn't want highly exaggerated body types ala All-Stars, but I would go for something less detailed if it meant full customization of all superstar attires and maybe arenas. What do you all think?

Don't know how many heard about the Smackdown vs Raw online the game that THQ called back but i guess it was supposed to be alot about customizing, like arenas and superstars and buying new accessories so maybe it'll be included in the next game. Sorry if that's off topic, I was more so referring to the full customizing more so then 2012.

The AKI engine is by far my favorite wrestling game engine of all time.

Games like No Mercy, WM 2000, and Revenge are STILL funner than any modern day game, as far as just the gameplay goes.

Ah, the good old days..

I agree. Though SVR is far more advanced in some aspects, it's never had the strategy that those games did back in the day. And since there's no more competing titles (like DOR), SVR is what we're stuck with.

The AKI engine is by far my favorite wrestling game engine of all time.

Games like No Mercy, WM 2000, and Revenge are STILL funner than any modern day game, as far as just the gameplay goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcigoGshcA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmzV_wTj80

Ah, the good old days..

yeah i do agree... but i wouldn't want the entrances like no mercy which is how all-stars' entrances are... cut off at the ramp...i want full authenticity as well as aki-esque gameplay

If I remember right, it was only a memory space issue, not AKI being lazy. The N64 cartridges couldn't hold that much data.. WCW Revenge had full entrances where they walk all the way to the ring, but they all had generic stock music. In No Mercy, they added each wrestler's actual theme, along with TitanTron vids. Not to mention other gameplay modes that they didn't have in Revenge (like the ladder match) so they had to cut the entrances short. I'm sure if they had more memory on the N64 cartridge, they would have included full intros.

If I remember right, it was only a memory space issue, not AKI being lazy. The N64 cartridges couldn't hold that much data.. WCW Revenge had full entrances where they walk all the way to the ring, but they all had generic stock music. In No Mercy, they added each wrestler's actual theme, along with TitanTron vids. Not to mention other gameplay modes that they didn't have in Revenge (like the ladder match) so they had to cut the entrances short. I'm sure if they had more memory on the N64 cartridge, they would have included full intros.

Wrestlemania 2000 had full entrances with music and titan trons (although those trons looked so bad they should have omitted them entirely). I'm sure the plan for No Mercy was to try and get them to actually play on the physical Tron instead of that full-screen, blown up pixel mess they had to resort to, but for whatever reason AKI couldn't tackle that technical hurdle in time. The trons wouldn't have looked so bad if they were just in the background, but the full-screen versions looked terrible, even back then.

Smackdown Here Comes The Pain had a nice compromise where the entrances were shortened just a bit, so for instance Triple H would jump from the stage to the ring apron and you'd get all his signature moments without having to watch a whole three minute entrance. That might be something the All-Stars developers could look to emulate for the series if it does in fact become a series.

I actually thought it was because they didn't loop the theme songs like they did In Wm2000. But nevertheless the gameplay was great in those days from wOrld tour all the way to no mercy. Good times

It's not us (THQ) being lazy as well. Given the time that it takes to make an entire entrance in these days of technology, simply not doable. The arcade feel of this game is all about quickness. Fast matches that you can play over and over again. All Stars gives you that.

I feel you on your desire to have legends w/ those long entrances. I'm a legends guy myself.

This game doesnt remind me of No Mercy at all, and thats not a bad thing. Every single year, we always compare the new wrestling games to No Mercy or the early SmackDown! games.

While it would be nice to have all the customization features from No Mercy or the SVRs in All Stars, customization wasnt really their main focus for this game, its the gameplay. We shouldnt really care that much about whether or not this game has a very limited CAW mode, theres always SVR for making CAWs or customizing superstars. Also I see people posting about the fact that the game doesnt look too realistic, with the over the top moves and the oversized models. Video games dont have to be realistic, all that really matters is whether or not its fun. <---That statement can be argued however...because I've seen posts with people who prefer realism over fun.

I feel you on your desire to have legends w/ those long entrances. I'm a legends guy myself.

Any chance of you pushing for an old school arena(s) in future games? I remember hearing that create an arena was something you guys had on the 'ideas board'.

Even if it's not a hugely vast mode... a very basic rope colour option (individual rope colours so we could do red white blue combo) and pre made ppv logo aprons would be a great start.

This game doesnt remind me of No Mercy at all, and thats not a bad thing. Every single year, we always compare the new wrestling games to No Mercy or the early SmackDown! games.

While it would be nice to have all the customization features from No Mercy or the SVRs in All Stars, customization wasn't really their main focus for this game, its the gameplay.

Bingo. Gameplay is key. For many of us, gameplay has never been as good as it was back in the No Mercy days and that's the biggest gripe. When I used to play all those N64 wrestling games with my brothers, they were intense matches. It was a lot of back and forth, but the countering system was solid. There wasn't running/grapple spam like there is today. One mistake could mean the difference between winning and losing a match and THAT was what was awesome about those games. The SVR engine today is so spam heavy and offensively weighted that it doesn't take much strategy and subsequently isn't very fun. It's advanced a lot with all the little things like hot spots and d-throws, but the core gameplay still has not reached No Mercy's level.

While it would be nice to have all the customization features from No Mercy or the SVRs in All Stars, customization wasn't really their main focus for this game, its the gameplay.

Bingo. Gameplay is key. For many of us, gameplay has never been as good as it was back in the No Mercy days and that's the biggest gripe. When I used to play all those N64 wrestling games with my brothers, they were intense matches. It was a lot of back and forth, but the countering system was solid. There wasn't running/grapple spam like there is today. One mistake could mean the difference between winning and losing a match and THAT was what was awesome about those games. The SVR engine today is so spam heavy and offensively weighted that it doesn't take much strategy and subsequently isn't very fun. It's advanced a lot with all the little things like hot spots and d-throws, but the core gameplay still has not reached No Mercy's level.

Yeah i def agree with you on that man, i mean even when my friends and i used to play the royal rumble, they'd always try to team against me and i'd end up winning by way of strategy.. although they did implement running grapples in nomercy, it wasn't as sloppy and spammed as svr and the A.I. was spot on... if you put the difficulty on Legend/hard on there, you're in for a good fight.. i kinda do wish we had the no mercy gameplay and ai engine and like you said, "lacertile", it was great and that one mistake could cost you the match... you could irishwip someone that has a special to the ropes, and they'd end up reversing you and if it was stonecold he could hit you with the stunner off the ropes and beat you lol those were the good ol' days

It's still quite amazing to me that we haven't had a wrestling game in america, for the current gen of systems that rivals past generations gameplay as far as the excitement that you get from matches.

I know and that baffles me. The Smackdown series was always more of the arcade-type game than a true simulation. Yes, SVR is certainly much closer to the actual WWE product that's on TV in terms of presentation, but at the cost of being fun. In trying to emulate the feel of real WWE, they are leaving behind the gameplay that made these WWE games great fun to play. I don't foresee that changing unless THQ loses the license or another developer makes a different wrestling game (but I think that's highly unlikely since wrestling has gone downhill in the last 10 years). However, I am interested to try out All-Stars to see if the gameplay is more true to the classics than SVR is.

Archived