What's so great about No Mercy?

GODstandard

It's probably the nostalgia that influences people more-so than anything in that games preference over others. It is a big factor for me lol. BUT here are some reasons:

1. You can knock down someone off a ladder/a free standing ladder with: diving turnbuckle move, running move, apron jumping attack, irish whipping opponent into it, punching it, throwing a weapon into it

2. You can throw any weapon you want, anywhere, over/into the ring, on top of tables, into set up ladders

3. The game is reasonably hard to win considering you cannot ever gain a pin fall unless you have done a special (takes a few good minutes to reach) and the opponent is on the lightest blue of blue dying health. Even then if it is early in a match, the AI will kick out or you can kick out still.

4. Huge variety of grapple/attack/apron/diving/outside apron/corner grapple moves, and a Japanese moves in there too.

5. Easy CAW creating.

6. Easy use of hacks through emulators

7. Very easy to play on the actual N64 controls. I only ever play it on N64, can't do emulated keyboard since it feels cramped.

8. First game to have ability to do any move through the announce table.

9. Big backstage area to fight in and explore. Loads of weapon types.

10. Easy to do and large range of tag team moves able to do anywhere.

You can see for a few reasons why the game has a few ups over the SVR series. It's a bit harder, has some awesome features in the ladder matches. It does not feature things like:

- Pulling a wooden table out of anywhere to use
- Doing moves off ladder onto table
- Hell In A Cell not available

It is still immensely fun. Last time I had a chance to play it with a friend we played one match for 40 minutes trying to win a ladder match but kept missile drop kicking each other off the ladder or throwing the steel stairs into the ladder before we got a chance to grab the title lol. Then we got onto a cage match for another 30 minutes :spas:

Also the story mode, yeah there weren't any voice overs and stuff, but you had a lot of choices you could make, they were very long (in a good way), and your actions reflected out comes. For example I remember you had a hardcore match with someone, if you hit them with weapons kurt angle would come out after you won and talk about how you was a wimp for using weapons, so you and him have a normal match. I went back and re-did this and didn't use any weapons, and that time when Kurt came out he said something about me being a wimp for not using weapons so you had a hardcore match with him, You had options of hiring the A.P.A for protection and so on, that's the only examples I can think of being I aint played the game in years.

[quote name='Ivandude' post='6249845' date='Jun 29 2009, 02:35 PM']It's probably the nostalgia that influences people more-so than anything in that games preference over others. It is a big factor for me lol. BUT here are some reasons:

1. You can knock down someone off a ladder/a free standing ladder with: diving turnbuckle move, running move, apron jumping attack, irish whipping opponent into it, punching it, throwing a weapon into it

2. You can throw any weapon you want, anywhere, over/into the ring, on top of tables, into set up ladders

3. The game is reasonably hard to win considering you cannot ever gain a pin fall unless you have done a special (takes a few good minutes to reach) and the opponent is on the lightest blue of blue dying health. Even then if it is early in a match, the AI will kick out or you can kick out still.

4. Huge variety of grapple/attack/apron/diving/outside apron/corner grapple moves, and a Japanese moves in there too.

5. Easy CAW creating.

7. Very easy to play on the actual N64 controls. I only ever play it on N64, can't do emulated keyboard since it feels cramped.

You can see for a few reasons why the game has a few ups over the SVR series. It's a bit harder, has some awesome features in the ladder matches. It does not feature things like:

It is still immensely fun. Last time I had a chance to play it with a friend we played one match for 40 minutes trying to win a ladder match but kept missile drop kicking each other off the ladder or throwing the steel stairs into the ladder before we got a chance to grab the title lol. Then we got onto a cage match for another 30 minutes :spas:[/quote]

Nice reply, makes me want to check out the game. Don't have an N64 though, so that's a barrier D:

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='.EdrD' post='6256735' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:07 AM'][quote name='Ivandude' post='6249845' date='Jun 29 2009, 02:35 PM']It's probably the nostalgia that influences people more-so than anything in that games preference over others. It is a big factor for me lol. BUT here are some reasons:

5. Easy CAW creating.

It is still immensely fun. Last time I had a chance to play it with a friend we played one match for 40 minutes trying to win a ladder match but kept missile drop kicking each other off the ladder or throwing the steel stairs into the ladder before we got a chance to grab the title lol. Then we got onto a cage match for another 30 minutes :spas:[/quote]

Nice reply, makes me want to check out the game. Don't have an N64 though, so that's a barrier D:
[/quote]
Emulators like PJ64 help that problem.

I have the game for N64 and on P64, and edited it into a ECW arena on emulator, and it's one of the best games ever. I have 4 SVR games (SVR 05 and SVR 08 are my faves in SVR series don't have 09 yet, others being 06 and 07), 2 other smackdown games (Just Bring It and Shut Your Mouth, both VERY good), warzone (one of the worst games I've ever played), Raw (the first one, another VERY bad game), Attitude (another VERY bad game), Wrestlemania 2000 (Good, but not as good as No mercy) and No Mercy. No Mercy is by far better than all of these. The controls are fun, and easy, but the matches are hard, which is good. I love making CAWs on there, they're very easy to make, as opposed to any proceeding SD or SVR games. The only thing is that they don't have full entrances, but you can hack that in with Gameshark.

• 1 month later...
to be honest. & no flamming my personal opinion here.

I think No Mercy is way overated for its own good & actually isnt that good of a game.
I played it & i was like "this was the big hype pffft". Its really not that amazing to me at all & i dont see the big who ha over it. The storyline wasnt that special & unique, sure it was different to what other wrestling games were doing at the time but it wasnt milk & cookies.

Im [s]Jim Cornette[/s] The Big Shot T.M.D & Thats My Opinion

• 2 weeks later...

Archived