Should wrestling personalitys say wrestling isn't real?

SniperOps

So I was just watching Linda Mcmahon's senate campaign commercial here on TV. She talked about how her old job use to be with the WWE, and showed wrestler's doing moves... mostly high flying ones(Taker's dive at WM for instance) she then said how it's not real but the problems here in Connecticut are.

Do you think people who work in wrestling, especially the wife of the Chairman of the company should be going on TV and saying how it's not real? After all tons of people who think wrestling isn't predetermined and they really do think wrestlers hate each other in feuds.

It kinda ruins the whole concept of wrestling for everyone, it's kind of like you might as well just go onto RAW and after Cena or Vince get's mauled at by NXT have Michael Cole say "oh he's not really hurt".

What do you think?

Ive always had a problem with people calling it "not real" its just ignorant tbh. Its scripted when you call it fake it makes it sound like there's no pain involved at all and wrestlers are dropped on pillows and packing peanuts. They destroy themselves and people like Lesnar who have made the transition to another sport has said wrestling was far harder on his body. People just don't understand how badly these guys get banged up and to say it fake is just wrong scripted and predetermined are more proper.

I don't think it makes a difference anymore. Everyone knows its fake (unfortunately a lot of people think that just because the outcome is fake, the in-ring action is too. Its impossible to convince them there's no fake way to fall off of a 20 ft ladder. I've tried). Even little kids can't get away with buying into kayfabe anymore. If you try to tell them Santa Claus or pro wrestling is real, some ass hole kid at their school will just ruin it for them.

Its just like how if you mention anything about wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, they always say, "you [i]know[/i] its fake, [i]right[/i]?", and they say it in that proud, cocky tone like they just let you in on some huge secret. No shit, its fake. I hate when people act like they're exposing some giant hoax by calling it fake.

[quote name='Aleister Crowley' date='24 June 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1277438113' post='7372243']
I don't think it makes a difference anymore. Everyone knows its fake (unfortunately a lot of people think that just because the outcome is fake, the in-ring action is too. Its impossible to convince them there's no fake way to fall off of a 20 ft ladder. I've tried). Even little kids can't get away with buying into kayfabe anymore. If you try to tell them Santa Claus or pro wrestling is real, some ass hole kid at their school will just ruin it for them.

[b]Its just like how if you mention anything about wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, they always say, "you [i]know[/i] its fake, [i]right[/i]?", and they say it in that proud, cocky tone like they just let you in on some huge secret. No shit, its fake. I hate when people act like they're exposing some giant hoax by calling it fake.
[/quote][/b]

Exactly.

[quote name='Aleister Crowley' date='25 June 2010 - 04:55 AM' timestamp='1277438113' post='7372243']

[b]Its just like how if you mention anything about wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, they always say, "you [i]know[/i] its fake, [i]right[/i]?", and they say it in that proud, cocky tone like they just let you in on some huge secret. No shit, its fake. I hate when people act like they're exposing some giant hoax by calling it fake.[/b]
[/quote]

I've heard that so many times. But it's still kind of odd to see Linda say that on TV. I can see maybe a wrestler saying that in a shoot interview but... the reason Undertaker can hardly walk isn't because he fell down the stairs, but because he's been wrestling for 20 or so years.

[quote name='Aleister Crowley' date='24 June 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1277438113' post='7372243']

Its just like how if you mention anything about wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, they always say, "you [i]know[/i] its fake, [i]right[/i]?", and they say it in that proud, cocky tone like they just let you in on some huge secret. No shit, its fake. I hate when people act like they're exposing some giant hoax by calling it fake.
[/quote]
My brother did that to me today. I cussed him out and told him to go fall off a 20 ft (I actually said tall ass) ladder and see how *censored*ing fake it is.

I gots in trouble.

Hmm... Now Linda said it wasn't real? Well, showing high flying diving moves and stuff is not a good example at all. She should have shown the storylines or chair shots. Those are not real. But in wrestling those High Flying moves she showed ARE real. When Hardy did the 50' Swanton, did he not feel pain? When Lesnar went for the Shooting Star press on Angle, did he not fail? You can't fake this stuff, but yet she goes and prett much insults the people who did this by saying it was "fake" WTF? Bad examples but a pretty good set up. If she showed Edge and Lita's sex celebration, then it would have been perfect.

[quote name='*Self Made*' date='25 June 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1277436663' post='7372218']
Ive always had a problem with people calling it "not real" its just ignorant tbh. Its scripted [b]when you call it fake it makes it sound like there's no pain involved at all[/b] and wrestlers are dropped on pillows and packing peanuts.
[/quote]

I know people will disagree with me on this, but this is where I find that a lot of wrestling fans overthink the definition of fake.

