• Smackdown Vs Raw 2008
    • Smackdown Vs Raw 2007
    • Smackdown Vs Raw 2006
    • Smackdown Vs Raw
    • Smackdown Here Comes the Pain
    • Smackdown Know Your Role
    • Smackdown Shut Your Mouth
    • Smackdown Just Bring It
  2. 2. Best Wrestling Video Game Franchise?

• Smackdown
    • Other - Specify By Posting Name

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well, I think [b]Here Comes The Pain[/b] is the coolest one. I bought it last may and I haven't been disappointed. You've got total freedom. There's a LOOOT of stuff to do : entertaining season mode which doesn't repeats itself, 6 interactive backstage zones where you can have fun, a big roster, immense variety of moves, some cool matches we don't have anymore, many secondary attires, aggressive AI, great and complete gameplay with the introduction of lockups, strong grapples, new reversal system (better than the old one, but too easy in my opinion). CAWs are ugly but globally, i believe it's the best smackdown game. My vote goes for it.

[b]SVR 2006[/b] : The in-match gameplay isn't enough dynamic. Some things are too slow. I like stamina and pre-match minigames. The online was HUUUGE ! I remember the good times i had there. I think the gameplay was adapted for online gaming, at the expense of quickness, fun, kinda crazy combinations and all that shit.

[b]SVR 2007[/b] : A brand new gameplay. Perfect for online !!! We could have fantasticly balanced standing wrestling. Ground and aerial moves were still overeasy to counter but apart from that, it was amazing. The problem is that there wasn't as much content as in previous games.

[b]SVR 2008/2009[/b] : No comment. I'd like to forget these two *censored*ing years Yuke's made me spend. The major problem were strong grapples : way too easy to reverse. It was sloooooww, so people had nothing else to do than keeping running and FoF'ing all the time.

[b]2010[/b] brings back the series to something decent. In fact, it's more than decent. Ich really really does likez da games. HOWEVER, THQ/Yuke's always miss something each year. And this year, it's none other than ONLINE FREAKIN SERVERS, which really really does süückzs. Playing online has become impossible. All you can do is sharing your little caws, videos and storylines (create-a-storyline sucks, by the way). Why can't we PLAY MATCHES online ? It's the first thing people wanna do in a wrestling game : FIGHT. The unacceptable 2-second delay kills it. I can't play. To me, there is no online. AI isn't good enough to have epic matches alone. Some new moves remind me of HCTP. The best SVR so far but only the 2nd or 3rd (I haven't played SYM yet) of teh smackdown seriesz.

I'd have to say

1. WWE SmackDown! Here Comes The Pain
2. WWE SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role
3. WWE SmackDown! vs Raw 2006
4. WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth
5. WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2010
6. WWE SmackDown!
7. WWE SmackDown vs Raw
8. WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2008
9. WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2007
10. WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2009
11. WWE SmackDown! Just Bring It

HCTP was and is undoubtedly the king of the SD series. Best in-ring mechanics and gameplay, backstage arena access chained through the actual arena (last one to do so), and a fairly decent story mode make this game great. But the roster of HCTP simply obliterates any other put together on a SD game. The undisputed champion of SmackDown gaming.

SD2 was always an innovator in the series. The multiplayer season, decent sized roster, rankings and title divisions, decent selection of matches for its time, the BEST season mode in a SD game and the fact that it was released when the WWE was red hot in the ratings all make it the second best of the series in my opinion. The game has aged well and is popular with many even to this day.

SvR 2006 is possibly the best SmackDown game in terms of content outside of in-ring action. The best challenge mode of the series, a respectable create-a-title feature, the first create-an-entrance feature, stables that could hold up to five superstars, the first GM Mode of the series, one of the better online modes of the series, and a enjoyable roster put SvR 2006 3rd overall for me, and 1st in the SvR part of the series.

SYM was a very good game its in time with a roster secondary only to the mighty HCTP roster. It added the ability to reverse and steal finishers for the first time, added an extended season mode, was the first SD game to include all PPV and TV show arenas used by WWE in the game, the only game to contain the nWo, the introduction of Superstar points in Season mode, had the largest set of alternate attires in any SD game, and was also the first SD game which allowed you to dive off of a titantron. SYM was an outstanding game often overlooked when discussing great SD games.

SvR 2010 was a good refreshment to the series after the lacklustre efforts following SvR 2006. A re-engineered system utilising a one button reversal system, and the ability to chain wrestle by reversing different grapples such as waistlocks, collar-and-elbow tie-ups and side headlocks and transitioning between these holds, along with other nuances such as the seperate struggle submissions and non-compulsory full control grapples, allows the grappling system to shine with a variety unseen since No Mercy. The addition of Royal Rumble finishers, plancha moves from both the ropes and the ring skirts, smaller ability sets (limiting them in number that can be utilised at a time), the ability to create both front on and aerial finishers, a much more realistic H.U.D., the addition of WWE rivals, the revamped CAW mode including the innovative paint tool, the addition of superstar threads, and the create-a-storyline mode all make this the best in the series since SvR 2006.

WWE SmackDown! was the foundation of the series that changed the direction of wrestling video games. Introducing a simpler, faster arcade paced system in comparison to other games around the turn of the century (No Mercy or Attitude) allowed a new experience for wrestling gamers. The original SD was the first WWF game to utilise backstage areas and an extensive season mode. A simple direction plus grapple or attack system, with one-button reversals made the games simple yet effective in use. However the no-selling of moves which is also present in SD2 can be frustrating at times.

The remainder of the games had some nice features but were often overshadowed by flaws of deficiencies which consequently dampened the gaming experience. The most extreme of these was JBI, which is considered by many, including myself, to be the stinker of the series. It was an utter disappointment on its release and most certainly has not aged well in comparison to the rest of the series.

As far as other games outside of this series my only mention goes to No Mercy, which sits on par with HCTP if not above it. The ability to have multiple attires for the superstars in the game which were able to be customised, the most complete and endearing in-ring fighting and grappling system in wrestling video game history with the most competitive CPU in modern wrestling video game history, and a completely unique and deep story mode made No Mercy the king of ALL wrestling games bar none.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Here Comes The Pain.

When SVR came I was disappointed but I still hoped that the next game would be better. But no, it was a huge disappointmen as well. ^^ There isn't all too much to say, I just think it's dull how they have limited the games and removed fun features. They seem to be aiming more for the realism route with the Smackdown vs Raw series but.. they aren't doing that great of a job, IMO.

• 1 month later...
i stopped playing SVR after 2007 so i have little experience of 08,09,10 ,,simply because for me it started declining and i preferred playing with a roster of wrestlers i actually liked using ,,i would put them in this order

Smackdown ! Shut your mouth - For me the best wrestling game ever made slightly better than HCTP and no mercy for me , a great season mode were you could get all kinds of rewards ,, a brilliant roster with hogan nash hbk flair all introduced into the game,,,superb royal rumble and just a fun game

Smackdown HCTP - Close close second to SYM ..this is such a fun game and i still play this a couple of times a week !! ,,elimination chamber was a great addition and the roster was fantastic , goldberg ,steiner , bischoff,cena,and legend undertaker !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived