The Walking Dead Discussion

Fuse

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taker, you've already been warned for attacking RVF. Stop now before you get warned again.

I'm not attacking him. I was expressing my opinion. Its my opinion that his opinion sucks.

And RVF, I say it just because everytime I see you post in the topic, its complaining about the writing and I think the show has some of the most spectacular writing ever, and I was sick of seeing you complain. Theres no scholarly, "internet genius" explanation for it.

T-Dog was so irrelevant, they should've made more of an effort with him. Him dying meant nothing at all to me, yet Lori, who I really disliked (sidenote, LOL @ PMB's post) had me on the verge of tears, shockingly. T-Dog could've got killed two seasons ago and it'd mean the same as it did now.

At first, Lori's death didn't really affect me much since, like many of us, I couldn't stand the character, but once I'd seen how it was affecting Carl (the brief flashback and then him shooting his mom in the head to make sure she doesn't come back as a walker) and later Rick (his reaction to the news)... her death and what it meant began to tug the strings of my heart just a bit.

I think the show has some of the most spectacular writing ever

Really? You don't find think scenes where they talk drag, or that they let the entire second season drag with no suspense, or interesting developments. That characters are dull.

Spoilers...

I mean T-Dogg did nothing. Nothing for 2 seasons and that was shown that his death meant nothing. He was a complete after thought to a character that was unlikeable. And it isn't just me who finds a lot of the characters unlikeable by the way.

As for how they've written the two new ones. The Governor is at least interesting, but still had that really unbelievable scene where he killed the National Guard. Michonne is really boring. She has one emotion and is an idiot. You suspect someone is crazy and killed people. Why would you confront someone like that, unarmed, in a location secluded from everything else and basically tell him this? She had that cool introduction at the end of season 2, but they've not capitalised on that at all.

This season has at least kept me interested with some good action and has kept me guessing what will happen next.

I do find a good majority of the characters to be dull, and at many times contradicting themselves. Far from the best writing ever, though, that still didn't stop me from tearing up on the last episode (despite hating said character).

Am I the only one who accepts this show as more than just "that one zombie show"? if they go an entire episode without killing a walker, that won't take away from the episode if they dedicate that show to developing a character or story arch. I hear so many people complaining about how they didn't kill enough zombies, or that a certain character (who's written to make stupid decisions) makes people angry because they make stupid decisions. Let the show be more than just a zombie show.

• 2 weeks later...

Shit got intense in the last three episodes. I missed the two before last night, because I didn't have power for two weeks, but I caught up on them earlier in the day yesterday and then watched the new one at 9. Intense. More excited for next weeks episode than I have been for any episode in the series thus far.

Am I the only one who accepts this show as more than just "that one zombie show"? if they go an entire episode without killing a walker, that won't take away from the episode if they dedicate that show to developing a character or story arch. I hear so many people complaining about how they didn't kill enough zombies, or that a certain character (who's written to make stupid decisions) makes people angry because they make stupid decisions. Let the show be more than just a zombie show.

The show is definitely more than a zombie show. The comics were the same way. However, there are still boring episodes. For example, a few weeks ago, I thought the episode where they discovered Woodbury was a complete snoozer...but they made up for it with the episodes that followed. I don't need gratuitous zombie violence in every episode...but there are definitely episodes here and there, which lack the draw that other episodes have.

Didn't really enjoy last night's as much as the other ones from this season. The Andrea heavy episodes tend to just turn me off of the show. I think she's still a terribly written character, and still needs a reboot like everybody else got this season.

Her aside, I like where the show is heading after last night. It'll be cool to see the

different plots interfering now that Michonne is in the prison group, and Glenn and Maggie are in Woodbury.

Didn't really enjoy last night's as much as the other ones from this season. The Andrea heavy episodes tend to just turn me off of the show. I think she's still a terribly written character, and still needs a reboot like everybody else got this season.

Not a fan of Andrea myself. Not really the character, but the actress. I think she has an awkward acting style. She's certainly not a natural. In contrast, the actor who plays Rick is really quite impressive. It always blows me away when I see a British actor who can completely turn off their accent.

