"Report a Post" button

Karen Walker

In other forums I have posted in there is always a "report post" option at the bottom of each post so if someone is blatantly breaking rules we can just report them and it will go directly to the mods.

Is there any way we can have that here?

I just think it would be easier and more efficient instead of individually PMing a mod everything a problem comes up.

I just was looking through a thread that was hijacked by spammers.

[url="http://caws.ws/forum/index.php?showtopic=335151&st=40&p=6567656&#entry6567656"]http://caws.ws/forum/index.php?showtopic=3...p;#entry6567656[/url]

Is the above behavior really tollerated around here? I think posters like that serve no purpose in topics and just bring the quality of the forum down.

Also, when we search a members posts (or our own) why doesn't it take you to the actual post? I noticed that when you do search for a post it will take you to the first post in that thread they posted in instead of the actual post. Then you you have to serach for the post and if the thread is 5 or more pages long it can be annoying. Anyway to fix that?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining. Just some things I was wondering about.

That button was removed because it was being abused for the stupidest things and wasting the Staff's time having to look at every report. So they rather have a topic made and that way once it is dealt with they can see that by it being locked. SO instead of wasting time looking into it they can get to the next report easily. You are not suppose to be pm'ing the admins/mods unless they tell you to btw, it will slow down your help time and/or be ignored too, once again bringing us back to the Website & Forum section where the reports go.

[quote]CAWs.ws Help Board

Welcome to the CAWs.ws Help Board. You should use this board to tell us about problems and get help from other members.

Problems with our main website and our other websites can also be reported here.

Once your topic has been posted, please allow 24 hours before bumping it. If after 48 hours you still do not have a reply, send an email to forum@caws.ws with a link to your topic. Sometimes delays can occur dealing with certain reports, as only a limited number of people have access. Please bear with us and be patient.

[b]Please do not PM the Admins or Moderators directly unless they ask you to, as this will delay your problem being resolved.[/b]

If you have a feature suggestion, please use the Feedback Board.[/quote]

I'd think that the Feedback & Suggestions board that's in place now works sufficiently enough, especially with the amount of wannabe mods that are here. Things that are against the rules are usually reported quickly. I'm not sure how much faster the little button would make things. I don't believe that it allows for explanation while the forum that's in place now does.

And for the searching posts thing... When you search for a post, you'll be brought to all the messages the user has posted. If you look under each message, there's some things like "forum", "post preview", "replies", and "views". Click on the number next to "post preview". While that won't bring you to the exact post, that will take you to the exact page where the message has been posted.

[quote name='Ollie The Magic Bum' post='6569878' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:09 PM']I'd think that the Feedback & Suggestions board that's in place now works sufficiently enough, especially with the amount of wannabe mods that are here. Things that are against the rules are usually reported quickly. I'm not sure how much faster the little button would make things. I don't believe that it allows for explanation while the forum that's in place now does.

And for the searching posts thing... When you search for a post, you'll be brought to all the messages the user has posted. If you look under each message, there's some things like "forum", "post preview", "replies", and "views". Click on the number next to "post preview". While that won't bring you to the exact post, that will take you to the exact page where the message has been posted.[/quote]
Every forum I have used that had the "report a post" feature made you specify a reason I believe but I can totally see how idiots would abuse it and report anything and everything, which in case I'd say they'd deserve a warning/banning.

As far as the search a post thing, I was aware of the "post preview" thing but it doesn't really help me because I'd need to be able to see the thread from the point that post was made, so I could see all posts after it and if it was replied to or not. So I guess the only option is skimming through the thread and finding the post.

It really is not a big issue with me. I was just curious if anyone else felt that way or if the mods cared to make a change to that because it's a little tedious searching through the thread and takes some time.

[quote name='Sultan' post='6569942' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:48 AM']As far as the search a post thing, I was aware of the "post preview" thing but it doesn't really help me because I'd need to be able to see the thread from the point that post was made, so I could see all posts after it and if it was replied to or not. So I guess the only option is skimming through the thread and finding the post.[/quote]

No, if you click the number next to the "post preview" thing in the search results, it takes you right to the post. Doesn't appear to work all the time in Opera though.

