Getting Started

Crazy.

So I happen to have some spare time these days and could really start with another wrestling show. Been wanting to start following AEW since it's apparently the next big thing and I was just wondering if it's actually worth to watch on a near weekly basis and if someone could be kind enough to basically give me a gist of what exactly is going on storyline-wise, who the current champs are, what I should be looking forward to, any recent matches/promos that are worth catching up with, etc.

Basically a summary of the show as it is right now so I know what I'm in for when I start.

Thanks.

Anything involving Jericho or Cody is what you should seek out first. They've consistently been involved in the best segments of each show. Cody has had the best storylines and feuds (Cody/Dustin, Cody/Shawn Spears, and most recently Cody/Jericho) because so much care and thought have been put into them (it's quickly becoming clear he has a great wrestling mind). And Jericho is yet again delivering some of his best character work. His current incarnation is an arrogant, egotistical dick who feels AEW/the Elite should be thanking him for putting them on the map and bringing them success (he's not exactly wrong! lol). He also surrounds himself with a group called the Inner Circle who protect him like a kingpin. The group consists of Sammy Guevara (a promising lightweight heel who sticks his tongue out a lot but is quite good in the ring), Proud & Powerful (formerly LAX who are wild brawlers), and Jake Hager (formerly Jack Swagger who's Jericho's bodyguard but hasn't wrestled yet).

Beyond the stuff involving Cody and Jericho, the quality takes a dip. There's the Omega/Moxley feud which had some killer promos from Moxley but the storytelling imo wasn't as airtight as Cody's stuff. There's the tag division which had a tag tournament with a bunch of matches I personally didn't care much for but you if like modern indy wrestling you may like them. And last there's the women's division which is definitely the weakest part of AEW right now. The wrestling is rather subpar and the storylines are minimum. Riho, a small Joshi wrestler, is at the top of the division and gets the most airtime but she hasn't been involved in any actual programs. Really, the only angle that has real traction right now is Brandi Rhodes who, for whatever reason, has gone nutty and is now managing Awesome Kong who is slicing off strands of hair off her victims and wearing them as trophies around her waist.

Be on the look out for MJF. I'd say he has brightest future out of all the new faces. He's a PHENOMENAL promo and is one of the best heels currently on the scene. He hasn't been given much to work with yet but that just changed recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch All In, Double Or Nothing, All Out, and Full Gear. Aside from that, you haven't missed much. A few people to keep an eye on would be Darby Allin, Luchasaurus, Pac, Hangman Page, and the obvious ones like Jericho, Cody, Moxley, Omega, Young Bucks, etc. The weekly television show is pretty good to watch regularly if you have the time to do so. And...that's about it. Women's division is a dud right now. Tag division is solid. Inner Circle is a decent stable. You could feasibly catch up with every single show thus far...as the promotion hasn't been around for very long at all. But, I don't think that's necessary at all. Start with the PPV events...then try to catch the weekly show this week. Think that should be more than enough.

Archived