The D's advice on CAW making.

The D

This is quite a long read.

[url="http://caws.ws/forum/index.php?showtopic=216353"]Also read Zurick's CAW guide.[/url]

Now, this is a PM that I just sent to StacysMikeyBoy. I know he won't mine me posting this, but I feel it's important that CAW makers take a look at this. I'm not doing this because I think I'm the best, I'm posting it because anyone who's looking to continue making CAWs, or starting making CAWs in '09 needs to know this. I got taught a lot through Zurick and WolfgangJT (sometimes in a damn harsh way, at my own fault). Zurick had a CAW guide a few years back and even though a lot of people won't give a toss about this, some will and I hope some will find it useful.

Here's the PM I sent:..

[b][i]"Mikey, there is no trick to CAW making, as you know. There is only one key thing you need to do to ensure that you get your CAWs to the highest of standards and that is to use your eyes. I've said it time and time again to people (including you). Using the most accurate things possible in the CAW mode is vital.

Giving someone hair they never had, or an off hair colour isn't acceptable as far as the general public go. You need to use and trust your eyes. There's many more things to learn but the more time you spend practicing, the more time you spend in the CAW mode and the most important one, the more time you spend listening to people the better you will get.

You know as well as I do that I've changed since you knew me in '06, but I'm not gonna' sugar coat stuff anymore. You know that as well as anyone. Lying to have friends isn't the way to go. You get friends from shooting your shit straight and that's what I'm doing.

Anything I said, I damn well mean and I'm done wasting my breath with people. My advice is there for the people that want it and I know you do which is why I've continued to give you harsh and deliberate feedback.

The most memberable one was 'Tugboat'. You know what I thought of that CAW and you know why. It was a waste of room on your harddrive. You posted a picture of Tugboat and then your CAW. Don't just post the picture so people know what he looks like, use it as a ref' pic. Tugboat didn't have a 90 inch neck, and it was no-where that big compared to rest of his body. You even had the stripes going the opposite way to the ref' pic you posted.

Remember, the best way to achieve something isn't always the easy way. Use your head when you're making these people. For Rikishi (and I know I have more layers to use than you) I used WWE designs 'WrestleMania' for the facial hair. Why ? Because the shaping on the templates weren't correct, and wouldn't colour properly. You need to use your head. Look at Mustacio's CAWs for the PS3. That guy is insane with 32 layers. He comes up with things that I sometimes doubt I could recreate in 64 layers. I know for a fact that he's been shooting straight with you aswell. I know when you actually concentrate you can produce nice work, but your lack in concentration is your downfall. When you focus, when you gather as many ref' pics as you can then you're good. When you half ass a CAW from memory, and just randomly move the sliders, you're not good. You're diabolical, and in fairness ANYONE who was doing that would be.

One last time I'm gonna' plead with you to take note of things. Body morphing is just as important as anything else on a CAW. Back in 2006 I spent about 14 hours on that RVD face. I am not suggesting that you spend 14 hours on each of your CAWs (I sure don't) but you need to realise that putting the time in will produce great work. I spent a good hour doing the eyes on my Rock CAW. I looked at the shape, the eye bags, the distancing, the shading, everything. You NEED to take this level of care, pride and detail in your work. People that are telling you you're doing great at the moment are bullshitting. Your work has been consistantly below the par you should be at, and that is due to carelessness. So, one more time..

- Gather as many ref' pics as you can.

- Colours are just as important as ANYTHING. If the colours are wrong then it won't look like that person.

- Don't add make up and designs for the sheer hell of it. You need to use them properly and accurately.

- Accuracy again is the key. Giving someone a hair style they never used is fine if you're not showing anyone, but when you are people will ridicule the hair choice. If you can't find a decent hair then preview it bald.

- When you're previewing a CAW, try updating the first post with the latest update so the topic doesn't become muddled. Declare when you're made an update using the topic title. Full edit is there for that reason. If the update is always in the first post then people won't get confused.

- Never, ever, ever, ever make a CAW from memory. None of it. Not an attire, not the face, not detailing.. Nothing.

- Don't just put on any old attire. A CAW is a CAW and attires are just as important.

Remember these things Mikey, they're extremely important. I hope to see you in '09 and I sure as hell hope you listen to me Mikey, as I don't wanna' keep saying it again and again."[/i][/b]

Now, this doesn't just go for Mikey. This goes for anyone and everyone. Time and time again I've seen half assed, mediocre CAWs and then to top it all off, people don't want to listen to the people giving suggestions. How do you think people make anything better ? None of the top name creaters just stumbled upon being good, it takes practice, patience and you [b]have to listen to people[/b]. If anyone wants advice, or has any questions that they wanna' ask me in the course of 2009 then I'll make it known now that my advice and suggestions are there for the people that want them. I hope this stands for any top creator as people that are serious about doing it and want to learn should have someone, or some[i]people[/i] to learn from.

[b]If you have any questions just PM me.[/b]

Thank you for your time and I hope you found this useful.

Thanks for the post D. Sure it will help a lot of people (including me because I'll admit I do get lazy with CAWs sometimes).

And Dick Dan why do you insist on being such an a**hole? D is trying to help everyone on the boards by posting this and then you come in with your smart ass comment. Seriously this forum would be much better off without you.

Guest GoreMachine
This will help me out to thanks The D as for Dick face all he comments on other ppls topics is ewwwwwww! and its like he expects help from other ppl on his caws.The D thank you for the help this will help out alot..