We don't need a freaking report button that just takes it to a level of [b]OOOOOOh I'm telling[/b] like were 5 years old. We don't need busy bodies running around the boards reporting everything under the sun because they had a bad day. The forum is good enough as it is, this has already been done before didn't work so NO...

[quote name='(JαK)' post='6572269' date='Sep 4 2009, 04:32 PM']We don't need a freaking report button that just takes it to a level of [b]OOOOOOh I'm telling[/b] like were 5 years old. We don't need busy bodies running around the boards reporting everything under the sun because they had a bad day. The forum is good enough as it is, this has already been done before didn't work so NO...[/quote]
I agree. You can just click the post number thing and it copies the post.

I think that we should do something similar to this, but in a way that I'm not sure is do-able. I think that we should have a "close" button available to normal users, needing 10 users to agree to get a topic closed. In this way I think we would be able to avoid the worst spamming while mods are not available. Just an idea to consider though. I know it is partially flawed if something is controversial but breaks no rules.

[quote name='Campaign For Liberty' post='6578598' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:27 PM']I think that we should do something similar to this, but in a way that I'm not sure is do-able. I think that we should have a "close" button available to normal users, needing 10 users to agree to get a topic closed. In this way I think we would be able to avoid the worst spamming while mods are not available. Just an idea to consider though. I know it is partially flawed if something is controversial but breaks no rules.[/quote]

Are you kidding...10 people! Ok so if 40 people go into a topic and 10 of them don't really like it. It's closed???? Nothing against you but dumb idea dude.

[quote name='Campaign For Liberty' post='6578598' date='Sep 5 2009, 11:27 PM']I think that we should do something similar to this, but in a way that I'm not sure is do-able. I think that we should have a "close" button available to normal users, needing 10 users to agree to get a topic closed. In this way I think we would be able to avoid the worst spamming while mods are not available. Just an idea to consider though. I know it is partially flawed if something is controversial but breaks no rules.[/quote]

Something like that was implemented at GameFAQs a long time ago. If a certain number of users marked a message for moderation, it automatically deleted the message or suspended the user or something. Well, long story short, a bunch of people abused it and ended up getting CJayC (the original GameFAQs owner) suspended. Stuff like that never, ever works. People just can't be trusted to use them the way they're meant to be used.

There should be a report button for all the infractions in my opinion, because when we report something in the Website & Forum Help it can be seen by anyone and sometimes we want to make it private because it happened to some being called snitch and stuff like that as it also occupies too much space in the forums, so I think that section should be for just posting problems concerning the site instead of resports.

Also If there is any kind of problem concerning the abuse of this option then a new rule would come to the list: "If someone abuses the report button, that person gets warned", simple as that.

[quote name='Campaign For Liberty' post='6578598' date='Sep 5 2009, 09:27 PM']I think that we should do something similar to this, but in a way that I'm not sure is do-able. I think that we should have a "close" button available to normal users, needing 10 users to agree to get a topic closed. In this way I think we would be able to avoid the worst spamming while mods are not available. Just an idea to consider though. I know it is partially flawed if something is controversial but breaks no rules.[/quote]
TO be honest I think that's a bad idea because I don't think a topic should be closed due to people being idiots and trying to hijack a thread or breaking rules.

I think a forum public to everyone isn't the best way to report problems unless it's only able to be seen by the mods and the person posting the thread.

In one forum I go to if you have an issue and make a thread in their "Site Help" forum, only you and the mods can see the thread you made; other posters can't get involved and throw in their two cents on every issue. It seems like if you report someone breaking rules it will just lead to more problems with them and anyone else who is friends with them and eventually leads to even more unwanted drama.

[quote name='† Volrath †' post='6585951' date='Sep 7 2009, 12:01 PM']There should be a report button for all the infractions in my opinion, because when we report something in the Website & Forum Help it can be seen by anyone and sometimes we want to make it private because it happened to some being called snitch and stuff like that as it also occupies too much space in the forums, so I think that section should be for just posting problems concerning the site instead of resports.

