The popularity of 3D movies..

.DUB

3D  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new trend of movies being released in 3D?

• Yes
    • No

With how many films that have taken to being released in 3D, it seems like it's only a matter of time until that's the only way movies are released. Even going to the cinema lately, there isn't an option of seeing 3D released films in 2D which I would much prefer. Does it really make a huge difference, or is it just a new gimmick/trend? Would you prefer movies to go down the route of 3D or prefer they be kept in the format they have been in for years?

The whole popularity of 3D irritates me a bit. I can understand its appeal and its value in some cases. In a film like Avatar, it gives depth and creates a new experience. But Toy Story 3? Was 3D necessary? I could of enjoyed the film just as much without wearing the annoying glasses which I didn't feel made a difference to the film. To me, its a new bandwagon that doesn't work for a lot of films. It's a new gimmick that I think is being overused.

And I made the poll very straightforward. Could of put in a "yes if used correctly" or "in some cases option", but I wanted to get a straight up view of the general consensus of 3D movies.

I don't mind the odd one, but it's starting to get a bit boring now. I actually went to see Toy Story 3 in 2D on the day it came out, keeping the tradition of having seen the other two in the same format. I then went to see the 3D version about a week later, and in all honesty, there wasn't that much difference. There was more 3D effects in the predecessing commercials.

Actually, another thing I don't like about it is I think it takes away from the story. A film can rely on being in 3D instead of focusing itself around a really really strong story.
In all honesty, as successful as Avatar was, would it of been as successful without the 3D effects? No, it was a 3D film. It was very well done, but in a different sense to a lot of other movies.

And I'm the same, 3D in sports is completely unnecessary.

Guest .:SM:.
I don't mind 3D in the cinema for motion capture/CGI films, any other film then No. I also don't see the point of 3D TV's, as I don't really want to wear glasses to watch TV.

It's all a bullshit fad that will wear off near end of year possibly once they get the barrage of X-Mas 3d movies outta way >_<.

I agree it's cool for the kids to get more bang for the buck and 3D acts like a carnival ride in a way, so they don't have to sit their and get frustrated waiting for movie to be over.

For us mature movie goers, we want to rely on the story and good acting for our tickets when we go to them. Like said before it does take away from the story of the movie just to put in some cheesy effects.

Oh hell the whole 3D in your homes now, with the glasses & tv setup.. This is just freaking ridiculous. You want me to wear glasses indoors that are a sure fire way to ruin your eyes real quick over time. Nice parenting skills there paying $5000 to have your kids go blind down the line, nice very nice indeed

Before I read your post I thought about how unnecessary the 3D was in Toy Story. Thank God I wasn't the only one who felt that the 3D used in that film was utterly pointless. Some films can highly benefit from 3D e.g. horror films; in my opinion, 3D in a horror flick they makes it much more immersive and generally more frightening. But in films like Toy Story... there just wasn't a point at all. It would've been exactly the same in 2D. I still enjoyed the movie of course, but having to wear the glasses for no reason whatsoever, was a bit annoying. However, at least we know it won't be affected when it gets released in 2D. Some films look ridiculous when they're released in 2D format, luckily, Toy Story will just be the same.

It doesn't make much of a difference, although I guess it enhances the viewing quality that isn't what you'll remember at the end of the day, and it's overshadowing the actual movies themselves. I hope the novelty wears out and people get over it. Looks like I'm being dragged to see The Last Airbender just because it's in 3D, which is stupid.
Also it seems now that you can get 3D on your TV, which is pretty pointless to me. I don't want to put on 3D glasses every time I turn on the TV especially since there's nothing to gain from it.

If they don't adapt the movie to a 3D format (i.e. they don't use the images popping out at you), then the entire point of 3D is wasted and instead you're stuck in the theater with a pair of glasses that just don't fit quite right.

I think the 3D obsession is getting old rather fast. There's just too many movies using it only for a cash-grab.

Only when it fits. Avatar is really the only example of this in recent memory. I would have seen Toy story 3 in 3D also, but I watched it online, and decided to save my money. For the most part, 3D is ridiculous, though. Take that new Piranha movie for example...or the commercial that I literally just heard from the other room while I was typing this for "Step Up 3D"...which is a dancing movie.

Only when the movie calls for 3D, not every movie should be in 3D, as Generations has stated, "Step Up 3D".. really?? so people can see legs flying in your face, or pop locking in front of you.. this has to be the dumbest idea for a 3D movie so far.. no dance movie should be in 3D.. period.

I didn't really mind 3D movies when they first came out recently, as we had Avatar mainlining those kind of movies, but now, even i can see that it's just basically turned into a giant gimmick. Even the trailers are gimmicky. Step Up 3D? Looks like a load of shit because the entire film's just dancers stepping up to the front of the camera and waving their hands all over the place.

Good 3D Movies so far.

- Step Up 3D

Thats it and I have one of them Unlimited Cards for Cineworld where you pay £14 a month and watch as many as possible and I've seen plenty of other 3D garbage.

I guess Piranhas 3D looks ok and Despicable Me looks quite good but I'll have to wait and see.

Archived