A note on posting news reports

Guest RJT

[quote][b]Credit:[/b] ProWrestlingUltraNews.com

Our sources have told us that Sharkboy is getting heat backstage in TNA over his new "Stone Cold" gimmick. Alot of talent believe it is unproductive, and makes the company seem like a parody rather than a serious wrestling promotion.[/quote]

How many of you actually believed that? No seriously, how many? Because I just made that report up.

One of the main problems with the wrestling section on these forums right now is that people seem to believe any wrestling report that is posted. Regardless of the source or the validity, if it's put inside a fancy quote box and sourced it suddenly becomes 'fact'.

The truth is that only around 20% of wrestling reports are actually true, and the ones that are true have probably been exaggerated or spun to get more hits for the site that reported it. Wrestling "news" reporters aren't proper journalists, they're fiction writers. Their job depends upon the amount of hits their site recieves, so to be honest, they don't give a damn about truth or reporting accurately.

That's one of the main reasons why you must not believe every wrestling report that's posted on a "news" site. For example, recently there's been this whole fiasco about Samoa Joe's TNA contract.
[i]
"Samoa Joe's contract expires in June this year"
"Samoa Joe looks like he is considering an offer from the WWE"[/i]

People on this forum are actually believing reports like this...They have no idea where the source came from, but they still somehow believe it? A proper source would be Samoa Joe himself. This is what he personally said in an interview:

[quote]"It's not so much frustration, but it's funny. I first heard [the rumors] when I came to work, to TNA. I came to the taping and I think BG James threw a comment at me, something like, 'Hey look, there's the 50 thousand dollar man' or something. Someone laughed and I kind of looked at him and said, 'What does that mean' and he said that the big rumor on the Internet was that you wanted to leave TNA to sign a $50,000 WWE developmental deal. I kind of looked around and said, 'What!'

Honestly, that's pretty stupid. I don't know why I'd work three times as hard for a fraction of what I'm making now. It definitely was an unfounded rumor. I guess it was a slow news week day and someone said, 'Oh, let's make something up.'

As far as there being any truth to the rumors, none at all. I'm still signed to TNA for a few more years now and last time I checked, contracts are still legally binding, so I'm good to go."[/quote]

Now that is a [i]reliable[/i] source. Sources like that are what you can and should believe, not some dirtsheet writer looking to up his salary.

Now let's address the issue of dirtsheet sources. I assume 95% of people on these forums have no idea how wrestling news sites get their sources (yet they still believe them...). I'll explain. The biggest wrestling news sites (Wrestling Observer, PW Torch etc) get their information from informers inside wrestling organisations. These can be wrestlers, staff or anyone else who is "in the know".

Why do wrestlers give out information to these sites? Mainly because they want to get good reports and feedback on the internet and with the IWC. But even so, these informers are [i]extremely[/i] unreliable, as they mainly give out their own opinion/perspective rather than the actual truth. That's why you should never believe backstage morale reports, as they could be reported by one wrestler (who just happens to be pissed off). That wrestler's opinion is probably not typical of the entire organisation...

Remember all those "CM Punk in the doghouse" reports? Again, it's likely to be reported by one single wrestler who just so happens not to get on with Punk. It's not a typical source, which is why most dirtsheet reports are so retarded.

As I said earlier, these unreliable sources often get twisted even further (for the sake of getting more hits), but even worse than that, they get taken and adjusted by leech sites. Leech news sites are the most unreliable wrestling news sites online (and that's saying something, as even the "proper" wrestling news sites are useless most of the time). They have no sources of their own, they simply copy news reports and spice them up a bit to make them more entertaining. Even worse than that, they often make up stories for the sake of getting hits. And yet people STILL post reports from those sites on these forums.

Finally, wrestling news reporters often express their opinion rather than actual fact; however they'll cleverly make their opinion look like an actual news report. Brian Alvarez is a classic example of this. The funny thing is, even if they openly admitted that their reports were just opinions, the reports would still be useless. Most dirtsheet writers have never even stepped inside a wrestling ring before, let alone run a wrestling promotion, so they have hardly any grounds on which to criticise the actions of current wrestling bookers.

So to sum up...PLEASE take all of the above into account when posting a news report, or even replying to one. Just because a news report is sourced and quoted doesn't mean it's true. I've listed some of these "news sites" below which will give you all a fairly good idea of reliability. I'm going to lock all topics which have a source from a leech site from now on, as it doesn't help anyone at the end of the day. News reports should be accurate, and people have a right not to be misinformed.

Cheers.

~ [color="red"][b]RJT[/b][/color]

[b]Fairly reliable:[/b] PWInsider.com, WrestlingObserver.com
[b]Often unreliable:[/b] Gerweck.net, PWTorch.com
[b]Leechers:[/b] TNAWrestlingNews.com, ProWrestling.com

Good post, it's what i'm often bashing on about is how stupid and unlikely the reports are, this should be posted in WWE Section aswell, maybe even stickied, it's pathetic how many conflicting and contradictive stories are posted every day in WWE Section about "Backstage incidents" and everyone buys right into them.

By the way, WrestlingObserver/DaveMeltzer in my experience feeds just as much crap as the rest of them and the other sites often expand on the made up stories that Meltzer comes up with, i'm sure alot of people would agree with me on that aswell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gotta agree there are a lot of people here that believe all these ''Wrestler has heat'' stories just cuz they come from Meltzer or some other supposed legit dirtsheet. When to be honest most of the stories of backstage heat are either false/lies/hearsay..dont blame people for believing it but it makes it difficult sometimes when you try to explain that most ofwhat you hear on the net isnt true.

[quote name='450 Splash' post='3875438' date='Mar 6 2008, 03:06 AM']Why is there not a topic like this in the WWE forum?[/quote]

Good point, I'd do the same there but we already have too many pinned topics there. I'll do it when we get rid of some. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived