Jeb ★

Broken Out in Love

• Global Moderator
  • 39,748 posts
  • SEN (PS3): jeb2830
  • Twitter: @jeb2830

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

Breaking: Spider-Man Out of the MCU: Marvel, Sony Can't Reach Deal

According to Deadline, Marvel Studios will not produce any further Spider-Man films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, due to an inability between Sony Pictures and Disney to reach new terms that would have given Disney a co-financing stake moving forward.

A dispute at the top levels of both companies has essentially resulted in Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige being nixed from future Spider-Man projects, according to Deadline. Disney had asked for a 50/50 co-financing agreement between the two studios on future Spider-Man films. Again according to Deadline's sources, Sony turned that offer down. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement similar to the terms that dictated the first two Spider-Man MCU films, such that Disney would only receive 5% of first dollar gross. Disney refused that deal.

This is also potentially why Marvel Studios declined to announce a new Spider-Man film at Comic Con 2019. Sony still holds the screen rights to Spider-Man solo films, and is also the distributor, going all the way back to Sam Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man.

Deadline's sources state that two additional Spider-Man movies are in the works, and that actor Tom Holland and Homecoming and Far From Home director Jon Watts will still be participating. Producer Amy Pascal, who has worked on every Spider-Man film universe entry since Homecoming (including Venom and Spider-Verse) will also stay on.

This story is developing.

https://www.ign.com/...l?sf107511944=1

SAY SIKE RIGHT NOW
Bumping it here. Greedy af Disney

#43 LEGION

LEGION

• Members
  • 40,422 posts
  • Steam ID: Ectrasyl
  • Twitter: @SennaAsad

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#44 Monkey D. Jiggy

Monkey D. Jiggy

Kurosaki Ichigo

• Members
  • 24,575 posts
  • Twitter: @Jackel_Ramzilla

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Do your worst ISIS, I don't want to live anymore, I'm ready, come on, do it, take me out

#45 HiryuMK

HiryuMK

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

What is wrong with Sony!?

#46 Austo194

Austo194

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

Im very interested in what happens now.

#47 Jeb ★

Jeb ★

Broken Out in Love

• Global Moderator
  • 39,748 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

uMLI2In.jpg
https://twitter.com/...0763429890?s=19

#48 Jmerc

Jmerc

#TeamBlue

• Global Moderator
  • 20,699 posts
  • Gamertag: xJMERC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

Give them what they want Sony... dont screw this up!

#49 LEGION

LEGION

• Members
  • 40,422 posts
  • Steam ID: Ectrasyl
  • Twitter: @SennaAsad

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

giphy.gif?cid=790b76113ed5e91c8189c64745

#50 Generations

Generations

You want to see something...really scary?

• Members
  • 91,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

Hopefully nothing more than a failed bluff by Sony. 

I'll wait patiently while they backpedal us back in the direction of quality Spider-Man movies and admit they were wrong.

#51 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

Just make Spider-Man 4. Or give us a live action Spider-verse type movie with all three Spider-Men directed by Raimi. Would be dimes and you dont need any of the MCU stuff.

#52 Fight Me.

Fight Me.

Let me in.

• Members
  • 45,260 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

Spider-Man 4? #PizzaTime

#53 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:27 AM

The biggest irony here is that Spider-Man would be public domain if it werent for Disney *censored*ing with copyright laws.

#54 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,608 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:57 AM

I just want Tom Holland to continue being Spider-Man. 

#55 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 91,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:16 AM

Sheesh...I guess I have to force myself to go watch that abortion of a Venom movie finally...just in case the next Spider-Man is shamefully thrust into that universe. 

#56 WNX

WNX

Upper Midcard

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • Gamertag: WebbanationX
  • SEN (PS3): WebbanationX

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:11 AM

Just came back from Far From Home not too long ago. Saw the news while I was actually in the theatre. Hopefully they can get their sheeit together. Everybody needs to play nice

#57 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:40 AM

Im like seeing the reaction on Twitter and have no idea why Sony is taking the brunt of it. 50% for a property you dont even own is ridiculous for Disney to ask for. Especially when youre consuming all other media properties at an alarming rate as it is.

#58 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 91,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

Im like seeing the reaction on Twitter and have no idea why Sony is taking the brunt of it. 50% for a property you dont even own is ridiculous for Disney to ask for. Especially when youre consuming all other media properties at an alarming rate as it is.

Maybe because the Spider-Man movies made a shitload of money BECAUSE of Disney, and Sony should be happy to partake in those spoils to the degree that they do. It's not like Sony was making Spider-Man "must-see" before Disney came along. They damn sure weren't pulling a billion dollars at the box office.

And you're right...Disney is buying up properties at an alarming rate. Which is probably more good reason why Sony should aim to cooperate with them before they just force a hostile takeover (bound to happen). 

Edited by Generations, 21 August 2019 - 05:47 AM.

#59 Jeb ★

Jeb ★

Broken Out in Love

• Global Moderator
  • 39,748 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

Updates on the original IGN report:

According to THR, "Sony film studio chief Tom Rothman and Marvel president Kevin Feige have been talking for months. In the end, neither party was willing to cede enough ground to come to an agreement, leading to the breakup of the partnership and removal of Feige from his producing role on any future Spider-Man movies from Sony."

Of course, Deadline's report may have been a purposeful leak intended to rile up Marvel fans to try and force the two companies back to the bargaining table, given how beloved (and seemingly integral) Holland's iteration of Spider-Man is in the MCU, but it seems that neither Sony nor Marvel are currently willing to budge.

Deadline's sources say that Disney CEO Bob Iger had spent the past several months attempting to broker a new agreement for continued Marvel and Sony partnerships. Deadline's sources also say that Sony has reasoned that the studio will manage without Feige.

While one source told IGN that negotiations are ongoing, a separate source indicated to IGN that Deadline's initial report is accurate and talks have stalled, which seems to have been confirmed by Variety and THR's reporting, and Sony's subsequent statement.

https://www.ign.com/...l?sf107511944=1

#60 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

Maybe because the Spider-Man movies made a shitload of money BECAUSE of Disney, and Sony should be happy to partake in those spoils to the degree that they do. It's not like Sony was making Spider-Man "must-see" before Disney came along. They damn sure weren't pulling a billion dollars at the box office.

And you're right...Disney is buying up properties at an alarming rate. Which is probably more good reason why Sony should aim to cooperate with them before they just force a hostile takeover (bound to happen). 

Sonys not even close to being in the same financial situation Fox was in. Sony shouldnt just bend over and let the biggest studio push them around when theyre the ones who actually own the property and who actually put up most of the money to make the movie. Venom made a shit ton with out Disney. Spiderverse won an Oscar without Disney.