In Defense of...

buddyboy101

Hey everyone,

I'm frankly surprised by the backlash towards this game. I, like many people on this board, grew up in the late 80s and early 90's, when wrestling was larger than life and the games were more simple and animated (Wrestlefest comes to mind!). THQ is targeting this demographic in making WWE All Stars. By featuring old school wrestlers, simple gameplay/controls, and a highly animated presentation, WWE All Stars is directly harkening the days gone by that we remember so fondly.

I was very excited for Legends of Wrestlemania, but was ultimately disappointed by it. With LOWM, THQ was going for the ultimate legends game, an impossible feat. The roster would be inevitably incomplete and the missing details (Undertaker's missing trench coat for example) were glaring. Even worse, the gameplay was flawed, complicated, and just not fun.

With WWE All Stars, THQ is actually making a sequel to LOWM, but it's changing its approach. Instead of building an expectation of perfected exhaustion and realism, THQ has set its sights on an arcade experience, where perfect intros/attires are not to be as greatly expected. Rather the focus is on creating a FUN gameplay experience with superstars of yesterday and today. And by opening the roster to today's superstars, THQ is able to market the game to today's fans, in addition to those who cherish the "good ol days".

From what I've seen, the gameplay looks brilliant - smooth, fluid, and fast-paced. I really don't understand the comparisons to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. If anything this is more similar to NFL Blitz or NBA Jam. I think we can all accept the fact that is not a wrestling simulator. That's Smackdown's territory. WWE All Stars is a game that is not to be taken as seriously. And when you stop taking things so seriously, life becomes a lot more FUN.

Well, that's all I have to say. I think everyone should lighten up and get excited for a game that will be a breath of fresh air!

I could go either way with this game really, it depends on what features this games has. SvR will be the first out of the two that I buy but I'll get this if I get the opportunity. If it's like Street Fighter or Tekken or whatever where you fight 8 matches then a boss fight and thats it i will not buy it. I'm just waiting to see what else this game has to offer. I hope it does turn out well because I am dying for a good legends game

[quote name='buddyboy101' date='14 July 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1279174362' post='7412957']
Hey everyone,

I'm frankly surprised by the backlash towards this game. I, like many people on this board, grew up in the late 80s and early 90's, when wrestling was larger than life and the games were more simple and animated (Wrestlefest comes to mind!). THQ is targeting this demographic in making WWE All Stars. By featuring old school wrestlers, simple gameplay/controls, and a highly animated presentation, WWE All Stars is directly harkening the days gone by that we remember so fondly.

I was very excited for Legends of Wrestlemania, but was ultimately disappointed by it. With LOWM, THQ was going for the ultimate legends game, an impossible feat. The roster would be inevitably incomplete and the missing details (Undertaker's missing trench coat for example) were glaring. Even worse, the gameplay was flawed, complicated, and just not fun.

With WWE All Stars, THQ is actually making a sequel to LOWM, but it's changing its approach. Instead of building an expectation of perfected exhaustion and realism, THQ has set its sights on an arcade experience, where perfect intros/attires are not to be as greatly expected. Rather the focus is on creating a FUN gameplay experience with superstars of yesterday and today. And by opening the roster to today's superstars, THQ is able to market the game to today's fans, in addition to those who cherish the "good ol days".

From what I've seen, the gameplay looks brilliant - smooth, fluid, and fast-paced. I really don't understand the comparisons to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. If anything this is more similar to NFL Blitz or NBA Jam. I think we can all accept the fact that is not a wrestling simulator. That's Smackdown's territory. WWE All Stars is a game that is not to be taken as seriously. And when you stop taking things so seriously, life becomes a lot more FUN.

Well, that's all I have to say. I think everyone should lighten up and get excited for a game that will be a breath of fresh air!
[/quote]
Finally some1 feels the same way!!!!!!!!!!! :nod:

[quote name='_yoshi_tatsu_' date='15 July 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1279209396' post='7413409']
I could go either way
[/quote]

Thats what she said :shifty:

I agree with this though, this was never supposed to be the perfect simulator, it was meant to be a fun arcade style game, and from what I've seen it should deliver that. However some of the stuff I've seen just seems a little too over the top for my tastes.

I agree. I really haven't posted in the other topics, because there really is no point. Most people hate it because they've grown up on simulator games like Smackdown vs RAW. I like that this game is over the top for once. It's a nice change in an era where most wrestling games try to capture realism over arcade play.

Archived