06 > 07

Carpenter 16:9

I hadn't played SVR 06 since I got 07, and I started playing it again last week.. I traded my friend 07 for 06.

The hotspots were either overpowered or useless, and almost all of them were half-assedly re-hashed animations of moves from 2006. Same goes for all 12 of the UCM's. Speaking of, the entire set of UCM's was clearly favoring heavyweights or above.

On that topic, lets look at how screwed over anyone who wasn't a heavyweight was in that game. What the hell was up with that? I can understand the way it worked in '06, with some moves being unusable by some weight classes.. But extending that to striking was a bad, bad idea. It made the game almost unplayable for someone being a cruiswerweight, unless you took the time to figure out which moves worked and which didn't. Hell, the no-selling extended to moves that don't even have a sensible reason to be no-sold. Like the enziguri! Thats pretty much a signature move of lighter wrestlers, and somehow it dosen't work.. How would weight class POSSIBLY effect ones ability to get your kick caught and then pop the guy in the back of the head with your other foot?!

Oh, and lets not forget the new move list! Somehow it got reduced. Drastically. The submission department really took it on the chin here, but that isn't the only problem. Not only is the number of moves reduced, the available slots to put moves into has too! Instead of the clean/dirty moves as a neutral grapple, we now get "quick grapples" that are basically low damaging, unfairly difficult to reverse ( Unless your the AI? ) and rehashed moves that seemed to be an attempt to make up for the lacking set of main grapples.

As opposed to the '06 style, where you could really have fun making a moveset you wanted to make, we get the '06 style. Not only are these restrictions frustrating, some of them are downright silly. Martial arts restricted to 200 lbs or less? Or how about a guy weighing over 250 being unable to perform technical wrestling? And what the f*ck happened to the speed set?!

• 4 weeks later...
[size=2]First off i'd like to talk about Saves, I got bored of both SVR06 & SVR07, but i enjoyed them again alot more if i make a TNA save, Or a WCW save etc. It really makes the game fun for a whole lot longer if you do this. I have a WCW and Legends save on 2006 & a TNA save on 2007. For TNA, It's better to use 2006 because it has christians titantron, And the Unforgiven arena which is perfect for TNA and many ways. It'd use WCW for 2006 because it has nWo titantron, nWo music & Hollywood Hogan. Also it has the ECW arena. For ECW you should use 2006, And for legends you should use 2006, It has WM 9 arena and appropriate music for Demolition, Razor Ramon, Tatanka & More. So overall, It is better to use 2006 for Game Saves. Besides on 2007 main menu it doesn't show all these WWE wrestlers in your face, So you aren't reminded of the fact that you are playing a boring WWE game.

Making CAWs on 2007 takes ages. Just to make the chin longest it takes 3 months, And you can't even have one normal black shirt. The CAW mode is terrible. And usually i just use easy creation for entrances because advanced mode is so laggy. For some reason, They've included loading times after you've pinned. And it takes longer to load too. The Arenas have less detail in 2007. Especially the ECW arena. There are even more collision errors in 2007. You'll do a running grapple and you'll just jump to the side. And alot of times when you hit them with a chair on the ground or kick them on the ground, You'll miss for no reason.

For Some Retarted reason, Announcer tables disapear when you smash someone over them. Also, You can't climb onto wooden tables. The reversals are longer. When my move get's reversed it takes ages to get back into the action. TLC matches are pointless, Because the AI will just grab the ladder and repeteadly hit you with it. Hair doesn't fly around when you fight, Even When they are completely on their side. Computer vs. Computer matches are useless because all they'll do is spend the match reversing their grapples, again and again in an endless cycle. The in ring hotspots are extremely long, frustrating and boring. It seems lik they have literally slowed down moves. You can no longer climb up the crowd barriers. Like Jeff Hardy did at wrestlemania X-7. Money in the Bank match is endlessly repetitive. You cannot slect No Music for your Caws. The system of "deleting 30 taunts every year to replace with new character taunts" won't work. I mean the point of having those taunts there is to use for CAws of wrestlers from the past. So why would we wanna have to use Chris Master's taunt for DDP? THe New Control Scheme Sucks. I am so sick of people acting like the biggest problem of the game is the AI or Controls, But come on, There's a limit.

Season Mode,... What can i say. There hasn't been a good season mode since HCTP, I used to call SVR06 season mode
a 3D movie, Beat SVR07 season literally IS a 3D wrestling based movie. HCTP season mode was one of the funnest moments i've ever experienced in WWE games, And it it had a lot more potential. They should definitely bring back CAWs in the storymode and choices. Also; They need to make the photos for the CAWs much biger and high quality like in 2006.

So yeah SVR07 is a bad game, I only found it fun when i played TNA on it. Ever since 2004 they have been improving on the things that DON'T need improving (Graphics, Controls, AI,) And downgrading everything else.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
To me, 06 is the best wrestling video game since No Mercy. 07 and 08 are flat-out pathetic in comparison.

As mentioned earlier, the CAW system is extremely deep in 06. You can make almost anyone you want free of restriction (I say almost because there are a few I'd love to make but cannot complete since I do not have a hack device), and wow is the moveset deep. We were able to fill two memory cards with CAWs over the last couple of years, that's how fun the CAW mode is in 06. There are certain wrestlers that are impossible to create in 2008 since their signature moves and taunts have been deleted.

Also, having 30 grapples per wrestler is not half bad, certainly far better than the limitations 07 and especially 08 present, in which every wrestler only has 12 grapples. Seriously, I can still play 06 and friends and I have so much more fun on that than we do with the last two games, which were frustratingly awful games that has a lifespan of about two weeks for 07 (stuff like "environmential hotspots" is so unnecessary, no wrestler in real life has THAT much of a struggle pulling a briefcase off a hook), and about three hours for 08 before we ended up returning it. The "pick up and play" beauty of 06 died with that year's edition.

Also, the unlockables get less and less interesting every year, especially the legends roster. 2006, IMO, was the best by far: Andre, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Junkyard Dog (a little half-assed with the moveset and announcer intro's for JYD but at least we can customize his moveset), even Jimmy Hart is available as a manager. The Hogan tribute was a neat touch as well especially for his fans, having three different versions of Hogan with period-correct attributes and attires.

Since then the legends roster has suffered big time. No Hogan at all in 08 (and in 07 they lowered his attributes, thus he was no longer the game's strongest playable character...instead that was HHH! Hmmmm.), no Andre for the last two games, we got a half-assed Dusty Rhodes in 2007, a Rick Rude with no robe in 2008 (couldn't they have used an old sound byte for his "What I'd like to have right now..." intro?)...before you know it WWE will stop including legends altogether for some stupid BS reason. It seems like they try less and less every year in this department. And where the heck is Eddie Guerrero in 08?

Bottom line, 07 and 08 cannot compare to 06. 06 is still fun and fresh even now, still holds up quite well today. That's the mark of a great game.

thq should make a game where they get all the good features from every single wwe game and put them all together. Even JBI had the thing where you could set up chairs.

Like 2007 had a good feature where every PROFILE could hold 30 caws, Instead of every MEMORY CARD.
I can think of a thousand uses for saves on 2006, But i only have three memory cards, (1 wcw, 2 legend)
PS: With 2008 I find it annoying that the game that finally has Sheik Turbans is the game that happens to have Sabu in it, But the CAW & CAB mode is a definite improvement, But WHY did they get rid of fighting stances?

there 's only a handful of things I like in 07 better than in 06

- no "out of stamina" stupid sound
- CAE improved (you can time the fireworks and camera changes)
- better roster overall
- no crotch blur (for me it's a HUGE thing since I don't have a cheat device which means that I had tons of incomplete CAWs on 06 such as kennedy...it was KE...EDY on the back of his trunks...lol)
- the multi profile on one mem card thing is also a HUGE plus for me as I only have one memory card and was forced to have only 30 CAWs while I have 90 or so in 07

with this being said, it's a 50/50 thing for me because 06 owns in almost every other department...I won't even mention 08 because that's the worst svr game since svr LOL...and by god was svr sucky, I'll probably borrow the game just to make a few CAWs and return it the day after...

