The Walking Dead Discussion

Fuse

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we get FOX through pretty much all other providers (namely Sky and Virgin,) but for some stupid reason AMC thought it was a good idea to have FTWD exclusively on their new BT channel. BT isn't that popular so I have no idea what they were thinking. Perhaps they thought having a big named show might bring in some buyers, but I highly doubt anyone is gonna change providers for it.

Might change for season 2, who knows.

I was scrolling through Sky guide and channel 192 is "AMC from BT" and the channel starts on Friday, and Fear TWD ep1 is listed for next Monday at 9. So... Sky does get it? Anyone know if we have to pay extra for this channel or what? I already have the full TV package deal.

K looking at twitter it looks like you need the BT sports package. The one thing I don't bother with. lol

Yeah, they're all annoying to some degree, but I'm willing to hold off judgement for now.

My main issue was that most of it was just... bland. For a pilot, the whole thing was so underwhelming and flat. A lot of it was dull, two-shot/shot-reverse-shot talking scenes that lack any sort of directorial vision. I understand zombie action will be at a minimum for some time but you still gotta do more with the actual material that you're given (which admittedly is inferior to the TWD's pilot, narratively speaking). Watching this made me realize just how important Frank Darabont was to season 1 of TWD, and I feel it's shame that Fear was unable to obtain someone of his caliber to lay the series' foundation.

Although it's rough start, I'm still going to tune in.

Watched Fear last night. It was okay...but I really was hoping for more. I know they needed to set up the story and everything...but it felt like it dragged way too much. I'm sure most of (or all of) these characters are going to die soon anyway, so I don't know why they took so much time to establish them all. Pilot episode would have been better managed with five or ten minutes of normal life, and then an hour of chaos as the world fell apart...not an hour and a half of establishing the school staff and the druggy son, with about 5 minutes total of actual zombie action. Also, I think the actors they have might just be too average to make the direction work. Maybe an hour and a half of establishing the characters would have been alright...if they were better actors.

Watched Fear last night. It was okay...but I really was hoping for more. I know they needed to set up the story and everything...but it felt like it dragged way too much. I'm sure most of (or all of) these characters are going to die soon anyway, so I don't know why they took so much time to establish them all. Pilot episode would have been better managed with five or ten minutes of normal life, and then an hour of chaos as the world fell apart...not an hour and a half of establishing the school staff and the druggy son, with about 5 minutes total of actual zombie action. Also, I think the actors they have might just be too average to make the direction work. Maybe an hour and a half of establishing the characters would have been alright...if they were better actors.

Because they're not all going to die soon, obviously. I can see the daughter dying and possible Travis' ex-wife/son, but as for Maddison and Nick and Travis himself? No. They're sticking around.

The pilot was fine and well done, but it did lack something. There was no big 'water cooler' moment, but it set the characters up. My only gripe with the characters is why them? Why should we be caring about some random family in LA? What makes them special? I guess we'll be learning what makes them special as we go forward, but as of right now none of them show any discernible skills to survive the impending apocalypse.

Also was anyone really expecting any big zombie action? If you knew anything about this series going into it then you knew that they were going to be building up to the shit hitting the fan with small events and clues. Seems like people were expecting a bit too much if they thought we were gonna get a lot of zombie action in the pilot. That'll happen in the future.

The show needed a hook, and it just...didn't have it. So, yeah...I was expecting the city to actually fall in the first episode, and it just didn't happen. I guess the city won't completely fall until the end of the season. Seems like they're going a lot slower with the actual breakdown of things than I assumed they would. And I just don't think I'm a fan of that.

I like the concept of the virus coming in the form of a botched drug. I like the drug den being the ground zero for it. But even that, I thought could have been done better. Could have lingered there longer...instead of the kid running into traffic, he could have got lost in the dark halls of the building and tweaked for like 4 or 5 days before being found. The first half of the episode could have been the sheer terror of fending off zombies while under the influence of whatever drug he was meant to be on (heroin I guess).

Just seemed like the pilot set up some potential turns, and then went in less a compelling direction. Just way too much teen drama type stuff...high school, relationships, daddy issues. If they're done with all of that shit, then yeah...the show could get better. But I have my doubts. And...the acting. Everyone seemed very nonchalant about killing that black kid. Like..."Oh well, I guess he's dead. There's a mystery afoot."

The show needed a hook, and it just...didn't have it. So, yeah...I was expecting the city to actually fall in the first episode, and it just didn't happen. I guess the city won't completely fall until the end of the season. Seems like they're going a lot slower with the actual breakdown of things than I assumed they would. And I just don't think I'm a fan of that.

I like the concept of the virus coming in the form of a botched drug. I like the drug den being the ground zero for it. But even that, I thought could have been done better. Could have lingered there longer...instead of the kid running into traffic, he could have got lost in the dark halls of the building and tweaked for like 4 or 5 days before being found. The first half of the episode could have been the sheer terror of fending off zombies while under the influence of whatever drug he was meant to be on (heroin I guess).

Just seemed like the pilot set up some potential turns, and then went in less a compelling direction. Just way too much teen drama type stuff...high school, relationships, daddy issues. If they're done with all of that shit, then yeah...the show could get better. But I have my doubts. And...the acting. Everyone seemed very nonchalant about killing that black kid. Like..."Oh well, I guess he's dead. There's a mystery afoot."

I don't think thats what happened. It was said in the episode that there had been reports from several states. The virus didn't come from a botched a drug I think the girl either died of a random botch in the drug and turned or just OD'd, died and then turned. Although she seemed to be ground zero for the LA area.

Because they're not all going to die soon, obviously. I can see the daughter dying and possible Travis' ex-wife/son, but as for Maddison and Nick and Travis himself? No. They're sticking around.

The pilot was fine and well done, but it did lack something. There was no big 'water cooler' moment, but it set the characters up. My only gripe with the characters is why them? Why should we be caring about some random family in LA? What makes them special? I guess we'll be learning what makes them special as we go forward, but as of right now none of them show any discernible skills to survive the impending apocalypse.

Also was anyone really expecting any big zombie action? If you knew anything about this series going into it then you knew that they were going to be building up to the shit hitting the fan with small events and clues. Seems like people were expecting a bit too much if they thought we were gonna get a lot of zombie action in the pilot. That'll happen in the future.

I think the series' aim is to show how a dysfunctional family may be able to survive a zombie apocalypse. That's probably the reason they put so much emphasis and time on their problems. It's not the most unique thing, but it's something to grab onto, I guess. Like I stated earlier, narratively, the show already has the cards stacked against them. The scenario they have so far just isn't as compelling when you compare it to the TWD's pilot, which IMO had a much better scenario: waking up in the middle of the apocalypse all alone, oblivious to what the hell happened and having no clue if your family is still alive. To me, that's more captivating than what we got with Fear.

Then you mixed that with weak direction (which really is my main issue -- a better director could have taken this material and done so much more) you get so-so results.

That said, I still think the slow burn approach is intriguing; I like that we get to see society unravel before our eyes. But as a single episode, which is all we can base our comments on right now, it sure makes a far less compelling piece of television. I hope by the season's end, taken as a whole, it all will work out, though. We shall see...

I just don't understand why people thought we were gonna get a full on zombie invasion in the pilot episode.

Because it's a show about zombies. Fear was just supposed to show you how the breakout started...that doesn't mean that it needs to be a piss trickle. I thought everything was going to go to shit. I still say that it should have. For that matter, I kinda thought Fear was going to be even more hectic than the original Walking Dead...because shit is just going down...as opposed to the remnants of humanity struggling to hang on.

Archived