Some Slider Study

adembroski

New here, hi. Was looking for slider sets others have made, having trouble finding them. One can generally find Madden or other traditional sports games slider sets easily, apparently the pro wrestling crowd is a tad more casual. I wanted to see what others had done so I could compare to my own work.

I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, this all might be common knowledge, I haven't been active in the community except to mooch the CAWs, so I figured I'd try and give something back.

Basically what I do is adjust the sliders in the options menu, then play several matches with varying degrees of difficulty (singles with even ratings, one where I am the higher rated, one where I'm the lower rated, a few more close to even), then adjust based on observations.

I don't have a definative set yet, I'm still playing, but a few things are relatively conclusive...

- Weight class is the biggest factor in the difficulty of a match
- The biggest AI issue is stamina, the CPU does not handle it well. Then often recharge rather than maintaining momentum when they've lose less than a quarter of their own stamina.
- When playing matches in GM mode, there is a noticable advantage to the Superstar with higher popularity. However, the amount of difference in popularity seems to have no effect (ie no difference between a popularity 90 vs. 80 or 100 vs 20, just a flat bonus).

One thing I've noticed is that most of the few slider threads I do find have people upping counters to give the CPU an advantage. I have found that, while this does make the game more challenging, it also makes it exceedingly frustrating and a lot less enjoyable. It becomes a dice rolling game, the winner being whoever is gets off the most counters.

My suggestion is this: First off, lower the stamina rate. Five clicks left from default seems to be reasonable (the sliders are a 20 point scale, with 10 being default). This will permit the computer to be more aggressive in pursuing advantages. Second, lower all momentum rates to 0... this will lengthen matches as finishers will not be available as quickly, and also cause longer holds on momentum. Third, REDUCE all counter sliders in the Game Balence menu to ZERO, all the way left. This will make counters more rare for both parties. Third, increase CPU usage frequency to maximum for all counters.

Now play a few matches, get a feel for how things are going. If you're my skill level (not very good, I'm afraid), you should be losing most of your even matches but getting countered constantly. You can now proceed to lower the CPU Frequency sliders you adjusted until you reach a comfortable level. Standing strikes should probably remain fairly high, as going too low with this allows every match to degerate into a boxing match. Ground grapples and standing grapples are the key to getting the right match pace... too high, and it's a crap shoot and skill means nothing compared to the random number generation, too low and you'll go right back to whooping Kurt Angle with Trevor Murdoch.

I can't post often, but if I get something definative, like some actual numbers for you, I'll post 'em. Hope this is useful to someone. I started out just raising reversals in the Game Balance menu, but this has made the game fun for me again.

Thank you all for your welcome.

By the way, I forgot the mention, the drawback to this system is that some matches will seem to end suddenly and prematurely... this setup does seem to emphasis the weightclass advantage in pins... ie pins that can normally be kicked out of easily will end the match. Be EXTREMELY aware of pins and start mashing IMMEDIATELY when you hit the mat if you play a light heavyweight or a cruiserweight.

[quote name='Kosta12' post='2195553' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:26 PM']Wouldn't reducing the counter sliders all the way to the left in Game Balance make it almost immposible to counter?Anyway I'll try this tomorrow![/quote]

No... I find countering way too easy in this game as it is. It's simply a matter of mashing away on the shoulder buttons whenever your opponent has control of the match.

That's one of the two major problems the game faces... the other being that the CPU is more concerned with it's stamina then pursuing an advantage. By dropping effectiveness all the way down and adjusting the CPU's frequency of use, you permit the pendulum feel of wrestling more effectively... ie one guy controls the match for a time, then the momentum swings the other way.

The one major disadvantage I've found in this is that Ultimate Control moves can be maintained for quite a while. The damage done does seem to adjust for the stamina rate, so it doesn't make them devestating, but they are very easily used to cause count-outs when you're the illegal man, or by keeping your opponent in one until the 9 second point, executing the move, then running into the ring, or outlast a flashing finisher, not permitting the CPU to store it. There's always a give and take moving from default sliders, but overall I find this way a tish better.

One thing I kinda liked... I lost a match earlier this week... light-heavyweight against a heavyweight... at a completely unexpected way when he rolled me up from behind while I was arguing with the ref (which I normally don't do, but accidentally hit L1). Irritated me at the time, but it was still kinda nice to get a loss like that. My roommate, whose created heavyweight is a 98 overall is actually being challenged in his matches against guys like HBK and Batista.

I used the sliders you suggested and I'm not really sure about some of them.I mean that the momentum and stamina meters are perfect,but I have the CPU usage of all counters on max and they rarely reverse the moves I do but it's easy for me to reverse almost all of their moves.This kinda hurts the flow of the match.Any ideas?Oh and another question:does changing the difficulty setting(easy,normal,hard,legend)change the sliders or is that a completely different thing?

• 11 months later...

Archived