Just to make it easier for viewing etc

Mediator Jobs

[u]1. Solve Disputes (the main one)[/u]
[i]
[i]Mod's usually Stop - Not Solve
And Most people think mods are
to much of an authority figure[/i]

[u]2. Welcome New members, Show them, the ropes etc.[/u]

[u]3. Keep the mod's on the ground (not let them get big heads), make sure they're being fair[/u]

[i]Another interesting example of this
was last month
while sandman10 was in that AG thread
they start arguing

Then i get involved (sandman's side)

and all MR big-shot Moderator had to say was
"Flaming in front of a mod, Smart"

an guess who dissolved the situation
The Moderator? No
A former Mod? (From what ive read) No, not him either?
No, it was Good Ol' (known then as) J_A[/i]

[u]4. If people think they got an unfair warn/ban, mediators would solve that[/u]

[u]5. Be completely Unbiased, and be more of a member of the community, than a member of staff, as to keep the link between mediators and members Existent[/u]

[i]Mediators are just gonna be normal Members
That help with disputes
they wont get to do any of the other stuff that mods to
except close topics AFTER
the issues are solved

But he thing is
its not one of those things that can be taught
Its a Skill, Some People Have it, Some People use It
Some People Have it and Use It when Needed, Some People Always Use it
JUst Like Moderators

But The kind of people who would be best suited would be People Who Have it and Use It when Needed

Thats The Kind of people that would make this forum good

and i think ive already basically gone through
why mods cant do it
[/i]
[b]Points that have been made[/b]

[b]FOR[/b]

[i]I think this a good Idea. Helping the situation instead of it being locked. I like this Idea

I love your Idea, It would be a great change to Caws.

I saw a topic with a lot of responds called "What is wrong with Caws.ws?" a[b]nd it was closed because some members had a disagreement, Instead of a Mod entering the situation and fixing it as best they can, they just closed the topic, and Really good topic might I add, Does that seem right too you?[/b]

[b]If one person starts something he should get booted or a fair warning before he gets warned. Isnt thats what usually supposed to happen? yeah but I don't see it happening[/b]. For example the were these to kids(Not mentioning names because the will cry but they know who they are) that[b] started saying stuff to me [b]about your a spammer and your hot linking and all this crap. I go down to the bottom of the section theres 2 Mods on the Section. They go and say there peace in the 1000 Pages section where i was gettting flamed then they leave. Uhhh Mod didnt seem to help. I solved the problem by leaving and that was it. I come back the next mourning going back to the old posts and there still flaming after I left. My point is Mods do absoulutly nothing sometimes. [/b]There are some mods that straight up kill you or your topic and theres some mods who actually give it a chance.

[b]might help things calm down a little over here and cause less problems.[/b]

[b] though I have seen times when members have fell out in threads and start to work it out with fairly between each other with no mention of flaming each other and mods have came in and shut to prevent "furthur flaming" which the members themselves had cut out and started to work it out fairly. That I hate, so instead of mods coming in and closing a topic "incase of furthur flaming"[/b] I would like to see them try and [b]mediate[/b] things and if that does fail, then lock the topic if the members wont see sense.

Let the people decide. This is just like Gay mariages here in Cali. [b]The people voted NO! [/b]Then these *censored* ass judges thought [b]they have a bigger voice than the people[/b] and made it legal for same sex marriages. Uhh Wrong. I say we l[b]et the people decide. Not the Mods[/b], just because[b] there ranked higher than us doesnt mean they have a bigger voice then us[/b].

[b]AGAINST[/b]

Cant a mod just pull double duty and try to solve disputes first, then if thats not working close the topic? I think thats what we do normally.

Normally the members within the topic are the reason why the topic itself gets closed though >_<. It could work but i think the current way seems to work.

well usually Mods close a topic to prevent flame wars, instead of trying to sooth off the tension as in most cases the members within the topic already have tried to sooth it off, though this is a sort of a good idea I don't see how it's needed in all honesty

I see where you're coming from. And, maybe it's something us Mods can improve on. However, trying to defuse a situation can be difficult, as it could leave to even more flaming and general spamming and would rarely sort the problem out.

If I don't recall that's what mods' are for, I don't think we need any "Mediators". Seeing as mods are supposed to help similarly to being a mediator.

The way i see it is that some members can try to mediate disputes and if that fails let mods deal with it...sound fair?

.there's no need in making official peacemakers, if people can't settle their own stupid arguments in a calm, mature fashion, the topics get closed. you only need one person to mess it up for everyone, when that person posts, that is a mod's cue to watch the topic or close it.[/i]

Whats [i]Your[/i] Choice?

Javed

I didn't close because he was getting his opinions out, I closed because of how he was getting it out by flaming us mods, admins etc. Also other members were on the verge of potentially flaming so I figured lock it so it didn't happen.

Yeah, I understood that
That topic was just an example to help bring my main idea through

But the thing is

this could potentially be an extremely good idea

I mean It works Great At school
so it would def. be effiecient to do it here

Donjyo, In the instances ive seen
Its usually Stop - Not Solve
And Most people think mods are
to much of an authority figure

Mediators are just gonna be normal Members
That help with disputes
they wont get to do any of the other stuff that mods to
except close topics AFTER
the issues are solved

[quote name='Dark Assassin' post='4383083' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:32 PM']Cold!
Nothing at all to do with my topic!
I used it as a recent Example
I could find 50 million more if i needed to
But I decided to use a more current one[/quote]

How was i cold?, i just responded back to your point with my insight.

[quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='4383079' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:32 PM']Cant a mod just pull double duty and try to solve disputes first, then if thats not working close the topic? I think thats what we do normally.[/quote]

well usually Mods close a topic to prevent flame wars, instead of trying to sooth off the tension as in most cases the members within the topic already have tried to sooth it off, though this is a sort of a good idea I don't see how it's needed in all honesty

[quote name='King Cold' post='4383127' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:37 PM'][quote name='Donjyoâ„¢' post='4383079' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:32 PM']Cant a mod just pull double duty and try to solve disputes first, then if thats not working close the topic? I think thats what we do normally.[/quote]

[/quote]

Normally the members within the topic are the reason why the topic itself gets closed though >_<. It could work but i think the current way seems to work.

I saw a topic with a lot of responds called "What is wrong with Caws.ws?" and it was closed because some memebers had a disagreement, Instead of a Mod entering the situation and fixing it as best they can, they just closed the topic, and Really good topic might I add, Does that seem right too you?

I see where you're coming from. And, maybe it's something us Mods can improve on. However, trying to defuse a situation can be difficult, as it could leave to even more flaming and general spamming and would rarely sort the problem out.

I tend not to lock topics that contain flaming, I feel deleting the posts and giving a small warning in the topic is efficient, unless of course, the topic is full of spam and flaming, then it would be pointless to keep it open.

What you have to understand is, Mods are here to keep the boards clean, and keep members happy when they are on the board. Flaming doesn't contribute to either of these.

But he thing is
its not one of those things that can be taught
Its a Skill, Some People Have it, Some People use It
Some People Have it and Use It when Needed, Some People Always Use it
JUst Like Moderators

But The kind of people who would be best suited would be People Who Have it and Use It when Needed

Thats The Kind of people that would make this forum good

and i think ive already basically gone through
why mods cant do it

^ that'd work just fine. there's no need in making official peacemakers, if people can't settle their own stupid arguments in a calm, mature fashion, the topics get closed. you only need one person to mess it up for everyone, when that person posts, that is a mod's cue to watch the topic or close it.

Well to be perfectly honest
Moderators couldn't dissolve Berocca in Water
Let alone argument

Another intresting example of this
was last month
while sandman10 was in that AG thread
they start arguing

Then i get involved (sandman's side)

and all MR big-shot Moderator had to say was
"Flaming in front of a mod, Smart"
(wont mention who, 'Cuz im nice :lol:)

an guess who dissolved the situation
The Moderator? No
A former Mod? (From what ive read) No, not him either?
No, it was Good Ol' J_A

Well moving on from story-time
Whats the harm in trying this out for a week or so?
Its Bound to look good on Caws.ws Reputation

I deeply agree with J_A. Too many Imature kids start stuff. If one person starts somthing he should get booted or a fair warning before he gets warned. Isnt thats what usually supposed to happen? yeah but I don't see it happening. For example the were these to kids(Not mentioning names because the will cry but they know who they are) that started saying stuff to me about your a spammer and your hot linking and all this crap. I go down to the bottom of the section theres 2 Mods on the Section. They go and say there peace in the 1000 Pages section where i was gettting flamed then they leave. Uhhh Mod didnt seem to help. I solved the problem by leaving and that was it. I come back the next mourning going back to the old posts and there still flaming after I left. My point is Mods do absoulutly nothing sometimes. There are some mods that straight up kill you or your topic and theres some mods who actually give it a chance. Uhh Mediators on Caws would be a good idea. J_A For Mediator and The WIN!

[quote name='©LYPSE12™-Bone Thugs 4Life' post='4396730' date='Jun 6 2008, 09:39 AM']I deeply agree with J_A. Too many Imature kids start stuff. If one person starts somthing he should get booted or a fair warning before he gets warned. Isnt thats what usually supposed to happen? yeah but I don't see it happening. For example the were these to kids(Not mentioning names because the will cry but they know who they are) that started saying stuff to me about your a spammer and your hot linking and all this crap. I go down to the bottom of the section theres 2 Mods on the Section. They go and say there peace in the 1000 Pages section where i was gettting flamed then they leave. Uhhh Mod didnt seem to help. I solved the problem by leaving and that was it. I come back the next mourning going back to the old posts and there still flaming after I left. [b]My point is Mods do absoulutly nothing sometimes. There are some mods that straight up kill you or your topic and theres some mods who actually give it a chance.[/b] Uhh Mediators on Caws would be a good idea. J_A For Mediator and The WIN![/quote]

Then contact the mod of the section... Or leave a report, and let others look into it if you are upset. That's what mods are for... To help the forum a happier place for you to be... If you are unhappy, let it be known.

Another Example Of Mediating genius
[url="http://caws.ws/forum/index.php?showtopic=228938&st=0&p=4147466&#entry4147466"]http://caws.ws/forum/index.php?showtopic=2...p;#entry4147466[/url]
(post 10)

OT: does the SvR07 forum have a Mod?

Archived