Sell me the game (Xbox 360 version)

ToneCold

OK this is the deal. At the moment I am looking for a new wrestling game, possibly to buy with christmas money. I have been to local games stores and of the games I don't have it seems I have three options at a similar low price for Xbox; TNA Impact, SVR 09 and... [s]Rumble Roses[/s]:poke: :spas:

Basically here I want to know the main reasons I should buy SVR09 (can't afford 2010 at the moment, but if I end up buying 9 and it's good, may be a later purchase). Please bear in mind that while I have followed major events etc online, I haven't [i]really[/i] followed WWE since about 2005 and currently watch TNA Impact (as it is on free TV here in the UK for the moment) but probably would watch WWE too if I had TV channels that it was on.

So um... yeah, sell me sell me sell me :P

OK please tell me 09 was an improvement on 08 because that left a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the SVR series really. They messed with the controls again, and I didn't like the combined GM and Season mode (preferred them as seperates in the other games that featured those modes, maybe I'm a little oldschool or somethin :P).

I still play 07 on PS2 and Xbox360 and both versions I have of 08 just sit there on the shelf gathering dust because I can't be bothered to trade them in. I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that they cured at least some of the f***ups they made (IMO) with 08.

[quote name='.Vâ„¢' date='09 December 2009 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1260390766' post='6910351']
Stay on 07. That's really I have to say. Save up and buy 2010 when ever. 2009 is not worth it.
[/quote]

I kinda disagree. I thought 09 was a nice step in the right direction. It sure beats 08.

at the moment even though I didn't play it very long before getting bored of it, I don't think it would take too much to beat 08 if I'm honest. Maybe I will try 08 again before I decide whether to trade it in (and break my collection of having all the Smackdown and SVR series up to 08, I tend to keep stuff even if I don't play it much anymore if it's part of a series like that :P)

Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 is a great game. The Tag Team has more depth because of the "hot tag" where you can build momentum. The roster is more updated. Career Mode sucks though and that's the only way to get more points. It makes more sense to have signature moves and only be able to execute a finisher when your opponent's health is low or in "danger." I haven't played 2007 but I played 2006 and that was great and a breakthrough game. I miss some of the matches, bigger tag matches (meaning more people) and GM Mode.

TLC is still pretty stupid since it doesn't involve climbing a ladder to get a championship to win. Just plain Tornado Tag Match is badly named because it doesn't involve any "tagging" and it never happens on the shows.

Don't get TNA Impact; its bad like the show. :rolleyes:

[quote name='DXarmysoldier' date='09 December 2009 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1260401818' post='6910885']
Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 is a great game. The Tag Team has more depth because of the "hot tag" where you can build momentum. The roster is more updated. Career Mode sucks though and that's the only way to get more points. It makes more sense to have signature moves and only be able to execute a finisher when your opponent's health is low or in "danger." I haven't played 2007 but I played 2006 and that was great and a breakthrough game. I miss some of the matches, bigger tag matches (meaning more people) and GM Mode.

TLC is still pretty stupid since it doesn't involve climbing a ladder to get a championship to win. Just plain Tornado Tag Match is badly named because it doesn't involve any "tagging" and it never happens on the shows.

Don't get TNA Impact; its bad like the show. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

No offence but I don't think the show of TNA Impact is bad, I've enjoyed the ones that have been on free-to-air TV here for the last few weeks, much more than clips of recent Raw and Smackdown than I've watched. I do agree that while I like the originality of some aspects, the PS2 version of Impact that I have WAS pretty bad. It was however something different to SVR, was just hoping the CAW mode in the Xbox version would add to it.

Little update; Today I saw SVR09 for £10 in a local store, I have games I want to trade in (one of the versions of SVR08, probably gonna take the PS2 version as there's a tiny chance I may play the Xbox one again at some point) so may just take those in and get the tradein value, using that to pay for it rather than it costing cash. The same place didn't have Impact in stock, but according to it's website when they do have it, it's £6 (except for the Wii version which is £8 :huh:).

Turns out from the same website I'd get £1.80 in tradein credit for the PS2 version, £3 for the Xbox one... hmmm. Think I'll be giving these games one more chance to decide which one (if any) I want to keep and which ones I'll trade to pay for SVR09.

I have also posted this in another thread where someone was asking about the merits of 07 VS 08, but I think it's relevant here too, plus I've added and edited...

I played a little 08 last night. Kinda liked the tourneys (KOTR and Beat The Clock Sprint) and the CAW mode does seem more flexible in some ways, and you can use your own music for entrances (I have a CAW on there that I made before I gave up, and it has Smoke On The Water as it's entrance music :D ) but that was far outweighed by things I didn't like, like freakin season mode, yet another unnecessary overhaul of the controls (I mean friggin Y to pull off a finisher and hold down LB while walking to run, WTF???), the whole fighting styles thing (just do the weight class thing well like they did in 07 and get rid of that badly-executed POS).
Fighting styles might work on a TNA game though if there is another one as they have X-Division where guys in totally different weight classes can face off for the same title.

Can someone please tell me if the things I don't like are the same in 09, as it could probably lead to me not bothering with it if they are. Would also be useful to know if the things I DO like above are the same.

Thanks for the feedback so far and thanks in advance for any further feedback people can give.

Thanks for all the info here and in the Should I get 07 or 08 thread.

Hmmm from all that I don't think I'll bother, not enough new things that I actually like me thinks and they've taken away tournaments and PPV modes (which I liked, for me, tourneys was a plus point of 08).

The control system I might get used to judging by my few hours tinkering on 08 yesterday but ultimately I still went back to 07 where the controls have a better feel.

So 09 has a Career Mode AND RTWM? that just seems odd to me, what's wrong with a continuous season mode (ala say Smackdown 2, but with a few plotline elements from later games). If it's not 24/7, does that mean there's no GM Mode? (something else I have liked in previous games).

One thing I did notice when trying to play 08 was that it was more glitchy and even froze on some of the loading screens. After all the years they've been making these games, problems like that shouldn't be creeping back in IMO.

I may get it if the price were to drop further (to about the same sort of price SVR 07 is going for now, a few quid) but I don't think it's worth the current price.

There are no different fighting styles, just assign different moves. The only tournaments on there are traditional and beat the clock. Career Mode is basically choose a guy or gal (can be a CAW) and win enough matches, win a #1 contender match and beat the champion and win the belt while you gain stat points for what you do in a match.

Archived