"not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article"
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:fake&sa=X&ei=J7IkTOTWCMuHkAWunaSOAQ&ved=0CBQQkAE
Generally, the moves are made to look like they've actually been performed for real, when really it's selling, which is linked to the definition I posted.
Fake, scripted, not real, whatever. They're fine in my opinion. :)

It bothers too me when people refer to it as 'fake', as it's been said before wrestling is 'predetermined' but it's not fake in any way. I think its good when stars keep to kayfabe, like during Bret's feuds of the 80s and 90s he would do his best to keep it looking as real as possible in and out of the ring, but it's just nowhere near as easy now as it used to be.
I personally don't think Linda should be involving herself with the WWE not she's moved into politics, but i'm not really in a position to comment as i know nothing about her campaign at all :)

People (non wrestling fans) tend to think that wrestling is silly and fake because the performers are often involved in rediculous story lines. On top of that whenever I watch a event on TV and someone (who is not a fan) who happens to be in the same room Im watching it in would always blurt out "YOU KNOW THIS IS ALL AN ACT RIGHT?" or "DO YOU THINK THIS IS REAL?". It really gets under my skin why the average person cant just sit and enjoy a wrestling event without all the critizisim. Regardless of it being scripted or predetermined there is definantly a reality and rich history to the genre.

Btw people who go to the movies or watch any other show on tv wont sit throughout the whole thing complaining about it being fake yet most of the stuff that goes on in wrestling involve way more physical and mental damage to the performers. In all honesty our society is screwed up backwards and inside out.

Btw people who go to the movies or watch any other show on tv wont sit throughout the whole thing complaining about it being fake yet most of the stuff that goes on in wrestling involve way more physical and mental damage to the performers. In all honesty our society is screwed up backwards and inside out.

[quote name='*Self Made*' date='25 June 2010 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1277436663' post='7372218']
Ive always had a problem with people calling it "not real" its just ignorant tbh. Its scripted when you call it fake it makes it sound like there's no pain involved at all and wrestlers are dropped on pillows and packing peanuts. They destroy themselves and people like Lesnar who have made the transition to another sport has said wrestling was far harder on his body. People just don't understand how badly these guys get banged up and to say it fake is just wrong scripted and predetermined are more proper.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Do you think people who work in wrestling, especially the wife of the Chairman of the company should be going on TV and saying how it's not real? After all tons of people who think wrestling isn't predetermined and they really do think wrestlers hate each other in feuds.[/quote]

No... you know who should be telling the kids this stuff isn't real...

wait for it... wait for it...

[spoiler]the parents :o

the disclaimer the WWE uses is fine, but it's still up to the parents to inform them that professional wrestling, sports entertainment, is scripted. And if the parents don't know that it is scripted, then they shouldn't be letting their kids watch it.[/spoiler]

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT! Ok now that I got that out, I never thought I would hear a McMahon say this. To me, wrestling is real because of all that is put on the line. There are many injuries and even death in the wrestling industry. Fake? No. Scripted? Yes. Linda McMahon has lost a lot of respect from me. It's like what Mr. Anderson's shirt says. "Wrestling is Real. People are fake." Linda seems so fake now trying to get that senate seat. Telling people wrestling isn't real and also having Bryan Danielson fired. Even if it wasn't her, there is a lot of speculation that his firing was to try to make it look like they don't condone his actions. And for what? I thought she just said that was her old job. Most people know it's scripted and it's not real fighting. That's not my gripe with Linda. Just feels like a slap in the face to the entertainers that sacrifice 300+ days a year and beat up their bodies.

It doesn't even matter anymore if Linda says it's fake, if your not a wrestling fan you already buy into that shit as it is. Wrestling will probably never be treated the way it was pre McMahon steroid trial (when you never really heard people harp about how fake it is).

i also hate when people say that stuff too, i remember that in 6th grade i was sitting at a table and me and some other kid were talking about wrestling and then some kid at a different table turned around and said something like " oh, don't you know that's just one big dance" and that made me really mad, then recently we had this guy living with us because he needed a place to live, and everytime that i would be watching raw and he would be in the same room as me he would always say those type of things about it being fake, i remember there was a tag team match going on and he sat down for a little bit to watch it, and he said stuff like " this is so fake, if he really wanted to tag him in then he would tag him in" and other dumb comments.

Archived