2006 vs. HCTP

evanft

So, I'm finally looking to pick up a Smackdown game for my PS2, and HCTP and 2006 seems to be the two right up my alley. Both games seem to have a lot of positive opinions about them. HCTP's gameplay gets a lot of praise, which I like, but 2006's features and extras get a lot of praise as well. So which one should I get first, if I had to choose just one? Of course, I could always buy both, but I'd still like to hear some opinions from some more hardcore SD fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ahh, this is [b]Hard[/b]
Both games are really good, Probally the two best Games for the PS2, Maybe even in the SD Series.
HCTP is great, The Roster is probally the best Selection, Lesnar, Goldberg, Nash. These were there last games. And also the bumps you could do were great. Stacking Tables with Simple. And you Could jump off the titantron

But SvR06 is also Brilliant, You can stack tables, not as easy but you can. Also You could go Online which was really cool at the time cause it was the first Smackdown game which had a decent Online play [b](Svr was single or bra & panties)[/b] The roster was pretty good but It had missing superstars, but there has been missing superstars since 06 to 08 :P

If i had to choose one i'd honestly say HCTP, It's got a better roster and it's better, And you get do bigger bumps and Create taunts.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it couldn't hurt to own both eventually, but you should definitely buy HCTP before SVR06.

It has a better roster, the season modes are equally as entertaining. You could edit Superstars' overall ability. When creating a move-set, it doesn't limit you to which moves belong in which setting. (i.e. only having Multiple Suplexes in Power grapple.) This is petty, but my biggest beef with SVR06 is that the Snap Suplex looks retarded compared to the HCTP one. They each have their pros, but I say HCTP has the least cons. I played it for years without complaint before buying SVR and SVR06, just over a month ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Both are equally good in there own way, but I gotta be honest, the only thing I hated about HCTP is the fact that, unless you have a cheat device, it take forever to max out your CAW's stats. It's as big of a headache as 08. If you can get over that, both have great gameplay and too many pros for me to remember.

Also, if you're looking to get any other older games, I also recommend SYM, but not JBI. I would get into why, but I'd be going off-topic.

• 4 weeks later...
SvR 06 is the king of the series, IMO. It goes downhill from there.

HCTP is close second though.. My biggest gripe is how incredibly unfair the season mode can be. Expect to have opponents who get a finisher icon in four moves while it takes you three minuets of offense to get one, devastating finishers from the opponent that will make you lose even if you were only yellow on one limb before you get hit with it, horribly rigged matches, and being punished for things that are literally beyond your control. ( Ie: Sometimes if the game makes you lose in a custscene, its like you actually lost yourself. )

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hctp is more fun to play with the backstage areas and it's the best roster ever goldberg lesnar nash steiner ultimo dragon both undertakers mask/unmasked kane newer guys like cena orton batista and the legends are better to me in hctp because there more how they look now with piper looking a bit older so he fits better with the time the games from. also i think the caw mode is better for hctp because you get alot more stuff to make caws with theres tons of wrestler costumes pre-made in there. just the graphis for them don't really compare to the wrestlers in the game because there not all shiny looking. also if you have a cheat device like ar max it only makes the game more fun. eg. infinate weapons with the ability not to get hurt.

the only thing i like about 06 was the voice overs and create an entrance. plus i like the camera angle for hctp.

Archived