Also If there is any kind of problem concerning the abuse of this option then a new rule would come to the list: "If someone abuses the report button, that person gets warned", simple as that.[/quote]
Exactly. This is my point. Having it be a public forum just leads to more drama.

I think the "report a post" button is a good idea and you should have to type in an explanation. If someone abuses the report a post button then they should get warnings themselves for wasting the mods time but I really don't know if it would work. Just a thought.

[quote name='(JαK)' post='6572269' date='Sep 5 2009, 05:32 AM']We don't need a freaking report button that just takes it to a level of [b]OOOOOOh I'm telling[/b] like were 5 years old. We don't need busy bodies running around the boards reporting everything under the sun because they had a bad day. The forum is good enough as it is, this has already been done before didn't work so NO...[/quote]
Sorry, but that comment sounds so stupid, infact you sound like a 5 year old.

Report a post buttons do actually work, and the fact is, mods don't respond quick enough to reports. I've been on a forum with over a million people, and it works just fine.

[quote name='Beast And The Harlot' post='6611242' date='Sep 13 2009, 10:24 AM']If we had this buttons, lots of people would report other people just for kicks or because they don't like that user or something.

So this is a stupid idea.[/quote]
Not a stupid idea. Just stupid people would abuse the idea, but that's a bigger problem in and of itself.

[quote name='iSlash' post='6618336' date='Sep 14 2009, 06:07 PM'][quote name='(JαK)' post='6572269' date='Sep 5 2009, 05:32 AM']We don't need a freaking report button that just takes it to a level of [b]OOOOOOh I'm telling[/b] like were 5 years old. We don't need busy bodies running around the boards reporting everything under the sun because they had a bad day. The forum is good enough as it is, this has already been done before didn't work so NO...[/quote]

Report a post buttons do actually work, and the fact is, mods don't respond quick enough to reports. I've been on a forum with over a million people, and it works just fine.
[/quote]

And yet we tried it HERE and obviously it didn't work so before you insult me I suggest you [b]SHUT UP![/b] and face facts that this idea obviously doesn't work.

[quote name='(JαK)' post='6657775' date='Sep 24 2009, 03:15 PM'][quote name='iSlash' post='6618336' date='Sep 14 2009, 06:07 PM'][quote name='(JαK)' post='6572269' date='Sep 5 2009, 05:32 AM']We don't need a freaking report button that just takes it to a level of [b]OOOOOOh I'm telling[/b] like were 5 years old. We don't need busy bodies running around the boards reporting everything under the sun because they had a bad day. The forum is good enough as it is, this has already been done before didn't work so NO...[/quote]

[/quote]

And yet we tried it HERE and obviously it didn't work so before you insult me I suggest you [b]SHUT UP![/b] and face facts that this idea obviously doesn't work.
[/quote]
It works, if most of the forums have this system why wouldn't this one? Besides we need to keep the reports private, being called snitch every time is not what will make this forum peacefull.

[quote name='† Volrath †' post='6669961' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:52 PM'][b]It works, if most of the forums have this system why wouldn't this one?[/b] Besides we need to keep the reports private, being called snitch every time is not what will make this forum peacefull.[/quote]
You clearly didn't read JaK's post. IT HAS BEEN USED HERE, and it didn't work.

So that's the end of that.

*closed*

[quote name='Odyssey' post='6669974' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:56 AM'][quote name='† Volrath †' post='6669961' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:52 PM'][b]It works, if most of the forums have this system why wouldn't this one?[/b] Besides we need to keep the reports private, being called snitch every time is not what will make this forum peacefull.[/quote]
You clearly didn't read JaK's post. IT HAS BEEN USED HERE, and it didn't work.

So that's the end of that.

*closed*
[/quote]
I know that, it probably didn't work because the system was bad or the mods didn't warned those who abused of it, if they warn abusers of the report buttom it will work for sure, I have seen larger communities such as Gaia Online with more than 90000 twats in wich the report buttom was not abused.

Here is the fact, We actually did try this about a year ago, and the fact was it was to confusing as it sends the report to all the staff members, then we do not know exactly what is taken care o, how it is taken care of, and who exactly takes care of it and what not. It was more of a hassle then a benefit. The Reports board we have now works fine :cool:

Archived