The Walking Dead Discussion

Fuse

Nah...it's just different. Took me a while to get tuned to it...but I started to really like it at the end of the first season. Tbh, TWD is not a very good show either. It's pretty awful sometimes. And the characters have all mostly run their course. I dig the hell out of Strand on FTWD. Seeing what that dude gets up to is more interesting than anything on the main show to me.

The Negan stuff definitely interests me in WD, but that's about it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disliked every single character in Fear S1 except Strand whom I wouldn't doubt I'll end up disliking this season once he gets more screen time. I thought TWD was bad with their character decisions but Fear is on a whole different level.

Another thing I dislike about the show is the way it looks. It is aesthetically UGLY. I'm glad they went in a different route than its more gritty, grainy companion show. But what they chose is so bland and nondescript. Its flat, digital appearance reminds me the way most commercials look nowadays.

^ I know what you're saying in the second paragraph. But part of me almost thinks it's intentional. Like...it starts out that way...especially since it's in California. Then, after the shit hits the fan...that kind of "ideal" "commercial" effect that they have starts to wear off. Just a theory. I tend to think that the show runners wouldn't unintentionally make the show look that flat. I think there is logic behind it. It almost reminds me of the way that Breaking Bad did those super awkward intros to every episode...which ended up being one of my favorite parts of that entire series. I guess I'll see if this theory is true during this upcoming season...since shit has officially hit the fan now.

And as far as the characters go...I like the Indian guy and the junkie son. Don't recall either of their names...but they're decent characters to me as well. Strand is the only one that I really like...but those two get a solid pass from me. And the idea of having a junkie in the apocalypse, who needs his fix to stay level is an intriguing idea.

^ I know what you're saying in the second paragraph. But part of me almost thinks it's intentional. Like...it starts out that way...especially since it's in California. Then, after the shit hits the fan...that kind of "ideal" "commercial" effect that they have starts to wear off. Just a theory. I tend to think that the show runners wouldn't unintentionally make the show look that flat. I think there is logic behind it. It almost reminds me of the way that Breaking Bad did those super awkward intros to every episode...which ended up being one of my favorite parts of that entire series. I guess I'll see if this theory is true during this upcoming season...since shit has officially hit the fan now.

And as far as the characters go...I like the Indian guy and the junkie son. Don't recall either of their names...but they're decent characters to me as well. Strand is the only one that I really like...but those two get a solid pass from me. And the idea of having a junkie in the apocalypse, who needs his fix to stay level is an intriguing idea.

I could see them using Cali in that way as a stylistic choice. If the show progresses past season 2 I think they're gonna be showing the world decaying into an apocalypse. I think thats the logic you're talking about Gen. I think they wanted to make things look "normal" at first so they can really show the stress the apocalypse has on the world.

Nick was the name of the junkie son. A lot of people disliked him, mainly because he was a little weasel, but I certainly thought he was more interesting than most of the others. I liked the mexican dude, the dad who lost his wife. Daniel I think?

I can't for the life of me picture who Strand is ..?

Solid episode last night.

I was confused through most of the intro...with all that shit burning and chaos unfolding, but they eventually explained what was going on with the military firebombing everything. Still...I think it would have been better to explain that more...not just throw people into the middle of it. And, lord Jesus...that one girl is dumb as a sack of rocks. If she survives the pirate raid, she should be handcuffed below deck and never allowed to touch anything ever again. And what exactly was the significance of the Yacht log that Nick almost died to get? That part was lost on me.

That Walking Dead finale was probably the most underwhelming one in the series. Build up was great, really showed the strength and numbers, but the end reveal was weak. I thought I'd enjoy that character, but the monologuing turned me off. Ending scene doesn't even have me excited for the next season. I'm numb towards the whole thing. As someone who hasn't touched the comments, it's impossible to imagine how they can possibly bounce back from that situation and I won't spoil it for myself but... man... garbage imo

Nah...it's just different. Took me a while to get tuned to it...but I started to really like it at the end of the first season. Tbh, TWD is not a very good show either. It's pretty awful sometimes. And the characters have all mostly run their course. I dig the hell out of Strand on FTWD. Seeing what that dude gets up to is more interesting than anything on the main show to me.

The Negan stuff definitely interests me in WD, but that's about it.

Right? He's *censored*ing awesome! His personality, his demeanor, even the way he talks intrigues me.

I don't think anybody was killed at the end. The first blow was to the head and the character got back up. It looked like the second hit was aiming for the shoulder and then repeated body shots maybe. Negan did say he didn't want to kill any of them. He just had to beat the living shit out of one of them as punishment. You could also rule out characters by sound. You couldn't hear any of the characters screaming even though you could hear the saviours cheering in the background. This makes me believe it would be an acceptable loss for everybody involved. If he chose Maggie, Glenn would be screaming and vice versa. Same with Rick and Karl. Abraham and Sasha too.

The sound effects were entirely too wet to leave the person he was beating alive. That's not to say that that isn't the case (this is the same show that pulled that complete bullshit with Glenn surviving)...just saying, you wouldn't have sound effects that "juicy" unless you were basically talking about someone's bloody, pulpy skull being smashed across the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up with the finale, what a waste that entire episode was. Build it all the way up to that climax then don't even bother showing it? It's the most iconic comic book moment and they really did *Censored* it up.

Oh and the actor playing Negan either sucks or was completely misled on how he should play the part. That portrayal was shite.

I admittedly didn't read the comics up to Negan. Stopped right before that, I think. But I loved Negan on the show. I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with the actor's work on TWD...even if it isn't true to what the comic book character is. The show has never been 100% true to the comics. They've changed plenty. So, Negan being slightly different doesn't seem like a big deal to me. And he still seems plenty sick and twisted.

Despite TWD being a super gory show and claiming to be "horror", Negan's character is a bit too R rated to be done on screen to complete effect. He was always going to be different to his comic-self.

I admittedly didn't read the comics up to Negan. Stopped right before that, I think. But I loved Negan on the show. I don't know how anyone could be unhappy with the actor's work on TWD...even if it isn't true to what the comic book character is. The show has never been 100% true to the comics. They've changed plenty. So, Negan being slightly different doesn't seem like a big deal to me. And he still seems plenty sick and twisted.

If you had continued reading you'd probably understand why so many people are unhappy with how he was portrayed in those ten minutes. I can appreciate he maybe can't be as r rated as he is in the comics, but they appeared to make him pretty much a carbon copy of the Guv in terms of his quiet, calm demeanour.

I wouldn't really compare him to the Governor.

Governor (in the tv series) always came off as kind of a tortured soul. Like...he knew he was a bad guy, but part of him didn't want to be. There were even times when they hinted that he might be able to make a full recovery and be a normal, loving human being again. He ultimately thought he was doing what was necessary and right. But...with the brief introduction of Negan, you can already tell that he just enjoys doing what he does. There's no pussyfooting around it.

Strand being gay seems...absurdly unnecessary. I don't have a problem with it. Just seems...like some forced shit for the sake of having a gay character. May also just be because they showed it at the very end of the episode, which is a spot that is usually used for "big reveals"...so, instead of it just being part of his character, they intentionally made it a talking point. Obvious that they wanted people to say "Strand is gay? What?"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived