The saddest part of 2K20 for me, you can tell where the devs gave a damn

King RyderFan

Normally I don't do this but a similar reddit post on the Pokémon games, Sword and Shield, inspired me, given how controversial all three games have been. I would link to it, but I'm not sure if linking to Reddit is OK.

For all of 2K20's flaws, and there a lot of them, you can tell that there are areas where a great game is trying to shine through. So many guys and girls from Keith Lee to Zelina Vega having unique reversals, the MyCareer mode has some genuinely funny scenes as well as some notable continuity, (reality show NXT is brought up a couple of times when they needn't bothered) Hogan's entrance is the best version of it I have seen in any video game, the Rock & Sock's victory motion perfectly captures their dynamic as a team, and we even got Chyna, *censored*ing Chyna! I remember when there was a time it seemed like she would NEVER be in another WWE game. It's clear that at least some members of the team did indeed give a shit about the game, sadly, due to a middle manager not giving a damn, WWE, Yukes leaving, time constraints, whatever, the game has a roster with several holes (Jaxon Ryker but not Steve Cutler or Wesley Blake, Oney Lorcan but no Danny Burch, no Marina Shafir or Jessamyn Duke, no Kane '98, etc.) as well as several notable glitches. It's a shame because some areas of this game are a love letter to the hardcore fans like us. My heart does go out to the people who added all the small details to this game, only for the people above them and circumstances out of their control to ruin it. I just hope that 2K21 is a real bounce back from this.

Sadly 2k21 will be a black friday purchase. They've literally lost me as a day 1 customer. I feel you and I do agree, there are parts where they tried but man, the negatives totally outweigh the positives

I feel the same way. There are things that dont work perfectly every year but this year, with broken creations and Universe, I have no reason to play it anymore, after a single week, and thats the sort of thing that resonates with you. I wasted money buying it Day 1. I hope they earn my trust back, but anything less than CM Punk wont change my mind for 2K21 - Ill wait for a sale like I should have this year.

Sadly 2k21 will be a black friday purchase. They've literally lost me as a day 1 customer. I feel you and I do agree, there are parts where they tried but man, the negatives totally outweigh the positives

I feel the same way. There are things that dont work perfectly every year but this year, with broken creations and Universe, I have no reason to play it anymore, after a single week, and thats the sort of thing that resonates with you. I wasted money buying it Day 1. I hope they earn my trust back, but anything less than CM Punk wont change my mind for 2K21 - Ill wait for a sale like I should have this year.

Not even a game with no glitches and good gameplay?

This might be an unpopular post, but... they should forget adding new modes next year, and focus 100% on making sure the freekin' game ships in a WORKING condition. Creation Suite, Universe Mode, Gameplay. It's gonna take a lot to convince me to buy 2K21.

yeah, zombies, monsters, a cringe-filled goofball myplayer story mode which is some weird half-step between maintaining kayfabe and not, and limiting items behind time-sink grinding mechanics like towers and building prestiege points for different category types, meaning multiple run throughs. That's where 2k's love has gone. And that's not why I buy a wrestling game.

I buy it for creation modes, exhibition match types, and universe mode. with create mode being glitched and CABelt being missing; and exhibition/universe mode being glitched too, I have no reason to play the game at all.

All 2k seem bothered to do is pump out DLC with more worthless stories attached. If that's what they want to do (crying about Yukes telling them they can't put monsters in anymore), then so be it, but I'll not support the series any further.

yeah, zombies, monsters, a cringe-filled goofball myplayer story mode which is some weird half-step between maintaining kayfabe and not, and limiting items behind time-sink grinding mechanics like towers and building prestiege points for different category types, meaning multiple run throughs. That's where 2k's love has gone. And that's not why I buy a wrestling game.

I buy it for creation modes, exhibition match types, and universe mode. with create mode being glitched and CABelt being missing; and exhibition/universe mode being glitched too, I have no reason to play the game at all.

All 2k seem bothered to do is pump out DLC with more worthless stories attached. If that's what they want to do (crying about Yukes telling them they can't put monsters in anymore), then so be it, but I'll not support the series any further.

Way to miss the point...

No, I didn't miss the point. I'll half-agree about character-specific reversals. Those are cool, I guess. But these have been in the series under Yukes, they're not new thanks to 2K in this game. And why are they hard-coded to the character models only? Why can't we select reversal animations for CAWs? Viewed under that context, it is yet another restriction.

Yes, MyCareer had some laughs, mostly at Tre's expense. But it mostly annoying, with things that don't make sense. It's a half-step towards maintaining kayfabe. Where he's angry at himself for losing the match, but wrestling is a work so he never really 'lost' the match etc. It's cringey and annoying, as if it's a story mode for kids.

You're touting... entrances and victory animations as proof of the love that's gone into the game? Goddamn, the entrances SHOULD be acurate, that's not some big achievement. But if you're going to pin-point Hogan... he himself is a weird mashup of different Hogan's isn't he? He's 2002/3 Hogan with an nWo beard, but walks out to Real American when it should be Voodoo Chile. The announcers call him 'Hollywood' and talk about the nWo. At least 'The Outsiders' have the nWo theme, but you can't properly edit the colors of him the feather boas to make Hollywood Hogan. And the nWo Trio entrance isn't in the game either. You can't take Hogan's bandanna off due to weird hair/head shape glitch. You can't add downloaded images to him properly to make nWo Hogan because CAW Mode is so jakked-up, they move around, or cause crashes if you use more than 10 images etc. Do you want to tell me again how good Hogan is in this game, as proof of the love 2K have poured into the game, underneath all the glitches?

WWE made-up with Chyna and put her in the Hall Of Fame, so it was a given that she could potentially show-up in the game. If you want to promote the game development team going out of their way, do it for THQ/Yukes, whom approached Savage, Warrior etc before WWE ever made-up with them.

This might be an unpopular post, but... they should forget adding new modes next year, and focus 100% on making sure the freekin' game ships in a WORKING condition. Creation Suite, Universe Mode, Gameplay.

Indeed... from your keyboard to the game developers' ears.

No, I didn't miss the point. I'll half-agree about character-specific reversals. Those are cool, I guess. But these have been in the series under Yukes, they're not new thanks to 2K in this game. And why are they hard-coded to the character models only? Why can't we select reversal animations for CAWs? Viewed under that context, it is yet another restriction.

Yes, MyCareer had some laughs, mostly at Tre's expense. But it mostly annoying, with things that don't make sense. It's a half-step towards maintaining kayfabe. Where he's angry at himself for losing the match, but wrestling is a work so he never really 'lost' the match etc. It's cringey and annoying, as if it's a story mode for kids.

You're touting... entrances and victory animations as proof of the love that's gone into the game? Goddamn, the entrances SHOULD be acurate, that's not some big achievement. But if you're going to pin-point Hogan... he himself is a weird mashup of different Hogan's isn't he? He's 2002/3 Hogan with an nWo beard, but walks out to Real American when it should be Voodoo Chile. The announcers call him 'Hollywood' and talk about the nWo. At least 'The Outsiders' have the nWo theme, but you can't properly edit the colors of him the feather boas to make Hollywood Hogan. And the nWo Trio entrance isn't in the game either. You can't take Hogan's bandanna off due to weird hair/head shape glitch. You can't add downloaded images to him properly to make nWo Hogan because CAW Mode is so jakked-up, they move around, or cause crashes if you use more than 10 images etc. Do you want to tell me again how good Hogan is in this game, as proof of the love 2K have poured into the game, underneath all the glitches?

WWE made-up with Chyna and put her in the Hall Of Fame, so it was a given that she could potentially show-up in the game. If you want to promote the game development team going out of their way, do it for THQ/Yukes, whom approached Savage, Warrior etc before WWE ever made-up with them.

Yes you did miss the point. Yes the reversals are tied to the character, but I'd rather they were tied to the characters than not in at all.

Wrestling is not treated as a work once in MyCareer, and there are plenty of games that balance the like between real and work far worse, like Here Comes the Pain.

Hulk is based of his 2002 run, where he was called Hollywood and used the red and yellow. Voodoo Child isn't in because of how expensive it is to license, which is around $5Million. For one song that just isn't worth it. There is a reason WWE edits it out of the Network too. The announcers talking about nWo Hogan lends credence to my theory that they were planning for nWo Hogan but had to change at the last possible second to red and yellow face Hulk. You can edit the colours of the boas and the bandana to black & white. The logo crashing issue goes back to my point about them running out of time, and expecting stuff like an nWo entrance is first year back is ridiculous. I will say it again, Hogan's entrance is the best it has ever been, snd there is a great game trying to shine through the glitches.

Not that it wasn't a big deal to get Savage or Warrior, but I'd say Chyna was a lot higher on the no-no list than either of them. She was right up there with Owen Hart in terms of people they were banned from even trying to use. That's why I singled them out for it. Granted, the roster is WWE's call at the end of the day, and always has been and will be, but even then the fact they managed to convince them is pretty awesome.

The game is stillborn until creation mode is fixed, and glitches/crashes/resetting of universe mode and exhibition mode are fixed. Anything else is... crap, and a waste of development time. Such as zombies and monsters.. this isn't Mortal Kombat or WWE Immortals. Keep that crap in mobile games.

What is the most crap are story modes that you're going to play through once (myplayer, showcase, 2k originals), and forced grinding (towers, things locked behind prestige points, things split between fighter classes to force multiple tower run throughs).

It's an absolute sham that this is where the developmental time and effort has gone. I don't need things putting behind a time-grind mechanic to force me to spend more time with the game. I have creation modes, CC sharing servers and Universe Mode to accomplish this. Instead of Story Modes and Monsters, how about you spend time fixing glitches, and then pumping-up with new match types because the game is years out of date. 40 Man Greatest Royal Rumble, War Games, Survivor Series... If not match types, why not some better AI tuning? GM Mode, Story Designer Modes? etc. etc.

And a final unrelated thing... the 'poor 2K, Yukes left, bad Yukes' attitude people have is annoying. 2K have had the game since mid-way through WWE13. They've even had their 'rebuild' excuse with 2K15. What exactly have they been doing for 6 years since they got the license? The fact that they wanted to kick Yukes out of the party soo bad, and they rejoiced that Yukes could no longer tell them not to put zombies and monsters into the game, in Denk's video, is a complete disgrace.

Maybe, just maybe, if Create Modes and Exhibition/Universe Modes all worked without glitches and crashes; then people could ignore the zombies and monsters, and b.s. story modes like they used-to. We paid for an 'unlock all accellorator', afterall, don't we?

I'll even go one step further, maybe, just maybe, if those modes worked, people would begrudgingly set aside a few nights to blitz through those story modes and get them out of the way quickly, so they could use whatever content is trapped behind the wall.

But the fact that the game is a broken mess... yes, I'd say it's 'very clear' where the love has been put-in by 2K, and it freaking sucks.

The game is stillborn until creation mode is fixed, and glitches/crashes/resetting of universe mode and exhibition mode are fixed. Anything else is... crap, and a waste of development time. Such as zombies and monsters.. this isn't Mortal Kombat or WWE Immortals. Keep that crap in mobile games.

What is the most crap are story modes that you're going to play through once (myplayer, showcase, 2k originals), and forced grinding (towers, things locked behind prestige points, things split between fighter classes to force multiple tower run throughs).

It's an absolute sham that this is where the developmental time and effort has gone. I don't need things putting behind a time-grind mechanic to force me to spend more time with the game. I have creation modes, CC sharing servers and Universe Mode to accomplish this. Instead of Story Modes and Monsters, how about you spend time fixing glitches, and then pumping-up with new match types because the game is years out of date. 40 Man Greatest Royal Rumble, War Games, Survivor Series... If not match types, why not some better AI tuning? GM Mode, Story Designer Modes? etc. etc.

And a final unrelated thing... the 'poor 2K, Yukes left, bad Yukes' attitude people have is annoying. 2K have had the game since mid-way through WWE13. They've even had their 'rebuild' excuse with 2K15. What exactly have they been doing for 6 years since they got the license? The fact that they wanted to kick Yukes out of the party soo bad, and they rejoiced that Yukes could no longer tell them not to put zombies and monsters into the game, in Denk's video, is a complete disgrace.

