Biggest Annoyance about LOWM?

iamthedoctor

Im a big fan of Legends from the 80s 90s but man the gameplay is the pits. I would highly not recommending this game. Why couldnt thq make it with the sd engine where we could use a weapon when we wanted. THQ wont reply to our feedback and they probably wont comment. Only way they d listen if we burst into their offices grabbed Corey around the scruff of the neck and told him that had he gone sd engine way the game would of sold well. Had we also been given triple threats fatal fourways and 6 man tags this game would of worked well. Seeing as the cut off date was wrestlemania 1999 that PPV had fatal fourways so thats what they should of done and gave us a bigger roster! Why did they use it as a platform to promote current wwe talent?

Singles match
Tag team match
$15,000 Body Slam Challenge
Tag team match with special guest referee
Flag match
Twenty-man battle royal
Steel cage match
Mixed tag team match
6-man tag team match
Tournament match
Handicap tag team match
Singles match with special guest referee
Blindfold match
8 man Tag team match
Falls Count Anywhere match
Ladder match
"I Quit" match with special guest referee
Hollywood Backlot Brawl
Iron Man match
Submission match with special guest referee
Six-man tag team Chicago Street Fight
No disqualification match

Those matches should of been in. It was just retarded not putting in 6 man tag FFS its been at wrestlemanias since the 2nd show in 1986!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='xHitxThexLightsx' date='19 February 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1266543782' post='7096330']
well gameplay wise, I'd go with the pinning system. Other than that, I would have liked to see a 6 man tag match thrown in there...otherwise I thought it was alright.
[/quote]

I hated the layout of the game. The good thing was the graphics. But gameplay was complete cack. Why oh why cant THQ just comprehend to give the fans what they always wanted a Legends game with the SD controls. It doesnt take a brain surgeion to figure that out.

the gameplay. in a dream world, they would have used the aki engine from the n64 games. in a realistic world, they could have at least used the svr engine. if nothing else, the stupid "showdown - legends of wrestling" engine would have been better.

the game was obviously rushed. they have alternate attires for a bunch of people in caw mode, but we can't edit the wrestlers, so those attires are pointless. how hard would it have been to either let us edit the wrestlers or to make those clothes a second attire?

why not give us 3 on 3 tag matches? that way we could do survivor series style matches with more than just two people on a team. and for that matter, why not let us create stables instead of just tag teams? a "king of the ring" type tournament would have been nice too, and i'm sure that would be pretty easy to put in.

they could have thrown in some other arenas as well, like survivor series, summerslam, king of the ring, saturday night's main event, and old school monday night raw.

the create a wrestler mode was actually pretty great and i have no major problems with it, but it would have been nice if we got to make alternate attires for our caw's like we can in 2010. also, letting us pick a victory celebration would be a nice addition.

i also have a problem with the theme musics. ok, some people like andre and king kong bundy never had actual theme music, so i understand making generic music for them. but why does junkyard dog come out to some generic crap when they could have used any of his actual themes? i understand not using "another one bites the dust" 'cause they'd have to pay royalties for it, but what about the wwe produced "grab them cakes"? why does late 80's/early 90's bossman come out to his late 90's corporation theme? why not "hard times"? why does shawn michaels come out to his current theme instead of the one sung by sherri or his rockers theme?

and when you add custom theme music, it freaking skips half the time!

and finally, the roster. the game, based on the arenas, is supposed to be from 1985 through 1999. but the roster isn't. ok, wwf had three different eras in that time frame. from roughly 85-92, it was the "hulkamania" era. from roughly 93-96 it was the "new generation" era. and form roughly 97-99 it was the "attitute" era.

most of the wrestlers are from the "hulkamania" era. from the "new generation" era, there's only bret hart, undertaker and shawn michaels, and all of them were wrestling in the "hulkamania" era as well, so really, there's no one. then it jumps to the "attitude" era by including rock, hhh, and austin. instead of using half the roster space on current wrestlers from svr2009, they should have used the space to fill up the holes in the actual roster.

if you're going just "hulkamania" era, fine. but you're still missing a lot of people that need to be in the game. randy savage is for sure the biggest omission. the guy was at every wm from 2-10, in the championship match in three of them. i know they had their issues with savage, but around this time they released a dvd of the guy's career.. so why not include him in the game? not to mention all the other guys that are missing - ricky steamboat, demolition, george steele, srike force, powers of pain, power and glory, dino bravo, earthquake (they made him downloadable for svr, but not this game), typhoon, and many more. not to mention, they give us bossman but no akeem, and rockers attire for shawn michaels but no marty jannetty.