it's amazing how yukes and company ruined a franchise with huge potential...reminds of mortal kombat

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='arkitektak844' post='3231343' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:23 AM'][size=2]First off i'd like to talk about Saves, I got bored of both SVR06 & SVR07, but i enjoyed them again alot more if i make a TNA save, Or a WCW save etc. It really makes the game fun for a whole lot longer if you do this. I have a WCW and Legends save on 2006 & a TNA save on 2007. For TNA, It's better to use 2006 because it has christians titantron, And the Unforgiven arena which is perfect for TNA and many ways. It'd use WCW for 2006 because it has nWo titantron, nWo music & Hollywood Hogan. Also it has the ECW arena. For ECW you should use 2006, And for legends you should use 2006, It has WM 9 arena and appropriate music for Demolition, Razor Ramon, Tatanka & More. So overall, It is better to use 2006 for Game Saves. Besides on 2007 main menu it doesn't show all these WWE wrestlers in your face, So you aren't reminded of the fact that you are playing a boring WWE game.

Making CAWs on 2007 takes ages. Just to make the chin longest it takes 3 months, And you can't even have one normal black shirt. The CAW mode is terrible. And usually i just use easy creation for entrances because advanced mode is so laggy. For some reason, They've included loading times after you've pinned. And it takes longer to load too. The Arenas have less detail in 2007. Especially the ECW arena. There are even more collision errors in 2007. You'll do a running grapple and you'll just jump to the side. And alot of times when you hit them with a chair on the ground or kick them on the ground, You'll miss for no reason.

For Some Retarted reason, Announcer tables disapear when you smash someone over them. Also, You can't climb onto wooden tables. The reversals are longer. When my move get's reversed it takes ages to get back into the action. TLC matches are pointless, Because the AI will just grab the ladder and repeteadly hit you with it. Hair doesn't fly around when you fight, Even When they are completely on their side. Computer vs. Computer matches are useless because all they'll do is spend the match reversing their grapples, again and again in an endless cycle. The in ring hotspots are extremely long, frustrating and boring. It seems lik they have literally slowed down moves. You can no longer climb up the crowd barriers. Like Jeff Hardy did at wrestlemania X-7. Money in the Bank match is endlessly repetitive. You cannot slect No Music for your Caws. The system of "deleting 30 taunts every year to replace with new character taunts" won't work. I mean the point of having those taunts there is to use for CAws of wrestlers from the past. So why would we wanna have to use Chris Master's taunt for DDP? THe New Control Scheme Sucks. I am so sick of people acting like the biggest problem of the game is the AI or Controls, But come on, There's a limit.

Season Mode,... What can i say. There hasn't been a good season mode since HCTP, I used to call SVR06 season mode
a 3D movie, Beat SVR07 season literally IS a 3D wrestling based movie. HCTP season mode was one of the funnest moments i've ever experienced in WWE games, And it it had a lot more potential. They should definitely bring back CAWs in the storymode and choices. Also; They need to make the photos for the CAWs much biger and high quality like in 2006.

So yeah SVR07 is a bad game, I only found it fun when i played TNA on it. Ever since 2004 they have been improving on the things that DON'T need improving (Graphics, Controls, AI,) And downgrading everything else.[/size][/quote]

I so agree, wait we should start making CAWS for 06, Make it popular again, heck i've been playing on it ever since 07 got really boring.

[quote name='arkitektak844' post='3347013' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:49 PM']Like 2007 had a good feature where every PROFILE could hold 30 caws,[/quote]

Yeah but can you have caws from different profiles face each other? Like I have a CAW profile for Real wrestlers and one for Created Characters and want to have Created face Real. I tried but couldn't find how (If you can, any pointers would be welcome and appreciated :))

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Carpenter' post='2977610' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:47 PM']The only time I've seen the CPU do that in either game is during the elimination chamber.. And holy crap does the AI love to Irish whip there.[/quote]
ya all they do is strong irish whip u out of the ring. it happened so much to me and my friends that we counted how long we stayed on the ground no matter how much buttons we pressed. i havent played this in a while but i know it was like 10 - 15 seconds ont he floor

• 1 month later...
[quote name='X-Savior' post='3969680' date='Mar 23 2008, 03:46 AM']Give me more moves over UCMs any day.[/quote]

Amen to that! 06 totally destroys 07 and 08 in some many catagories, unfortunatly, most of which have either skipped my mind at the moment, or they've already been mentioned. Heck, all I have is two mem cards, one profile a piece, and I still manage to get better matches out of it then I do 07.
08 is ok to me, but I'm gonna wait a while before I buy it, well, now that I know I can hack, I can get my character's actual movesets back, kinda.

The thing I love the most about 06 is the fact that it doesn't matter your character's weight, you can still give them whatever moves you feel like, and there is a bigger selection. So what if 07 has a few legends that 06 doesn't, if I want them, I'll create them.

Gods, I hope Impact! doesn't turn out to be a disappointment like 08 was. And that's saying something because, to be honest, I can't stand TNA, but that's for another place and time.

I've never played 07, but I've noticed a theme in that noone has disagreed with me on my topic on how 06 was dominant. So I'd say without a doubt there is no way 07 or 08 ever had anything on 06.

One thing I've noticed is that, since the games have progressively gone downhill since 06, there might be some awesome new game that's not Smackdown! vs Raw (Perhaps a new title that incorporates both promotions, perhaps something simplistic like 'WWE You Can't See Me!') and it will be totally awesome and have loads of new elements. In my opinion, the whole Smackdown! vs Raw series is nothing but a shambles and perhaps they're just distracting us with these games while they get the finances for an awesome new programming engine.

[quote name='Hicky' post='3977069' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:00 AM']I've never played 07, but I've noticed a theme in that noone has disagreed with me on my topic on how 06 was dominant. So I'd say without a doubt there is no way 07 or 08 ever had anything on 06.

One thing I've noticed is that, since the games have progressively gone downhill since 06, there might be some awesome new game that's not Smackdown! vs Raw (Perhaps a new title that incorporates both promotions, perhaps something simplistic like 'WWE You Can't See Me!') and it will be totally awesome and have loads of new elements. In my opinion, the whole Smackdown! vs Raw series is nothing but a shambles and perhaps they're just distracting us with these games while they get the finances for an awesome new programming engine.[/quote]

Personally, I think they're just testing us, trying to find out from fans, what works, and what doesn't. So far, here's the only things I liked about 08 over 06.
1. I can put female CAWs into 6-man matches instead of this 4-man crap.
2. Flaming Tables.

That's really about it. That, and now that I know what I know about cheats, maybe it won't suck as much, but still, not worth the price it currently is.

i played both 07 and 08 and gotta say the gameplay sucks, far too slow.
also not a bit WWE so always making CAWs and if the graphics are too good the TNA CAWs can look a bit daft next to in-game charecters, eg. if you wanted to do sabu vs raven in 08 etc.

I've been sticking to 06 and posting new and currents CAWs which i find helps keep it all fresh

• 4 weeks later...
I've never played SVR07, and the controls kind of freak me out. Though, I read that you could switch to classic style. Hope someone can confirm this. Doesn't have Chris Jericho though, but does have Kennedy and Finlay. No ECW roster either. A little torn? I guess.

The last thing that bothers me is, I spent about $30 USD about four months ago, buying SVR and and a used SVR06. Then, three months later.. I find out the first three SVRs are coming out in in a 3-pack for $30 USD! :censored:

Archived