Maybe, just maybe, if Create Modes and Exhibition/Universe Modes all worked without glitches and crashes; then people could ignore the zombies and monsters, and b.s. story modes like they used-to. We paid for an 'unlock all accellorator', afterall, don't we?

I'll even go one step further, maybe, just maybe, if those modes worked, people would begrudgingly set aside a few nights to blitz through those story modes and get them out of the way quickly, so they could use whatever content is trapped behind the wall.

But the fact that the game is a broken mess... yes, I'd say it's 'very clear' where the love has been put-in by 2K, and it freaking sucks.

You're pretty spot on dude.

Match Creator was a nice thing to have back, yet it's still nowhere near as good as the last gen version. I would have really liked to have seen this mode massively broadened, along with a ton of other things obviously.

Chyna was a lot higher on the no-no list than either of them. She was right up there with Owen Hart in terms of people they were banned from even trying to use. That's why I singled them out for it. Granted, the roster is WWE's call at the end of the day, and always has been and will be, but even then the fact they managed to convince them is pretty awesome.

They had no one to convince, once she was put in the hall of fame it was very obvious she will be in the game too.

Vince will use anything and anyone that will put him additional Money in the pot and after he saw the crowd responce and acceptance during the DX reunion, he knew it is time for her to be in the game.

They did the same with Molly, Jaqueline, Ivory, Beth and every other female the last few years that made it into the hall of fame (except of Mae Young and some announcers or no Wrestling roles).

To the OP I must say that you are right in a few things but in Overall it is like 95% to 98% unplayable.

It is the first Wrestling game ever that I'm not touching at all.

Only attempted to create some caws in the beginning and let it be after.

Waiting for a proper patch for almost a month (well in 3 days it will be a month) so a game that cost me 100€ is somewhat playable without causing Frustration is beyond bad in my opinion so I fully understand that most People will ignore even the very few little Details that are put in the op since one cant even enjoy these without be hit on the head by a bug a Freeze or a glitch somewhere.

Because those "zombies and mosters" are the the only thing they could get as DLC. Would you rather they intentionally held back Keith Lee, Mia Yim or Jerry Lawler so we had some "real" DLC?

That I can give you, I don't agree with forcing you to go through the story multiple time.

There's a lot to pack in this paragraph, let's break it down:

40-man Rumble: This happened in 2011, during the THQ days. Though I will say picking an exact amount of people to be in the Rumble, be it 40, 12, 50, 152, whatever, should be something they look to add in the future.

War Games: I can see them having a template for how arenas are made, with a little bit of leniency, such as announce table positions, or ramp length/angle. I can see trying to shove a whole extra ring in there causing some real issues. A good compromise would be to maybe let us do it in one ring, though people would still bitch about it not being "accurate".

Survivor Series: The 4Vs4 variant is already in, and 5Vs5 needs more than 8 people.

GM Mode: Do people even remember anything about this mode? It was completely littered with issues, ranging from a stupid "20 person per show" limit to an incredibly biased AI. You just did a technical classic with Angle & HBK? 2 stars! AI did Joy Giovanni Vs Heidenreich? 5 star classic! Well done! Not to mention you'd be plagued by injuries, talents throwing the biggest fits because they lost like three matches in a row, and a tight bank account while the AI just went along their merry way doing whatever they wanted with none of the prelisted issues. To be honest, I'd say that one mode has more issues than the entirety of 2K20, and anyone wanting GM mode would be better off playing TEW. It's like 20-25 dollars and with the right mod, you can have over 1,000 people active, plus a far more in-depth experience.

Story mode: While this mode did have its fair share of issues, I'd say that those were more down to neglect than actual issues. I'd love to see it back in the future, but I'd rather they focused on the modes they do have first and get them working, then think about other fancy new toys.