if you're doing the "new generation" era as well, there are still a lot of people you need to include. tatanka, luger, razor ramon, diesel (i know nash was in tna when this game was released, but wwe owns the rights to the "diesel" gimmick, as they proved when they created a new "razor ramon" and a new "diesel" after hall and nash left for wcw), sid, and many more.

and then the "attitude era". same thing, all they have is the rock, hhh (though the '98 hhh would have been better.. when he was the leader of dx and wore the long tights), and austin. you also need foley (though i understand he went to tna when this game came out so they took him out), kane (with the mask, not the svr version), kurt angle (though i understand he was also in tna), x-pac, new age outlaws, and many more.

and on top of the missing wrestlers, they didn't stick to the "legends of wrestlemania" concept. kamala only wrestled in one wrestlemania, and it was well past his prime just to put over the undertaker. michael hayes never wrestled any wrestlemania! arn anderson is in the game as his nwa/wcw version, not the wwf version. if you're just going to do legends of wrestling, and not be limited to wresltemania, fine. but you're missing a lot of other wrestlers that weren't in known for wrestlemania matches who should go in before michael hayes or kamala. wcw guys like sting or vader. since you've included austin and rock, why not goldberg who was just as big as them in the late 90's?

all that being said, i did enjoy the game, and since i got it for only 30 bucks, i feel like i got my moneys worth. if they ever release a squeal, i probably will buy it. but the game did disappoint me in many ways, and they have a LOT of stuff they need to work on.

the theme songs for JYD and Hard Times for Bossman were not owned by WWF/E. On current dvd's they also dub the music for those two to what they have in the game. For Michaels and Flair it was probably something along the lines of their music is so similar to todays themes they didnt think any one would notice.

as for the wrestlers like hayes and anderson both work for wwe so im sure that came in to play but THQ has stated they wanted many other wrestlers but were unable to come to contract agreements with them. thq signed each wrestler in this game to a separate contract than their legends contracts. this explains why warrior is in it. savage and foley were removed by wwe's request and I know from interviews vince mcmahon and demolition ax and smash dont get along since they tried to sue wwe for the rights to the name "demolition." ricky steamboat was also to be included but at the time he was going through a divorce and for a short time his wife owned the name "ricky the dragon steamboat."

I agree the they dropped the ball with the engine and with the "wrestlemania" category they attempted to use for this game.

as for game modes I am sure it had to do with, as you said, this game being rushed to be out along side wrestlemania

I know what you mean everything is true. Why were THQ so thick that they didnt give the fans what they wanted. Was it really that difficult to comprehend SD ENGINE ONLY!!!!!! We wanted the easy control system not something complete rubbish a stupid 3 button combo finisher where in CAW mode we cant give the right star their finisher. They wasted far too much memory on the disc with videos of the mania mode when they could of animated somthing easier.

I never saw why they had to make it the attude Rock and Austin only two guys who shouldnt of been in the game this era should of been the first 10 wrestlemanias! Now if they rereleased sdvsraw but with all the characters changed to legend stars and the arenas to classic ones then id be happy much like most fans would be.

I saw this in tescos yesterday for 10 quid which is very low price brand new. All WWE & THQ were interested in was using the LOWM title as a platform to promote the current WWE roster. They didnt give a shit about the old school legend fans because if they cared they wouldnt of wasted slots on the current wwe stars that they made for the game just for people to unlock those spots could of been saved for actual Legend stars.

To this day Im still pissed off how THQ just didnt listen to us and still dont. They wont make a sequel and they are the ones making the game yes but a larger roster more match types and god damn it [size="6"]THQ GIVE US A LEGENDS GAME WITH THE SDvsRAW ENGINE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

I havent played the game for a long long time now and well least Showdown gave us a fairly better Legends game. For 1 multi attires for every wrestler and thousands of call names for caws with 4 dif options.