Side note: I like how no one gives a shit that T-Dog died, and we've already got a replacement token black guy. :lol:

Too many people are viewing this show as another "Case Of The Week" show, like a CSI or a Law & Order. This show was never written as such a show where you get to "TUNE IN NEXT WEEK AND SEE WHAT CRAZY SHENANIGANS RICK AND THE GANG WILL GET INTO. SAME WALKING DEAD TIME, SAME WALKING DEAD PLACE". It's called good storytelling, guys. Oh hey, is there a new character coming along? Let's dedicate an episode or 2 to fully develop said character so they don't go the rest of the show being a blank character with so depth to it... hey, is there a whole new setting where the characters are going to be? Let's dedicate an episode or 2 or 3 to develop the entire setting, and everything within it. Isn't it crazy how you know exactly every single person's background now? Gee, I wonder how they did that. Less zombie action doesn't equate to boring. People can't be fighting every single week. It would kill the entire purpose of the show. It's the zombie apocalypse. Sometimes, there are brutal days when you fight from morning to night. Other times, it's quiet and you have to focus on keeping the group intact. They're doing a fantastic job writing this show. If you can't appreciate good storytelling (and if, for some reason, you have this mangled perception of the show that every week is a completely separate hour-block and NOT one tiny fraction/segment of a larger picture), then you probably aren't as big of an authority on this show as you like to believe you are.

^ I realize that, I just think the initial Woodbury episode wasn't very good.

Well, I wasn't ranting about you specifically so I don't want you to think I was shouting down your throat or anything. And as far as that episode went: I go into each episode with a completely blank slate. If I have no idea what's going to happen, I like to leave it that way. That way, if anything happens, aside from blatant 'jumping the shark'-esque TV production, it's entertainment profit. Just like this show, just like MNR, just like every other show I like, I don't like having expecting things or hoping that thing will go a certain way. I don't like feeling disappointed, especially with things I can't control. Excuse me for getting a bit too deep for just a TV show, but I appreciate good television. I don't watch a whole lot of television these days because I just can't find anything of high quality these days. Too many people, it seems, LIKE to be disappointed. They CRAVE the disappointment because they continuously set up these ridiculous expectations in their head, and if something OUTSIDE of their head doesn't meet the standards they set up IN their head, they just accept waves of anger and rage and disappointment. Guys, if you don't like being disappointed, then don't set yourself up for disappointment. Easy as that. Either stop making up these ridiculous ideas and hopes and foresights and expectations, or stop watching altogether. and none of this "Well, I watch the show so I get to say whatever I want" bullcrap. That's one of the worst logical fallacies of all time. It never works. If your contribution to the matter is contributing absolutely nothing to the actual thing you're commenting on or the rest of the community of commentators, you're just blowing smoke out of your ass, wasting so much time and effort. It's a show about the human race trying to survive after a global tragedy. It's not a gore-fest of people with knives and guns killing zombies.

I don't have much issue if most episodes are used to build up characters or relationships. That's fine for me, and being a fan of the Sons of Anarchy, I'm okay with that because they do similar. Not every episode has to or can have constant violence and action. The second season of this show was mostly built up to the season finale, where most of the action came from, which is how it should be. Everything builds to a big powder keg explosion after building all season.

I will say that before this season, I found the characters to be mostly annoying and whiny, so watching some episodes became a chore because of how poorly they were written, and without atleast some suspense or action provided by a zombie cameo, most of them felt flat to me. This season I've come to enjoy all of them (barring Andrea) because they've all been rebooted, I feel, and given more depth. Now the group is actually a group and family, Rick has finally embraced the role as leader, and there's less, if any, vocal resistance to it like there was all season 2. The Woodbury characters are all a breath of fresh air, and Michonne is a great new wildcard addition. I've enjoyed this season more than any other, honestly. I think it's had the perfect mix of character and plot development, drama, suspense, and action. Hopefully they can keep it rolling that way for however many episodes we've got left.

Not a fan of Andrea myself. Not really the character, but the actress. I think she has an awkward acting style. She's certainly not a natural.

I think the actress who plays Laurie does the job well, it's just the character itself for me, but I literally hate every scene she's in. She's easily malleable and lacking her own identity, and unlike everybody else this season, she hasn't grown at all. Daryl, Carl, Rick, mostly all the characters have charted growth on the show. She's still the same as she has been, if not even worse now. I'm trying to give her a chance, but she's just terrible. Unless it comes out that she's as insane as the Governor is, which actually has some truth to it, considering her past actions, I can't see me ever liking her.

Think about it. First time we meet her she's hysterical and points a gun at Rick (a stranger, but a stranger in sheriff clothes). Then right after her sister dies she finally loses it. She tries suicide, hooks up with Shane, encourages Beth to kill herself, almost kills Daryl while disobeying the hold your fire notion order, etc.

And the crazy look she puts on from time to time too. The one where she looks excited, with her eyes wide open. Like after shooting at Daryl, but before she realized it wasn't a walker. I think it's all there to make her crazy, they just have to put it in motion.

