The Walking Dead Discussion

Fuse

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I say, without getting too much heat, that I think The Walking Dead is over-rated. I did watch the first season, well only half anyway, and I just didn't like it.

It kinda bugs me that SpikeTV gave The Walking Dead: The Game, GOTY *Shrugs*

I recently went back and watched all of season 1 and most of season 2. I was a little shocked to see that the characters were really different. It's been so long, that I actually forgot how much the characters really developed. Their acting skills got a lot better too. You really have to watch a lot more of it to say it's overrated. Maybe uninteresting is the word for you, but the magnitude of being overrated has to be judged with a more thorough viewing.

You're right, that is true. I guess I've never really been a big fan of watching Zombies movies or TV shows, now video games are another story, I like zombie games like Dead island, Dead Rising 2, Lollipop Chainsaw and I've even started liking Zombies Mode on Black Ops 2.

With that being said, I just couldn't enjoy The Walking Dead game because I couldn't get into the show.

It's a great story telling game. It's a hybrid of classic point and click and action. The best part about the game is every decision you make leads you to something that feels different. And the little girl you care for (Clementine), you genuinely want to care for her and make sure nothing hurts her. It's not like any typical game. Definitely one of the better games on arcade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not everyone reads the source material. Put comic spoilers in tags and mark them in future.

Which is sad, and one of the reasons the adaptations are so dumbed down and pussified is because people refuse to read the source material. They didn't need to do that with 300, Sin City and to a point Watchmen. But, it is what it is, band wagons get full for a reason, and people tend to NEVER respect the source and the fans that made the books popular in the first place.

Oh stop. No one needs to read any source material to enjoy anything. Like you've all been saying, the show is quite different than the comics. If people are interested in reading the comics after watching the show, or vice-versa, so be it. But no one should depend on them being exactly the same. That would be god awful. Why anyone would want IDENTICAL adaptations is beyond me. I was thinking about this while watching Batman Returns earlier. So what if the visual doesn't match the text exactly? it's not the director/producer's responsibility to translate. It's their own story. Let them do whatever they want to do, especially if the flippin' writer of the comics is working on the show.

No one NEEDS to do anything. People who think they're 'better' fans because they're familiar with more facets of the scene are ridiculous. There's no such thing as a 'better' fan. Different people like different things. I swear, internet discussion threads just create the most outlandish personalities in people, being so disconnected from reality. If you want to sit on some made-up throne and feel like you're a better Walking Dead fan because you've read issues 1 through whatever in the comics and you have opinions about how the show is made, then have fun with your consistent disappointment. Especially because they will NEVER treat the show as a performance of the comics. The TV show is no stage to the screenplay of the comics. No one owes you any accurate performances. They write the show with the comics in mind, but they know and acknowledge and respect that there still is a huge demographic of people who have never read the comics. Just think about logically for a second. If you take a graphic novel and replicate it EXACTLY for TV, then who exactly benefits from that? Fans of the comics will have seen it before and,unless you're totally someone who enjoys the crap out of repetition, hate it even more. Also, the people who see the show will have no interest in reading the comics at all whatsoever. I know I only have interest in reading the comics BECAUSE I hear about how different they are. Why would I want a repeat, when I can enjoy something new?

Not everyone reads the source material. Put comic spoilers in tags and mark them in future.

Which is sad, and one of the reasons the adaptations are so dumbed down and pussified is because people refuse to read the source material. They didn't need to do that with 300, Sin City and to a point Watchmen. But, it is what it is, band wagons get full for a reason, and people tend to NEVER respect the source and the fans that made the books popular in the first place.

But...the creator said that he didn't want the show to be the same as the comic. The show isn't dumbed down...it's just different because that's what Kirkman wanted. If he had wanted a carbon copy like 300 or Watchmen, that's what he would have done. Also, Watchmen was altered from the source material anyway. The ending was changed. And there's certainly nothing "pussified" about the Walking Dead show. If anything, it's more brutal at times than the comic.

Archived