[quote name='The Vickshow' date='14 March 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1268597791' post='7151105']
Just looking at your list of matches that should have been in, how would a blindfold match work in a game? :???:
[/quote]

Blindfold match not sure. If it was a first person perpective you would see a blur and move. For actual wrestling gameplay way I suppose if you run you fall over and you move slowly and when you feel the arm you can do a move but top rope moves you would miss your opponent.

Everything annoyed me. The small roster, limited moves, lack of authenticity, even the presentation felt like shit. All the while I played it, it felt incomplete. It felt unfinished. The only things I liked were the Relive/ReWrite/Redefine modes and the Royal Rumble (which they used a better version of in SVR10).

Biggest annoyance for me, it wasn't a fun game. After a handful of matches it was easy to work out that if you want a finisher then all you have to do is 1 or 2 of the QTE grapples and your meter will fill up much faster. The limited movesets in general were annoying because I'd always end up repeating the same move several times in a match and hating it. The kickout system also seemed really unfair as more often than not if the AI or other person hit a finisher then it was over.

As for issues I had with it that weren't gameplay related then they'd be things like alternate attires and entrance attires for people already on the roster being included in CAL. If you wanted, you could make Rick Rude with a better attire (imo) and have his entrance robe too, but they took the time to include them in the game so I don't see why they didn't have them on the in-game models. They also didn't have many "relive" moments, not even what I'd consider to be obvious ones like the Bret/Hogan/Yoko stuff from Mania 9, or even more obscure ones like Bret vs. Piper from Mania 8.

I'd bitch about the roster, but that'd be pointless as it's not up to THQ who makes the final game, it's up to WWE. Plus then there are guys who just may not want to be included for whatever reasons, personally I liked them including the roster of 09 in the game to make up for the fact that the roster was small. It was also a neat idea to have all the "legends" going up against the current crop of stars.

What annoys me most about it though is that none of it was included in SvR2010, the arenas were fantastic and the entrances were cool. I'd have loved them to include the import feature to 2010 just so I could use those things in a game I have more fun on. Giving everyone a bigger and better moveset, using superstar threads, all of that would have been great. Because LOWM for me is a game I really want to love, and it has a lot there that I do really like, but whenever I go on it I play 1 match and think "Oh yeah, this is why I hate this game" and turn it off.

Like most have said so far, if they were to make a sequel I'd much rather they use the base SD engine and add some of the things from LOWM to it. Things like the bigger cell, the arenas, fighting in the actual crowd (and let us do that outside of a few relive moments), several opportunities to reverse a finisher (just without a button flashing on the screen to let you know when), maybe DLC for extra guys or relive moments, even importing the current roster to flesh it out a bit.

The gameplay, especially the finisher system. It makes it incredibly hard to make a CAW of a real wrestler not included in the game and to give him an accurate finisher. As soon as I watched my brother play and saw how the finisher system worked, I knew it was a deal-breaker and I wouldn't be investing much time in the game.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Sorry to necro the thread, but just picked this up because it was cheap and I saw it was compatible with SVR09 (which for the most part I'm actually quite enjoying, massive improvement on SVR08). I would have to agree with above comments about the control system, why not use the SVR system (especially as after making many changes, they were just getting that bit right IMO)? I get that they wanted to make this more... arcadey(?) but they could have done that with a cutdown SVR engine.

Also I imported some CAWs and superstars from SVR09, but can't find any indication that the transfer works the other way? I miss having Legends in SVR09 and don't really want to have to take up CAW slots for them while the game has Jesse and freakin Festus...

I may actually go trade this back in as the place I got this from had SVR10 cheaper than this, starting to wish I'd gone with that choice (hoping it continues on the improvements of SVR09, Threads sounds like a good addition etc).

[quote name='iamthedoctor' timestamp='1268603601' post='7151322']
[quote name='The Vickshow' date='14 March 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1268597791' post='7151105']
Just looking at your list of matches that should have been in, how would a blindfold match work in a game? :???:
[/quote]

Blindfold match not sure. If it was a first person perpective you would see a blur and move. For actual wrestling gameplay way I suppose if you run you fall over and you move slowly and when you feel the arm you can do a move but top rope moves you would miss your opponent.
[/quote]
That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard for anything. Ever.

[quote name='Purple Rayne' timestamp='1306295455' post='8071419']
[quote name='iamthedoctor' timestamp='1268603601' post='7151322']
[/quote]

[/quote]
That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard for anything. Ever.
[/quote]

:lol:

Archived