Oh hey, is there a new character coming along? Let's dedicate an episode or 2 to fully develop said character so they don't go the rest of the show being a blank character with so depth to it...

But it doesn't do this. How long did it take Michione (?) to do anything, what about black prison inmate and older white prison inmate? They've done nothing for those characters. What about Herschel's other daughter, the blonde one? She's been in for over a season now and we know nothing about her at all.

I don't see this great storytelling either. Just saying that it's supposed to be a serialised show doesn't mean it's well written.

Why shouldn't I expect much from a TV Show? Why set low standards when we have TV like GoT and Breaking Bad? Sure not everything is going to be as good as those two, but that doesn't mean they can't reach that level, or at least try.

It's not a gore-fest of people with knives and guns killing zombies.

The problem is that these parts are the best part of the show and without them it falls apart due to the poor characters (outside a handful) and dialogue. It's getting better. This season has, as said, has got the mix right, but it can be so much better, which is why it is so frustrating.

Man after catching up on all the episodes starting yeaterday and reading the comic spoilers I hope they dont have Glenn Fie he is my favorite. But O feel he will since it seems to be a big part of the comics.

After watching the latest episode, I think Glenn has become my new favorite character. Sucks that this Sunday is already the mid-season finale.

Also, I'm not sure whether I should read the novels. I know that it differs from the series and all, but there are so many spoilers. :fedup:

The show is nothing like the comic, sadly. I've read every issue, and I still don't know what to expect from the show. It differs from the comic in some very unflattering ways. I despise their clean cut Governor.. He's supposed to look like a white Danny Trejo. They also killed Dale off way too early, and he never hooked up with Andrea, so he died alone. It is cool that they're finally bringing in Rick's best friend, Tyreese, and he's played by the voice actor who portrayed Coach in L4D2. :lol:

The show is nothing like the comic, sadly. I've read every issue, and I still don't know what to expect from the show. It differs from the comic in some very unflattering ways. I despise their clean cut Governor.. He's supposed to look like a white Danny Trejo. They also killed Dale off way too early, and he never hooked up with Andrea, so he died alone. It is cool that they're finally bringing in Rick's best friend, Tyreese, and he's played by the voice actor who portrayed Coach in L4D2. :lol:

in the show's defence, Greg Nicotero and Robert Kirkman did state that the differances between the comics and the series are done deliberate to keep fans guessing. i mean, if you were gonna do a tv series based on a comic book, why would you do everything the exact same way. the people that read the comics would be like "Oh i don't need to watch the show, i already know whats gonna happen".

in the show's defence, Greg Nicotero and Robert Kirkman did state that the differances between the comics and the series are done deliberate to keep fans guessing. i mean, if you were gonna do a tv series based on a comic book, why would you do everything the exact same way. the people that read the comics would be like "Oh i don't need to watch the show, i already know whats gonna happen".

Oh, I'm not saying it's bad to deviate from the comics, but some of the ways they choose to do so, as a huge fan of the comic, bothers me. The way things went down with the inmates in particular. Tamos had a way bigger impact in the comic. He actually killed one of the main characters, and then Rick beat him to death. Another thing I don't like about the new season is that they skipped through the first winter. The one improvement they made from the comics is the Shane story ark. He died in the first chapter of the compendium, but they fully explored that whole storyline in the show. I read in a GameInformer interview with Robert Kirkman that this is because he didn't expect the comic to make it past issue 10, and he wanted to finish that particular story before it was cancelled.

you know, i got to say that the video game by telltale games is way better than the show.

I don't think very many people are gonna argue with that. You actually like and care about the characters in the game.

I actually said this on facebook last night after I finished the game. Story-wise, the game was much better. The show still has moments here and there when things get emotional and you feel attached to certain characters and story elements, but the game is volumes better.

As for the last episode:

Glenn is turning into a certified badass. He straight up "Glenned-out" after killing that walker in the interrogation room. He's gonna f**k someone's day up real soon. I can't decide who deserves to kill the governor more at this point. Same with Merle. I think Daryl should kill Merle, but there is also a strong case for Michonne to do it. As for the governor, it could be Glenn because of the way the governor molested Maggie, it could be Rick...because the governor abducted his people, it could be Andrea...because she banged that dude and she will learn that he's a creeper, etc. It could even be that Merle kills the governor because he's jealous of his relationship with Andrea, or because he decides to side with his brother...at which point, maybe his brother kills him. There are so many ways that things could go...

Archived