What Would Brian Boitano Do?

OperaGhost

What would Brian Boitano do?

Posted by 1988 gold medalist Brian Boitano: Thursday, February 23 at 8:25 a.m. EST

I'm living proof that you never know how Olympic fame will manifest itself.

It seems like every time I do an interview, whether it's on the radio or TV, (sometimes when I go into an office for an appointment) the song "What would Brian Boitano do?" from South Park is played.

Several years ago, a friend of mine at a studio in Los Angeles told me about an underground, animated video that was circulating around town. In this short video, I was portrayed as myself, breaking up a fight between Jesus and Santa Claus.

This little video eventually evolved into the South Park television series and subsequently a full-length movie. In the movie, I was featured again, this time with the song "What would Brian Boitano do?"

I was both amused and flattered by the song, and it created a whole new set of fans; mostly young people who watch the show and know absolutely nothing about ice skating.

BrianBoitano.com

One hundred percent of proceeds from T-shirt sales will go to charity.
In fact, one time a friend introduced me to his 15-year-old brother, who said "Hey, aren’t you the guy on South Park?" When asked if he knew what I did for a living, the kid said "no, but he’s in South Park!"

South Park enthusiasts are always asking me if I have a shirt with the saying on it. Since I have been asked so much, I decided to have one designed. I sell it on my website , with 100 percent of the proceeds going to a youth program.

I plan to send the South Park guys a shirt. Maybe someday I will actually meet them

It's no suprise to me that he liked the song and was cool with it. It benefitted him when you think about it,I had no clue who in the blue hell he was until I saw that movie,afterwards I looked him up on the internet....I'm willing to bet thousands more did as well.

The song gave him a bit of spot light and as long as people remember the song,they'll remember Brian Boitano.....why wouldn't he like it?

Archived