Firstly 2K has had the license since 2014, with their first true entry being 2K15. For WWE '13 all they did was change the logo on the box from THQ's to theirs, seeing as all the DLC for the game was out by that point, and 2K14 was them putting the finishing touches on THQ's work. As for what they have done since then? Let's take a look:

2K15: While it is admittedly bare bones, it was an issue that affected many games that year, seeing as we were jumping from the PS360 era to the PS4 & Xbox One. F12015 for instance had no career mode, and all the classic cars and tracks from F1 2014 went bye-bye too. TBH, depending on they jump, I can see 2K21 or 2K22 facing similar issues. On the other side however, it was the first game to feature an actual NXT roster, the game where the much despised crotch blur was removed, as well as the comeback of edit-a-superstar.

2K16: TBH, I'd consider this 2K's second best entry, the big downside being the lack of the Four Horsewomen, with a lot of the missing features from 2K15 returning here.

2K17: A bit of a nothing game, the most notable thing here being that being able to go backstage in hardcore matches returned.

2K18: We got the limit of superstars in matches bumped up to 8, as well as a revamped Career mode to be more story like. However, we lost the ability to export our superstars from MyPlayer for use in exhibition.

2K19: We finally got to assign managers to superstars in Universe mode, and the MyCareer mode was again reworked to great critical feedback. However, we also had the whole "Million Dollar Challenge" controversy.

2K20: A new control scheme was finally implemented, as well as a female MyCareer mode. Honestly, I'd consider this 2K's best game. However, we also got the controversial Originals characters, and Yukes leaving caused major issues.

Note how each game has given us at least one highly requested feature.

The bolded were the only ones where they said they were "rebuilding" one was where their first true go around, as well as a console jump, while the other was the first year they didnt have Yukes & the language barrier holding them back. It isn't an excuse, it's the truth. Yukes have been an issue since the THQ days.

Again, I'll give you the accelerator should unlock everything, and the glitches are most likely due to time constraints.

I'll give you the game is a buggy mess, but just because a no-name, jobsworth middle manager doesn't give a damn doesn't mean that the lower level people who do all the mocap and coding or the script writers for the career mode don't either. That's what makes 2K20 so infuriating to me, it wants to be a great game, it should be a great game, but due to decisions by higher ups who don't give a fuzz (WWE refusing to push the release date back to allow for proper bug testing, or the whole accelerator not unlocking everything) it isn't.

Technically they didn't make up with China since she was already dead before she was put in

Not even a game with no glitches and good gameplay?

No glitches and good gameplay would be why Id still buy it, but I thought Id have half of that this year and was so wrong I dont want to play it. 2K21 could be amazing, but they will not get me Day 1 for it after this year. They may get me back for 2K22 - I want them to - but they have to earn it back by fixing this years game to playable status and making next years game one people deserve for their money. Im truly sympathetic to their situation, but its just being smart on my end, just like they were smart about how little they revealed before releasing 2K20 to lock down as many Day 1 buys like mine as they could.

In terms of monsters DLC vs real DLC vs no dlc, of course I don't want the likes of Keith Lee and Mia Yim held back from the base game, but I would have taken a beefed up moves pack, assuming that more moves have been held back to spread amongst the upcoming story pack dlc's.

I would have taken an actual superstar pack for those whom timing didn't work out for their game contracts or being in trouble with WWE. Lio Rush, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, and whomever else is missing that "should" be in the game. Even if they just ported over their outdated 2k19 looks, that would still get me the models, ring announcer call names entrance music and videos etc. I can update someone's attire in caw mode to a respectable likeness.

I'd like the development time to go towards those that did make it into the game not looking like nightmare fuel, like Molly Holly does. Or for them to take some time and give them their proper moves. Molly has this arm ringer move at 2.07 in this video and it's not in the game anywhere. As far as I know, Molly is the only person who does it so I guess we're not getting this move back -

https://youtu.be/5GtXKPqhfJY

I'd take an updated Bayley with short hair in the normally scheduled Christmas/January DLC pack as a reaction to her changing it just after the game released, because at least that's actually related to wrestling, and infinitely more usable for people, than a monster Braun or zombie Sasha. But what I'd "really" like is for more parts, like hair styles and clothing options, to be split from the In-game roster and made into caw parts. I'd love a caw to be able to use Dana Brook's hair from last year, or Lana's from this year.

It's all about resource management. If time and effort wasn't spent on zombies and monsters and story modes and story mode dlc packs, how many of the glitches could have been fixed? If the glitches were already fixed, what other areas of the game's play mechanics, roster authenticity, new/returning matches and modes could we have got? We're supposed to get CABelt later in 2019 aren't we? I'd have preferred that in the base game over story modes, for example.

I would have liked those MyPlayer arenas, if they're going to spend time making them at least, like last year's Japan Hall or this year's Broken-down Gym... Not to mention In-game arenas like this year's WRESTLEMANIA's video screen... to separated into pieces and usable in CAArena Mode.

War Games: I'll be real, I don't even need both rings, because I can see how that would actually change the parameters of a match. Just give me a one ring match where I can pit two teams against each other. The coding exists to manage wrestlers entering a match after certain conditions (timer for elimination chamber; after an elongation for royal rumbles and the old gauntlet/slobber knocker matches). I don't even mind if it's not totally authentic to WarGames rules, like in the WWE12 Road to WM story where you have to stagger the entrances so that a new one slides in when one is eliminated. Obviously I'd like as close as possible to authenticity, but give me something rather than nothing. At least it would be something related to wrestling, and not bullshit monsters.

GM Mode: Yes, I agree that it would need some tweaking. Or maybe universe mode needs hella more options to control things like a draft, or contract negotiations. Either way, the demand for it to return in some shape or form has been loud since 2009. Compare this to... Whom besides 2K devs, really wants zombies and monsters? Seriously. Some people might want it, but they'd be outnumbered by those that want wrestling-related fixes/updates/new and returning matches/modes.

When it comes to the likes of Wolfe and Dain, you have to remember their positions on the card have changed quite a bit. Last year they were on RAW and SmackDown to the Main Roster, maybe they were getting a pay cut and said no? Or maybe WWE said no? The buck stops with them when it comes to the roster after all. If we can't go for new people, your only options are A: intentionally hold people back or B: Original content.

And we have gotten extra moves. The first pack alone contains moves for Kushida, Kona Reeves and Donovan Dijakovic for instance, and it's been confirmed the old moves pack is being spread out amongst all the Originals packs. Im sure plenty more are coming soon with the Southpaw, No Man's Land, and other packs.

Again, I'll revert you back to my first point, if the WWE or wrestlers themselves say no, there isn't much 2K can do.

Are you sure that Molly move isn't in the game? I am 99% sure I've seen it before. Even if it isn't, they could easily slide in a DLC pack.

No way in hell was a heel Bayley, even dating back to THQ the games have never been THAT recent. If she debuted the look at SummerSlam by the latest then MAYBE (and that is a very, very big MAYBE) we could have got it.

You are right it is about resource management, and if they didn't work on the Originals we would have had next to no DLC. The games will always feature some form of story mode whether you like it or not, be it season, career, Road To WrestleMania, 24/7, or whatever name they're giving it. That will always get attention away from bug/glitch testing. Even if they happened to use the time they got from dropping story mode to fix every glitch in the game they'd still face a backlash for it.

As for create a belt, I'd rather a working create a belt over rushing to get it in and having it cause even more issues.

I will give you that we should be getting the in-game wrestlers' hair, make up, etc. in CAW mode as well as the arena parts in create an arena. Not many excuses for that.

Though, I do want to ask if having only creations suite parts and moves as DLC is a worthwhile buy. It doesn't sound like it to me.

I do agree they could add the WWE '12 style War Games, or at the very least let us create it in match creator. Honestly, Match Creator has so much wasted potential it isn't funny.

I can see where you are going with the fan support for GM Mode, but to be honest, to me it looks like either people are looking back on the mode with rose tinted glasses or are just going along with the hype and have never truly played it. I do agree that it will need a LOT of tweaking to get it to even get it to a playable state. Honestly, if you really want a GM mode I genuinely do recommend Total Extreme Wrestling. It's like 1/3 of the price of the WWE games and is everything a potential GM mode wishes it could be.

Archived