With all due respect to the last few comments made: Will you guys agree to simply disagree. I mean D took it upon himself to donate time to post this and I'll tell you something should a few spammer ruin this to where it gets closed off bet your bottom dollar pay checks D won't be bothered stepping out on a limb for the younger generation of caw makers like he's done thus far here. he'd be a total fool to do that for guys who don't appreciate what he is trying and willing to do. Make no mistakes about it D and I go way way way back to an earlier time as Mods and bros on Msn. I know him probably beter then most here replying do. Yeah we clashed majorly this yr and I'm not alone here in that but here's the deal: Destrucktor, the D or whatever you all know him Best as comes right in your face when it comes to cawing and you younger guys as well as myself didn't Like it and called him a Hardass. Truth??? The fact is Guys like D Come "HARD" not because they find it Cool to be an ass but because they are passionate about creating. The downside has been aired public of younger guys and myself included having a Pride issue and misconstrode the advice and Striaght up in your face no BS sugar coat. That's the problem right there. We tend to let pride blind us to reality of what needed saying. Pride is an ugly ugly thing anyhow Don't ruin this topic guys and everyone should give D credit for what he's doing for the entire cawing community not just 360 makers or ps3 but us all.

Guest GoreMachine
I agree with u Mikey i hope i didnt put it the wrong way im behind the D i would love to see the D on the ps3 that be awsome i think...With his caw skills on the ps3 i think that would be awsome.

[quote name='GoreMachine' post='5231670' date='Nov 2 2008, 03:19 AM']I agree with u Mikey i hope i didnt put it the wrong way im behind the D i would love to see the D on the ps3 that be awsome i think...With his caw skills on the ps3 i think that would be awsome.[/quote]

It's not happening. :(

Me, D, and X were all going to PS3 this year, and work on some saves with Mustacio, but not now.

and to add to the "help" part of this topic...

when looking for face ref. pics, try to find the ones that show the least amount of emotion. Sometimes, you'll find face pics of guys with no emotion, but for the most part, they have some kind of emotion(smile, frown, surprised, excited, etc.) Reason being, for setting the eyes, mouth, cheeks, eyebrows, jawline.

Practice - can't be said enough. You won't become great overnight, & if you can't listen to advise, or take constructive criticism, or have patience, then you really don't need to be posting caws here on this site. There have been too many fights, flames, spamming, etc. & we've lost some good creators, that were willing to give advice, help you out with what they could, & such. But we've seen time after time ppl that can't take criticism too well,or think someone is trying to down someone's work, & other things that have gotten ppl banned, suspended, or just left. You need to understand one thing, & always keep this in mind, this is NOT A COMPETITION!!!

I mean, I've been coming to this site since damn near the begininng of this site(stumbled across this search the net a few yrs. ago), but just became a member in 2007. I haven't always been as good as I am now(& I'm still getting better), & I've always tried to be respectful & listen to what anyone has had to say about my work, good & bad... I've just took it all in & kept practicing. I like to make wrestlers, & will continue to do so for as long as I can, but I hope ppl can just get over themselves sometimes & just keep working at creations, taking advice,etc... cause I like everyone here, with a few exceptions, & I would like everyone to keep this CAW stuff going....

thank you...

[quote name='John T' post='5231347' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:27 AM']So....... is anyone like Apocalypse, WillyZ, and whoever going to be creating for PS2 besides Old School for SVR09? I'm stuck with PS2 for good. Well personally, I hope and pray Deyla stays with PS2, she was one of the best for PS2 I have to admit. We need someone to stay like Deyla! Thanks[/quote]
I am. I'm also gonna stop doing half-arse caws for '09.

Thanks for the advice D.

Just on '09. I played the game yesterday for Xbox 360 and Hair #1 from 2007 is back.

Lets cut the crap and be honest. There's a major and I mean Major difference between the way guys like D got about things and others here intentionally pushing crap like how some here in the caw areas make a topic and Blanlty bagger pple with snide comments to indeed rip down a caw and quite honestly I'm sick of seeing younger guys make a topic only to have a guy here guy there being childish and saying comments like it looks like so and so. That's total BS and not one ounce of it tell as caw maker what needs fixing. Hell look at what occured here Wolfgang and Zurick were like the elite tandom and we all know the road that went and why. Rather sad when ego's and petty bs kills what great fun that was shared for yrs. Hopefully 2009 is a healing time and rebuilding of bridges across this forum
what ya say guys? end the BS and put the "FUN" back into creating because anyway you slice it it's only a game at the end of the day.

[quote name='Stacysmikeyboy&hearts' post='5231890' date='Nov 2 2008, 10:20 AM']Lets cut the crap and be honest. There's a major and I mean Major difference between the way guys like D got about things and others here intentionally pushing crap like how some here in the caw areas make a topic and Blanlty bagger pple with snide comments to indeed rip down a caw and quite honestly I'm sick of seeing younger guys make a topic only to have a guy here guy there being childish and saying comments like it looks like so and so. That's total BS and not one ounce of it tell as caw maker what needs fixing. Hell look at what occured here Wolfgang and Zurick were like the elite tandom and we all know the road that went and why. Rather sad when ego's and petty bs kills what great fun that was shared for yrs. Hopefully 2009 is a healing time and rebuilding of bridges across this forum
what ya say guys? end the BS and [b]put the "FUN" back into creating[/b] because anyway you slice it it's only a game at the end of the day.[/quote]

I wonder why D sent this to MikeyBoy. He was lucky when he got a PM of THE D! :P

Yeah, I don't know why would D want to be "the new Zurick". Zurick will always be Zurick to me, no matter what. The D is a great CAW maker. Is D going to PS3 or 360? I thought he said that is PS3 gets 64 layers, he would be there, but if not, he'll be on 360

Archived